IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private parking company tickets

Options
Have just received (28th April 2011) a letter asking for £94 for illegally parking in a staples car park in Bristol in November 2010. No notification was posted on my car at the time as I may have been in the car. Should I accept the penalty or just ignor it.
Apparently they have photographic evidence that my car was there but will not send me the photograph.

Surely they must put a notification on the car at the time, and is there a legal requirement to notify withing 14 days or so as the policie have to?.

regards

sparra67

Comments

• halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not illegal and it's not a penalty. Ignore ignore ignore
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sparra67 wrote: »
    Have just received (28th April 2011) a letter asking for £94 for illegally parking in a staples car park in Bristol in November 2010. No notification was posted on my car at the time as I may have been in the car. Should I accept the penalty or just ignor it.
    Apparently they have photographic evidence that my car was there but will not send me the photograph.

Surely they must put a notification on the car at the time, and is there a legal requirement to notify withing 14 days or so as the policie have to?.

regards

sparra67

It seems you are under the mistaken impression that a private company can fine you?!

They cannot, they have no such authority and the letters you get are a scam.

Read up on the other threads on the board, especially those by Crabman at the top, to see the letters these companies send and a link to Watchdog showing what to do with fake PCNs and letters from private parking companies:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Don't you dare write to them or pay it now you are on MSE. IGNORE THE LETTERS!! :p
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't it ironic though that they won't let him see the photos, I mean if this would ever go to court ( which it won't ) , how would they explain to the judge that we have photographic evidence but we won't let the person we are bringing to the small claims see it, perhaps they will apply for a ccj without going there as well ?
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought a PPC's CCJ stood for Chancers, C***s and Jokers. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • BargainHunter27
    Options
    I wouldn't worry one bit! i have had central parking/roxburgh/graeme white chasing me for a parking ticket for 16 months now, do not worry about the idle threats they make, simply throw the letter in the bin as soon as you see it, i wouldn't even bother to read the rubbish
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I'm surprised they are not going to say "yes we will show you the photos for £10/£20" just to try and get some money from you.
  • spellbound
    Options
    I think i've just done something rather silly.... I've received a parking fine from Parking Eye for £50 and send them this e-mail appeal.

I have received a parking charge notice today for £80 (£50 if paid before 4th May) for parking at Forster Square Phase 2 car park on 16th April 2011.

I know this sounds incredibly naive and stupid but I genuinely never noticed any maximum limit parking signs at the retail park. I wrongly assumed as it is a retail park the parking was unlimited.

I'm utterly shocked to receive this parking ticket and upon investigation I realise that there is a limit of 3 hours to this car park because of the proximity of the football ground (I checked online for the parking information). I do not dispute there may be signage at the carpark but I can honestly say I never noticed it. It did not occur to me at all that there were limits here as I have parked here in the past and still not noticed signs.

Be rest assured I will never park here over the stated time again and to be honest i'm extremely worried now at my lack of awareness of the parking i'm nervous about parking anywhere else in case this happens.

I was a genuine shopper on this day, I can provide receipts to prove this. There was no ulterior motive for me parking for longer than is stipulated I simply did not know.

I appeal to you to reduce this charge, it is very expensive for a genuine mistake and I assure you that there was no intention to flout the rules of the car parking there. I absolutely will not make the same mistake again but please re-assess this charge. I accept that you are perfectly within your rights to fix me with a penalty charge but £50 for overstaying by 1 hour is excessive. Please give this consideration.

Kind regards

i've realised that i'm basically saying i accept they can charge the fine, have i shot myself in the foot?

Spellbound
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    spellbound wrote: »

i've realised that i'm basically saying i accept they can charge the fine, have i shot myself in the foot?

Spellbound

You will be OK, just ignore these clowns from now on. And, by the way, this is not a FINE.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just ignore everything they send you.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    A contract has not been accepted because the signs were not seen, but that is besides the point, from now on ignore anything associated with this unenforceable invoice.

And it's not a fine, only the police and courts can give fines, councils can give penalty charge notices, but this is not one of them!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure