🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Damage to Driveway from delivery

Options

Comments

• baz995
    baz995 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol i didnt realise there were so many tarmac enthusiasts on here.
  • macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    normally they have small print on the back of the delivery note saying in the form of all deliveries are to the kerbside only and if anywhere else at the drivers discretion...might be worth having a look at the note
  • anotherbaldrick
    Options
    baz995 wrote: »
    thats a damn good point about the manhole, thanks will need to get some advice about it tomorrow. I must also say that its not that fairly obvious imho as there is a 2 tonne skip just out of shot on the drive with no dramas there. Thanks for your input though.
    Watch out for the support outriggers on the skip lorry when you move that or you will have two more holes in your drive.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thats a damn good point about the manhole, thanks will need to get some advice about it tomorrow. I must also say that its not that fairly obvious imho as there is a 2 tonne skip just out of shot on the drive with no dramas there. Thanks for your input though.

The point is that a skip, even when loaded, will distribute the weight evenly across it's base.
    The truck's outriggers are quite small and take a lot more weight proportionally, hence the collapse.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • baz995
    baz995 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sorry i forgot to say that what the photo shows is my drive (black tarmac) and the neighbours drive. What you can see is the edge of my drive, the manhole is on his drive and all the loose/poor repair section is actually his drive. I have removed the fence that was in between as it was a bit rotten so i said i would fit new panels and posts for my neighbour if he bought them (which he did)

So looking a the pic that isnt all my drive, hope this clears up any confusion or alleged employment of !!!!!! by me :-)
  • picnic
    picnic Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    should the driver have laid planks of wood down to spead the weight from the feet?? would have saved the holes in the tarmac.....
    Life is like a box of chocolates........
    too much all at once and you start to feel just a little sick...._ _pale_
    SW start weight 13st 3lb
    SW currant weight 12st 8lb
    SW weight lost 0st 9lbs
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    and skip people specifically EXCLUDE liability for damage such as this and make it the hirers responsbility.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    vehicle 'on driveway' shock!
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    Did the driver ASK where he should deposit the load?
    In other words, did you give him permission to enter your drive? Your responsibility to judge whether the drive was substantial enough.
    Asphalt.... rarely good enough.

Had the same with paving slabs broken some years ago, but my Wife gave permission for the van (large) to enter the drive. They threw this back at me when I complained, but I pointed out that my Wife was not in a position to understand that damage may occur, and the truck driver should have used his more experienced judgement instead. They paid for the slabs however, but I had to replace them myself.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I suspect that you signed for the delivery, and on that delivery note there will be a waiver absolving the company of damage to your property and that you certify that you accept all responsibility for the decision of allowing them on to your property. Take a close look...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport