An Open letter to RYANAIR

Replies

• Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at this article. You may be due more than you have been offered!

http://www.elections2004.eu.int/highlights/en/804.html
  • Hi

I/m afraid you might have to put the whole episode behind you - I think it highly unlikely that you will get any kind of reimbursement from Ryanair ! I would try a letter detailing your experience but be prepared for it not even to be acknowledged and then I think you will have to forget the whole thing unfortunately.

On the whole the "lo-cost" carriers will not pay out any kind of compensation payments. The new EU regs mean they have to feed you in cases of delays over 2 hours and even put you up in a hotel if they cancel the flight. However I think the compensation payments will be few and far between as most airlines can class any kind of delay as "extraordinary " which means no compensation!!!!

Sorry !
  • beefsterbeefster Forumite
    730 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If you want cheap flights this is the risk you take............
    Had the same prob myself last year. Diverted from Knock to Dublin! Make you own way there etc.
    If you want to ensure you are pandered when you get cancelled etc pay £100+ with B.A. or similar.

Personally I will take the rough with the smooth to travel all around Europe for under £50.
    I save so I can spend.
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    peterbaker wrote:
    5. At about the time the announcement was made, another albeit smaller inbound scheduled aircraft operated by SAS landed indicating that the runway was operational and that the crosswind was, at least at that time, not too great for this smaller aircraft.

You stated this was an hour later, the fact that the runway was now operational bears no relation to the fact that over an hour earlier it could have been un-operational and hence your original plane had to be diverted.
  • The flight was cancelled and the staff called numbers 1-20 to rebook on next available flight. Would you not have been rebooked if you had stayed in the airport. I feel once you have accepted a refund, that puts an end to the contract you had with Ryanair.
    SallyD
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    peterbaker wrote:
    Oh hello Woby_Tide - I might have guessed it wouldn't be long before you stuck your oar in:-)

Are you a commercial pilot perchance?

oooooo lend us your handbag dear
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a "No, but don't bother asking people what they think you should write in your letter then if someone points out something you were going to write is irrelevant to the complaint get all prissy and upset about it"
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    in that case I'd write your letter and express your dismay at the Ryanair pilots judgement. You could maybe offer to be their eyes on the ground for future flights.

And unfortunate attitude? Sticking my oar in? How can you not 'stick an oar in' on a chat forum?
  • We are all happy to pay a little for ryanair flights and in general I have had a resonably good experience with them. My gripe is with the passengers who fly with ryanair, you know the sort first on the plane first off the plane. Whats all this queueing malarky about?

You didnt state when you flew but if I was going to a northern european city in Winter I might be thinking that the weather may affect my flights. But ryanair is a business that cares about itself than the needs of its bucket price passengers, and they openly admit that "sometimes". In deed they have just ordered another 70 planes to increase their network.

I suspect that ryanair made a commercial decision not to land at your airport that evening. I once went on a flight with ryanair that was diverted to another ryanair airport to pick up 10 passenegers.

My thoughts are that you should send a letter with the facts only stated and not your opinions. I would ask the airport to confirm the conditons on the ground at the time your flight was supposed to land as hard eveidence of the conditions. Your letter should then be copied to The telegraph,and the times newspapers travel editors as they may take your case up for you.

We all should highlight if we are unhappy about things otherwise it will not be rectified for future travellers.

I have done lots of cheap flights and done a lot of europe recently BUT I am now converting back to the scheduled airlines as they now offer more realistic costs. I am happy to pay an extra 20/30 quid for a dedicated seat at the airport of my choice at a sensible time to travel.

But again I contradict myself because this year i am flying with thomson sky to pisa £17 E/w, sky europe £17e/w to poland and flybe to perpignan £16.99 and B Airways to paris £22 e/w all plus airport taxes. however having recently flown with British airways to new york I know what my future preferences are.

We went with skyeurope to budapest recently and totally unannounced we went via poland and the flight was delayed 2 hours. Maybe I should have complained but I think that cheap flights are what they are and eventually the prices will go up and then none of us will go anywhere. Its better to have an experience than none at all.
    The best work is the cheapest as the quality remains long after the price is forgotten
  • andy88_2andy88_2
    3.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your proposed letter is (unsurprisingly) much too long and contains a wealth of irrelevant detail. You will not get much joy if you continue to suggest that your opinion and judgement surpasses the operational decisions of the aircraft crew, especially if you take the case to outside tribunal bodies.
    Had I been tuned to 119.27 I am pretty sure what kind of information I would have gleaned and I dont think it would have prevented a landing unless the aircraft was very heavy (which I doubt) AND the runway had a significant depth of snow on it.

However, I did see the enormous queues for my flight caused by the previous nights cancellation and although Aarhus is quite a long runway, I would guess that a takeoff with full load might have been close to limits if the runway was not completely clear of all snow.
    The history of aviation accidents is littered with cases where the crew ran themselves out of options and into increasing danger.

I might drive my car for 800 miles without refuelling, happy down to the last 2 litres. But aircraft do not operate like this; they carry reserves to allow say two missed approaches at the destination followed by diversion to an alternative, with holding times.

You mentioned that you saw snow-clearing vehicles in operation, that there was a strong gusting crosswind and drifting snow. If the aircraft had waited an hour as you suggest, it would have eroded margins for diversion; the crew would have been continually reconsidering several options, not your only one.

The world is fortunate indeed that your impetuous lack of self-criticism or reappraisal ("I would guess that a takeoff ...") never ended up in aviation. Snow on the runway is not a matter for guesswork. If we were to poll a number of pilots, I think you would get little support. They can practice such accidents in the simulator.

From my own position of semi-ignorance, I would count any snow or ice at all on the runway as dangerous, especially with a strong gusting crosswind. Aircraft braking relies on engine reverse thrust and wheel braking. Anti-lock braking systems, now common on most cars were invented on aircraft. But I still think you'd skid off the runway.

So drop any criticism of the crew.

Your decision-making until the flight the next day seems to have happened without direct reference by you to the airline. You should have waited to talk to them that evening to see what the possibilities were. It's odd that you make no mention of thinking about the next morning flight, or negotiating that the airline transport some of the other passengers to alternative airports.

I think that you should be entitled to something, but you would probably find that the airline's T&C are carefully worded for such cases, and your voluntary decision to reorganise yourself without reference to them may have damaged your position.

I flew to Vilnius just before Xmas, and while driving back, the car broke down. So I flew home and returned in mid-Jan after repairs. On all 3 flights it was snowy, but there was not a speck of snow on runways, taxiways or parking areas. The return from Schoenefeld was one hour late. With information on train times from my mother, I caught a taxi from Luton to Waterloo as I judged it impossible to get from St Pancras to Waterloo in 9 minutes to catch the last train home. Did I send the taxi bill to Easyjet? No.

So, as donnie_darko suggests, base your case entirely in fact without any temptation to include opinion. Is this fair comment? - above, you've even hypothecated Ryanair responses to your hypothetical remarks about their maintainence standards. Drop criticism of the check-in people the next day for not discussing it (they told you who to talk to), and any idea of quoting your imaginations of the critical opinions of staff that do not even work for them.

Most of all, forget the idea that your request for advice here entitles you to argue with most of the people that responded.

I think you should compare the price for the flight you took with what it would have been if the reduction in capacity of all flights had not forced up the price at short notice, then make a case for refund of the difference. And cite the disorganisation that evening and hope for them to offer a hotel fare.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides