New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Strawberry or weed?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
24 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think, as soupdragon10 says, just wait & see, who knows it could be a rampant weed or a juicy strawberry, bit too early to tell, you may get more clues when it flowers
  • MrsEmMrsEm Forumite
    49 posts
    OK thanks everyone, fingers crossed they turn out to be strawbs & edible!

Although Miskool may also have helped me find a way of protecting my garden against charms and spells according to the link - so I'm quids in either way! Thanks!

What other mystery plants have people found today?

Cheers
    MrsEm
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...
  • misskoolmisskool Forumite
    12.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    creeping cinquefoil, that's the one I was thinking of! (but it may still not be the right one..)
    http://www.lawnweeds.co.uk/creepingcinquefoil.html
  • pssopsso Forumite
    1.2K posts
    I have plants in my garden with leaves like strawberry leaves and when it flowers they are on longish stems held above the leaves, pinky red colour. Can`t remember what they are though, think it was maybe potentilla ?
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • annie123annie123 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    It looks like an ornamental strawberry (wild strawberry) to me, leaf stems look too long for regular ones, if it gets pink flowers with tiny berries on then it is.
  • edited 17 April 2011 at 7:12PM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2011 at 7:12PM
    I think it is an avens (geum) too).I have lots of geum in my garden.
  • JodyBPMJodyBPM Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a weed to me, sorry!

I grow lots of strawberries (cultivated varieties, alpine and wild) and strawberries tend to grow lower to the ground than this, and also the leaves tend to be a darker green (although obv hard to tell the exact colour from a photo). I'm not an expert, though, so could be wrong.

Since it looks like its in your lawn, would it not be a good idea to dig it up and pop it into a pot, and then see what happens? If it is a weed, at least you will stop it spreading through your lawn, and if it is a strawberry then it will live quite happily in a pot.
  • cootambearcootambear Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Right, from the pic they are definatley strawberries. I doubt they are false strawberries because they are too proud. However, they are surrounded by other plant life, If you want them to survive, remove all surrounding weeds, strawbs being shallow rooters have no chance against weeds.
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • MrsEmMrsEm Forumite
    49 posts
    Thanks all.Wasn't actually in mylawn - I'd dug it up to show hubby / take a pic to post on here...but have potted that one to see what happens & left another 5-6 in situ...fingers crossed...
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...
  • cootambearcootambear Forumite
    1.5K posts
    shows us a pic when / if it flowers then we will know for sure :)
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support