Damage to Driveway from delivery

Options
Hi all

thanks for looking and for any advice in advance, i had a pallet of bricks and some sand delivered today and the lorry that delivered them used the crane on the back to get the goods onto my drive, he had to extend his outriggers and used the plates for the feet to sit on, just tidying up and putting stuff away for the night ready to start work tomorrow and walked past the skip to find this!

2104332011069.jpg

2dd1042011070.jpg

what should i do and what are my rights? many thanks

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    The tarmac would've been soft with the heat. You need to report it to the company in question and get them to send someone out and take a look.

Ring your insurance company and see if your drive is covered, they will give you some advice. If it is then your insurance copany will deal with the delivery people directly on your behalf.
  • Newbie2saving
    Options
    That is bad, we had a delivery van reverse with the loading tray down into our drive, it left two wide dents on either side of the drive. My DH took photos and phoned the delivery company. They found out the size of the van which delivered the goods, matched the measurements we gave them, and admitted responsibility. Also had neighbours confirm noise of van reversing into drive. All in all we pushed for the driveway to be redone and the delivery company paid for it through their insurance. It took a matter of weeks altogether.

You should be able to prove it was their kit which caused the damage, weather probably didn't help as maybe the tarmac was soft in heat (?), but in that case they should have explained and either delivered on another day or in different location.

Good luck.
  • Newbie2saving
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    The tarmac would've been soft with the heat. You need to report it to the company in question and get them to send someone out and take a look.

Ring your insurance company and see if your drive is covered, they will give you some advice. If it is then your insurance copany will deal with the delivery people directly on your behalf.

I would pursue them to go through their insurance company rather than yours initially. Document everything, phonecall time, people you've spoken to etc, etc, will help build your case if there is an issue.
  • baz995
    baz995 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow thanks for the prompt replies, I love this forum. Will phone them tomorrow and ins company tonight.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Options
    Is this damage on a drive or a path?

Just because they caused the damage doesn't necessary make them liable. For instance if it's drive that not been laid properly then they wouldn't be liable.
  • baz995
    edited 21 April 2011 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    Is this damage on a drive or a path?

Just because they caused the damage doesn't necessary make them liable. For instance if it's drive that not been laid properly then they wouldn't be liable.

its to the driveway cant say how it was laid but its been there for at least 30 years with no dramas :-)

not sure i follow your post?
  • anotherbaldrick
    Options
    There is a manhole alongside, from the way the driveway sub base has collapsed i would be more worried about the condition of the manhole brickwork and the drain than a hole in the surface.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    It is fairly obvious from the photos that the drive was not up to the job. Which I would have though was hardly the fault of the delivery people. Just because it had been there for many years means nothing. It was not of sufficient strength to take the load. Oh! I see that baz995 has already expressed the same opinion.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • cutandshut
    cutandshut Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Check also their terms and conditions for delivery. Sometimes they state 'kerbside delivery only' and anything else is at your risk.
    That tarmac obviously has no proper base. It looks like it's been laid by a member of the travelling fraternity.
  • baz995
    Options
    thats a damn good point about the manhole, thanks will need to get some advice about it tomorrow. I must also say that its not that fairly obvious imho as there is a 2 tonne skip just out of shot on the drive with no dramas there. Thanks for your input though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure