Great 'Best Tesco Rewards' Hunt

1235»

Comments

• lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Avoid using vouchers for P&O cruises. I had £990 to use and the internet price was £1330 each but the price qoted was £1830 that meant it would cost me £10 more than by paying in full for the 2 of us. I have returned my vouchers to Tesco. A pity as I had converted them at 4 times the value. I expect it would be the same for the other cruise companies as well.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    lesbro wrote: »
    Avoid using vouchers for P&O cruises. I had £990 to use and the internet price was £1330 each but the price qoted was £1830 that meant it would cost me £10 more than by paying in full for the 2 of us. I have returned my vouchers to Tesco. A pity as I had converted them at 4 times the value. I expect it would be the same for the other cruise companies as well.

I know that the holiday companies have a clause that says that Tesco vouchers can only be used against brochure price... Isn't that the same case?
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    ceivegz wrote: »
    I can't believe no one's mentioned train tickets via redspottedhankey.com...I now have enough CC vouchers to commute to work for free until the end of the year saving me an absolute fortune!

How do you get a season ticket?
    Or do you have to purchase the tickets one by one? I cannot find anything about buying weekly tickets on there...
  • aleph_0
    aleph_0 Posts: 539 Forumite
    Quiet_One wrote: »
    The x3 Tesco deal is good. But beware of booking on the site direct(without an e voucher). All the tickets I've compared have a mark up over and above those available from train company websites.

I don't think this is true. Redspottedhanky are impartial, and should be charging the same prices as if you bought (on the day/in advance) from the station, they're not adding a mark-up. So in general, this works out as very good value reward, as you are actually getting 3x.

However, there are two catches. Some train companies provide extra online-only advance discounts booking direct through their own website (most often, in the 10% region), or other short-term offers (London Midland and Southern being two examples). Also, there are basically two booking sites in the UK, the trainline-based ones (e.g. thetrainline, FGW), and ATOS-origin-based (e.g. redspottedhanky, EastCoast). Sometimes they make different decisions about where you should change, or which of two similar routes are the 'best', where one of the routes will take the same time, but is cheaper (which often depends on how many tickets on each train have sold so far).

This makes redspottedhanky best value if you only use it to buy tickets where the Train company doesn't have their own website-only discounts - so I'm mainly using up my vouchers on local Return tickets. :)
  • confused57
    confused57 Posts: 587 Forumite
    Back again having exchanged my hotel vouchers (Best Western) for a two night stay in the Hilton's York hotel. I had £280 total (I exchanged £70 in November when it was 4 x ) I booked the best available room because I didn't want to be left with just a couple of pounds worth of tokens but still had £10 left. After ringing the helpdesk they transferred the remainder back to my card.
  • D_Pom
    D_Pom Posts: 1 Newbie
    :T I used my points to get this reward too (I did stumble across it). It was really good value and is ideal for anyone who has to type. I got it for the two finger typer in my life but I have actually found it really helpful and it has improved my typing to!! Ideal for all ages especially worth a try for children who are now so reliant on PC's for school work even at a young age but not taught it at school!

My vote goes to “Typequick Professional”. It’s a software package that teaches you to type using all your fingers without looking at the keys. I got it for my husband. He went from two-finger typing to typing ‘like a professional’! I’ve got “Typequick for Students” for my niece as her school (like many) doesn’t teach typing!! It’s a skill she will be very grateful she learnt when she goes to Uni and later in her work life. I know how essential it is in your work life, as I learnt at College. I’m sooooo glad I learnt that skill! I came across the software by chance on the Tesco Clubcard website (seemed to be hidden-away – it comes under the learning tab!). It’s certainly excellent value at only £10 in vouchers. Makes a fab Birthday or Christmas present.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure