🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cahoot Rip Off (merged)

Options

Comments

• v0n
    v0n Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    I suggested Abbey might be in dire financial situation when we discussed Cahoot's previous dirty trick - the summer "review of loans" that left most Cahoot accounts with funds of 10% above what they owe. It looks like it's a sinking ship - the loans section is relatively small when you compare them to things like Abbey's 5x salary mortgages for 30 years. If they try to release frozen funds from ventures like Cahoot by almost trippling APR in 2 years it only means they are clutching at straws.
  • bazzab
    bazzab Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I got same message about 14.9%.

Tried Abbey and they offered me a loan at something like 6.9%. Great I thought, until she started listing the monthly payments WITH PPI included which made the payments go up something like £35 a month. Hang on a minute I said, at no point did i agree to having PPI. Oh she said, I'll have to resubmit the figures without PPI. Back she came, oh, the APR has now gone upto 11.1%, and the monthly payments are now £10 less than having PPI. Oh I said, I might as well have the lower interest rate with protection at just £10 per month extra. No she said, i've submitted this and we can't get down to the 6.9% APR rate again!

How crap is the finance industry?!

Anyway, had to finally settle for 8.9% (haggled from 9.9%) fixed term/rate loan from alliance & leicester.
    October Comp Wins -Stella Artois Challice (FB)
  • ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bazzab wrote:
    I got same message about 14.9%.

Tried Abbey and they offered me a loan at something like 6.9%. Great I thought, until she started listing the monthly payments WITH PPI included which made the payments go up something like £35 a month. Hang on a minute I said, at no point did i agree to having PPI. Oh she said, I'll have to resubmit the figures without PPI. Back she came, oh, the APR has now gone upto 11.1%, and the monthly payments are now £10 less than having PPI. Oh I said, I might as well have the lower interest rate with protection at just £10 per month extra. No she said, i've submitted this and we can't get down to the 6.9% APR rate again!

How crap is the finance industry?!

Anyway, had to finally settle for 8.9% (haggled from 9.9%) fixed term/rate loan from alliance & leicester.

I dont think they can legally do that. It comes under some kind of financial incentive to buy the insurance policy, ie discounting the loan apr. But stand to be corrected.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    I'm furious with Cahoot :mad:

I only opened the loan account in October and borrow some money for home improvements. I've only made one monthly payment and they've told me the rate is going up from 9.1% to 14.9%.

I'm voting with my feet and will be closing the account and moving my borrowing elsewhere.

becles
    Speak to the FSA

I dont think they are allowed tpo put the rate up while you are in an advertised discounted time frame. FSA will know more.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • h4nym
    h4nym Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    OK - so where else can I get a fully flexible unsecured facility at a sensible price? Any thoughts on where to move our business to?

H
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Both Natwest and HSBC do flexible loans. Natwest's are between £5k-£15k but HSBC's are only up to £5k
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Options
    h4nym wrote:
    OK - so where else can I get a fully flexible unsecured facility at a sensible price? Any thoughts on where to move our business to?

H
    Credit Card.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I phoned Smile as I have my current account there. They've offered me a loan at 6.7%.

It's not fully flexible as I can't draw more out, but I'm happy with that as I'd rather not have any debt! I can settle early and will be charged a months interest as a penalty. I'm going for that as I think that suits my needs best at the moment.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • h4nym
    h4nym Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    roswell wrote:
    Credit Card.

OK - and what credit card doesn't charge for cash withdrawals? will allow you to fire a transfer directly into a bank account? and charges a sensible rate of interest to boot?

Not that I'm sceptical or anything!

H
  • aubrey_a
    Options
    Cahoot's new rates for it's Flexible Loan are now appalling. They have raised them from 9.4% to 14.9% with just a few days' notice. Do they just want all their customers to leave!? Anyone know who offers a better flexible loan rate?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport