£100 M&S + £95 Quidco = £50 Freesat HD Box

We currently pay £249 a year for telephone through the GPO and for internet with O2, as we have an O2 mobile 'phone.

As we had to upgrade our television to a colour flat-screen now the transmitter has been switched off, we wanted to try the HD Freesat - but a Freesat HD box is about £100. The last owner of this house had Sky television and so on seeing the £100 M&S voucher plus Quidco deal, we have signed up for Sky.

The mathematics:

O2 internet + GPO telephone = £249 a year.
Sky television, internet and telephone = £307 a year (after cashback deals)

The difference is £58.

After 12 months (the Sky contract) we can cancel Sky and keep our Sky+HD box. That can then, in turn, be used to watch the Freesat and get the "free to watch" HD channels!

Thank-you, Sky. You've very kindly subsidised our upgrade to HD colour television!

I hope I'm correct. I'm rather pleased with myself and have undoubtedly miscalculated.

James.

The box will, essentially, cost us £58 over the year.

Comments

• daggy
    daggy Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    I could very well be wrong here, but I believe you have to pay sky a one off fee to have the HD part of the box activated for freeview

although, it's not mentioned on their website
  • daggy wrote: »
    I could very well be wrong here, but I believe you have to pay sky a one off fee to have the HD part of the box activated for freeview

although, it's not mentioned on their website/QUOTE]

I think you're right. Is it £20? Even so, £78 is, I think, a good price for a FreeSat HD box!
  • daggy
    daggy Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    daggy wrote: »

although, it's not mentioned on their website/QUOTE]

I think you're right. Is it £20? Even so, £78 is, I think, a good price for a FreeSat HD box!

I'm not sure of how much they charge, mate.

I agree with you, £78 for the box is spot on really
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    daggy wrote: »

Once you cancel Sky, you will still receive the HD channels.

BBC HD.
    BBC1 HD.
    ITV1 HD.
    C4 HD.
    Five HD.
    Luxe HD.

You don't have to pay any one-off fee. However you will lose the ability to record anuything.
  • jem16 wrote: »
    Once you cancel Sky, you will still receive the HD channels.

BBC HD.
    BBC1 HD.
    ITV1 HD.
    C4 HD.
    Five HD.
    Luxe HD.

You don't have to pay any one-off fee. However you will lose the ability to record anuything.

We've not recorded anything for goodness-knows-how-long! Videos are the very devil to get, and I'm blowed if I'm buying a DVD recorder, just for it to be obsolete in 18 months. The novelty of Sky+ won't last long...

This is all sage advice. At least I'm barking up the right tree...
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    and I'm blowed if I'm buying a DVD recorder, just for it to be obsolete in 18 months.

I wouldn't buy a DVD recorder either unless you specifically want to archive stuff.

I would buy a Freeview or Freesat recorder though - much better than watching ads!
    The novelty of Sky+ won't last long...

Don't bet on it.....;)
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

Well I pumped 'Freesat HD box' into Google shopping and found a Sagemcom box for £90 with free delivery. I'm not sure I'd want to got though all the hassle of switching to Sky and then unswitching just to save £12.

But then so long as you're happy, who cares.

• jamesaberry
    jamesaberry Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2011 at 4:23PM
    jem16 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a DVD recorder either unless you specifically want to archive stuff.

I would buy a Freeview or Freesat recorder though - much better than watching ads!

Don't bet on it.....;)

I think it'll last only a week or two as most of Sky is repeats anyway. It's a money-saving exercise for us, only. They'll also install the cables , saving us another £100 or so!
  • jamesaberry
    jamesaberry Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2011 at 4:11PM
    antrobus wrote: »
    Well I pumped 'Freesat HD box' into Google shopping and found a Sagemcom box for £90 with free delivery. I'm not sure I'd want to got though all the hassle of switching to Sky and then unswitching just to save £12.

Well you should stump for that then! I think that my £12 saved also gives me a year of television too. As I said, it's a money-saving exercise, and this is a money-saving community.

£19 is a month's interest on £7000 in my (4% gross interest) current account. Picking up pennies in the street netted me £50 last year, so I don't think of it as "just" £12; It takes a time to earn that. You wouldn't sniff at £12 off a shopping trip, so why turn any amount of money down?

I agree - less hassle, but far less rewarding!
  • antrobus wrote: »

Sorry, but I've given your post a little more consideration; I think it's unfair to quote a £12 saving.

Surely you would also need to buy a satellite dish to go with that box and have it installed. I bet that would set you back £100 or so. Sky are going to do it for free!

As you mention, I am happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport