£100 M&S + £95 Quidco = £50 Freesat HD Box

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've not recorded anything for goodness-knows-how-long! Videos are the very devil to get, and I'm blowed if I'm buying a DVD recorder, just for it to be obsolete in 18 months. The novelty of Sky+ won't last long...

This is all sage advice. At least I'm barking up the right tree...

recording to VCR and a Sky/V+ is a different beast
    you will soon get used to being able to pause live TV and record (in my case) the end of programs or films that are coming on as im going out/going to bed

PS, GPO? is Buzby still doing your phone ads as well?
  • jamesaberry
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    recording to VCR and a Sky/V+ is a different beast
    you will soon get used to being able to pause live TV and record (in my case) the end of programs or films that are coming on as im going out/goingto bed

PS, GPO? is Buzby still doing your phone ads as well?

Regarding GPO - Old habits die hard. We only got a touch-tone telephone last year, we prefer the dial telephones as you can repair them if they are faulty. Telephone menus made us buy a push button!

I am excited about pausing television for a tea-making trip!
  • custardy
    Options
    Regarding GPO - Old habits die hard. We only got a touch-tone telephone last year, we prefer the dial telephones as you can repair them if they are faulty. Telephone menus made us buy a push button!

I am excited about pausing television for a tea-making trip!

you will soon wonder how you did without it
    I have actually just done the same as you,though Im dropping Virgin as they have issues with HD audio sync and separate audio solutions
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    you will soon wonder how you did without it
    Have to agree - we never used to record much til we got a Freeview recorder 3 years ago;now we have ~ 40 hours of programmes recorded waiting to watch on both the Freeview set up and our Sky+ box:rotfl:
    It meant that we could take advantage of the very unseasonal weather this long weekend - we will watch the stuff we have recorded when the English Summer resumes normal service!!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • jamesaberry
    jamesaberry Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2011 at 8:12AM
    Options
    I'll bake a humble pie - it sounds like I might need one in a week or two!

I don't particularly want Sky, but I do want to add to our savings by taking advantage of a cheaper telephone and internet service. We only really use the internet through the telephone as an emergency, as our telephone line into the house is prehistoric and we have to use a mobile stick to get any internet with a speed worth having.

iPlayer and any other streaming video is out of the question!
  • jamesaberry
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm back to eat humble pie; Sky+ is very handy indeed - particularly the "pause" button!
  • custardy
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm back to eat humble pie; Sky+ is very handy indeed - particularly the "pause" button!

lol,I was the same
    thought we had managed for years without pausing live TV so whats the fuss
    you soon get used to it
    even with no Sky/VM service I would still want a PVR with pause/record features
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes the abililty to fastforward through adverts is (almost) worth the monthly subscription! When we now watch live TV we pause it for 10 mins, go make some tea, come back and play, when the adverts pop up we can fast forward through them as we're essentially 10 mins behind the live transmission.... no more adverts. bliss.

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • jamesaberry
    jamesaberry Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely ingenious!
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's great! - by having about 10 mins worth of live tv buffered, when you skip all the adverts you catch up with the time the programme ended anyway so you're no worse off

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport