Great 'Best Tesco Rewards' Hunt

Comments

• salwal48
    salwal48 Posts: 6 Forumite
    We live on the Isle of Wight and always use vouchers for Wightlink Ferry. A car and four passengers can cost £90 + so it's a great use of them.
  • salwal48
    salwal48 Posts: 6 Forumite
    As well as Wightlink, I used them to join the RAC, thankfully because I've broken down twice on the M1 since I joined!!!
  • 06lizzie
    06lizzie Posts: 1 Newbie
    I use my tesco rewards for hotel stays, last year my husband and i stayed in a 4star hotel in edinburgh which cost £12 and for the last 3 years had a girls weekend to london in a 5star hotel for free.
    This years family holiday is to the isle of wight and will have a free ferry crossing and days out with our english heritage membership thanks to tesco. Days out and restaurants i use the remainder of my vouchers but tend to stay clear of using them for flights as can get good cheap budget deals online.
    Saving this years vouchers for family trip to eurodisney and the obligatory girls weekend jolly!:rotfl:
  • Thrift
    Thrift Posts: 20 Forumite
    Check the Days Out deals. We have used vouchers to buy entry to both Blenheim Palace and the Shakespeare Houses and have been able to turn our entry tickets into annual passes. Excellent value, especially if you live fairly close to an attraction that allows it. These attractions with multiple displays and exhibitions spread over a wide area are almost impossible to complete in a single day anyway.
  • cindyted
    cindyted Posts: 11 Forumite
    Blimy charlie, This many points can't be got with regular purchases surely? I have the Tesco credit card regulary 2K plus a month and only rake up enough points for a few meals out.

I have one of the first Tesco Credit cards and I have had a holiday in Sri Lanka, Malvives and Dubai (all in one holiday), A cruse last winter for 7 days on Princess cruises, and I am going to africa next month, all with Tesco vouchers.
    But because of the reduction in exchange ie, 3 times value instead of 4 times value and only being able to put £500 to a virgin holiday I am considering changing to BA miles.
  • TheLandlady
    TheLandlady Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2011 at 8:57AM
    We previously went skiing with Virgin holidays in Canada (my husband and I) using all Tesco vouchers from points saved up over 3 years. We didn't have to pay anything extra. We were saving for Virgin holiday again when they capped it without enough notice meaning you could no longer pay entirely in points for a virgin holiday and would have to add real money which wasn't an option for us. We had already changed some points for virgin holiday vouchers but Tesco allowed us to swap them to Princess Cruises who do allow full payment if you have enough points- so we were able to have a 17 night cruise in a balcony cabin, amazing!. We hadn't had a holiday for nearly 4 years since the ski trip. Since the points doubled we've been able to save up a bit faster, I also now 'shop for points'. If the opportunity is there to get extra bonus points and if it's something that I would buy anyway at some point (ha ha excuse pun) such as printer ink or wine then I treat it like putting 500 points (worth £15) into our holiday fund. I've also bought furniture (5000 bonus points) this year and ALL our fuel and food shopping from Tesco, nearly saved enough for cruise 2.
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have used mine to purchase my RAC membership for several years, but this year I won't have enough since the 4x value has stopped! I am very "old style" so don't spend a lot. If there isn't anything else that I want I'll save them so that they will pay for next year's RAC membership.
  • In the last 5 years my husband and I have had a 3-week trip to San Fran/Las Vegas/LA with car, at a cost of only £500 (after using vouchers), 2-weeks in Zante for just over £300, and we've just returned from a 2-week break in the Algarve for just over £240. However, now that we can only get 3 x times face value on vouches I may follow the same route as Cindyted above, and look at converting vouchers to BA miles instead
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I exchanged vouchers for English Heritage in November (so got 4x) then sent in the coupon just before the Easter Holidays - our membership came through in April dated to end April 2012 so we get 2 x Easters in a years' membership. For me & hubby it cost £20 Tesco points & we can take up to 8 kids each free! We went to Audley End Easter Sunday & it would have cost £32.50 for family entry so we've paid for it already, but are planning to do Framlingham castle, Orford Castle, Tilbury Fort, Audley end again (lots to see & do), Dover Castle, Wellington Arch & Beeston castle. That list alone is over £170 worth of days out & still worth it at 3x!

We also had a fab weekend in London for my Mum's 70th. I got a cheap hotel deal elsewhere for a specific hotel we wanted, although could have used clubcard points. We had a slap up meal at Chez gerard in Covent garden, took Mum on the Eye & went to the Britain at War Experience all on Tesco points. Then as a final surprise treat, we had tea at the Ritz, everyone lughed at me because I was so disappointed I had to pay full price for something! but the other savings helped make it more affordable I guess!

We have had holidays in the past, but haven't had enough points recently as we keep spending them on other treats, but I have reduced the cost of our holiday to France in the summer by getting a discount for not taking the ferry & buying Eurotunnel tickets using clubcard points.

otherwise treat days & meals out - Chessington, Chef & Brewer etc.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 May 2011 at 12:07PM
    We exchange a lot for restaurants - mainly Pizza Express. We don't live in city centre so going on 2for1 offer is not usually an option for us as we go at the weekend.
    This year I invited mates for dinner for OH's Bday, he had great a time and everyone paid just £10 for drinks.

When there was double offer for new Airmiles customers I exchanged lots of points then too. Now I need just extra few hundred and we can have 2 flights to Zone 2 or I can go to NY with little payment in cash:-)) But I think I am going to use those on one of those special weekly holiday deals when something good comes up.. as in few months we will be very flexible on dates.

This last time I used Tesco double up to get stepson PAYG Blackberry phone which he wanted and before then I got Gourmet dining card which I think will definitely pay for itself few times over with our love of restaurants:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure