Tesco Value Sultanas gone up by 50%

Options
I couldn't believe the price shown on the shelf for Tesco value sultanas tonight so I asked the cashier to do a price check. A fortnight ago they were 64p, tonight they were 99p....same pack. :eek:

She confirmed that alot of their food stuff had jumped in price or had been pulled because it was too cheap!

Anyone else noticed any huge price rises?

Comments

• thatguy1
    thatguy1 Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    still 64p at Asda & Sainsbury's
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2011 at 3:50PM
    Options
    ionahenor2 wrote: »

Tesco value butter.. 250g.. was 98p a fortnight ago.. now £1.10 (12% rise).

How many of these price rises are due to the racketeers working the derivatives-based perishable commodities market?

I've heard that the British royal family uses its control of the Canadian grain market to manipulate the price of bread wheat, in addition to a number of other staple food products.

http://cecaust.com.au/articles/CanadianWheatBoard_EIR.pdf

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/1995/2249_windsor_food.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][SIZE=-1]
    Ten to twelve pivotal companies, assisted by another three dozen, run the world's food supply. They are the key components of the Anglo-Dutch-Swiss food cartel, which is grouped around Britain's House of Windsor. Led by the six leading grain companies—Cargill, Continental, Louis Dreyfus, Bunge and Born, Andre, and Archer Daniels Midland/Töpfer—the Windsor-led food and raw materials cartel has complete domination over world cereals and grains supplies, from wheat to corn and oats, from barley to sorghum and rye. But it also controls meat, dairy, edible oils and fats, fruits and vegetables, sugar, and all forms of spices.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ionahenor2 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe the price shown on the shelf for Tesco value sultanas tonight so I asked the cashier to do a price check. A fortnight ago they were 64p, tonight they were 99p....same pack. :eek:

She confirmed that alot of their food stuff had jumped in price or had been pulled because it was too cheap!

Yes I got some last night & was shocked too. Asda have now put their price up to 99p too, so it's not just Tesco.

But I had been expecting it - conspiracy theories aside, last year's harvest was very bad and it was only a matter of time until it hit the shelves. Especially with the price of oil being high (so transport costs through the roof) and currency exchange rates being all over the place. I sometimes wish I hadn't started paying attention to food prices, it's just depressing :(

Butter and flour are both up, but for some reason eggs and noodles have gone down! Egg fried noodles for dinner tonight then :D
  • dreamteamgirl
    dreamteamgirl Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently the swetcorn harvest was terrible last year too, so I am expecting an increase there too
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    thank goodness i have a good supply Will not be buying at that price , i wonder if they are the same price at morrisons
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • asbokid
    edited 13 May 2011 at 4:10PM
    Options
    All of these conspiracy theories about "poor harvests" serve those who gain from the price rise ;)

The food-producing cartels routinely flood the business newswires with propaganda of this type. The propaganda causes the price of futures in a commodity to soar, but not before the cartel traders have taken a sizable market position!

Through leveraging in derivatives, there is a thousand times more money to be made than from trading in the underlying commodity itself.

I know a derivatives trader who was penniless before lunch and with a (borrowed) stake of just £20k was a self-made millionaire by tea time.

The same derivatives swindle is played out in the oil spot market. 80% of the world's oil is controlled through the International Petroleum Exchange (IPE) in London.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][SIZE=-1]
    In a year 2000 study, Executive Intelligence Review showed that on the IPE, for every 570 "paper barrels of oil"—that is futures derivatives covering 570 barrels—traded each year, there was only one underlying physical barrel of oil. The 570 paper oil contracts pull the price of the underlying barrel of oil, manipulating the oil price.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    It's exactly the same derivatives scam with perishable commodities.

Those who claim that price manipulation of foodstuffs through the futures market is "just a conspiracy theory" are either deluded or on the make themselves!
  • OneHubbyOneSon4Debts
    Options
    Asda dried apricots £1.98 last week, Asda dried apricots £2.98 this week! :eek:

Tesco have just done the same, were £1.99 now £2.99!! :eek:
  • asbokid
    edited 13 May 2011 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Apparently the sweetcorn harvest was terrible last year too, so I am expecting an increase there too
    Again, this is propaganda.

The yield in the sweetcorn (maize) harvest was projected to be just 3.8% less than predicted earlier in the year.

"All this is just "shocker" excuses for speculation", says one analyst.

"The 2010 U.S. harvest [of maize] will still likely be the third largest ever, just less than forecast earlier."

In full at:

Behind Food Commodity Speculation Binge, Farm Potential Declines --
    http://www.larouchepac.com/node/16050
  • asbokid
    edited 14 May 2011 at 3:26PM
    Options
    slbhill wrote: »
    last year's [sultana raisin] harvest was very bad and it was only a matter of time until it hit the shelves.

Rubbish!

Last year's harvest was one of the best on record, according to the US Government's Foreign Agricultural Service.
    raisinproduction.jpg

The 50% increase in the shelf price of sultanas has much to do with the derivatives-trading scum who manipulate the wholesale price on the London and Chicago futures markets.

Tell us a bit more about yourself, slbhill, and explain where you get your intelligence on food prices ;)

http://www.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/psdReport.aspx?hidReportRetrievalName=Raisins%3a+Total+Production+in+Selected+Countries&hidReportRetrievalID=1717&hidReportRetrievalTemplateID=8
  • blackandwhitebunny
    Options
    Sainsburys fairtrade castor sugar:
    tues £1.25
    weds £1.39
    :eek:
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing