We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Strawberry or weed?

Options
MrsEm
MrsEm Posts: 49 Forumite
I'm having a go for the first time this year...now clearing a corner of the jungle that I hope to turn into the veg area & found this - the leaves look like pics of strawberry leaves from my book but am I kdding myself? Is it a weed?

Tx
Mrs Em

What%20am%20I.jpg
MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...

Comments

• blissfulbabe
    Options
    I'm not an expert but have just spent the morning planting out strawberry plants and, I have to say, they look just like the plant in your photo.
    Don't judge people on they way they look, the way they speak or what they're called because they can't help that.

Only judge people on what they say and what they do.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope so too as my jungle also has lots of these in :o
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Think its a strawberry plant, just looking at the window box and its looks the mature leaves on mine.
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    Might be wild strawberries which have fruit which are smaller than the cultivated varieties. One of those wait and see situations as you won't know for definite until it flowers and fruits.
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    Strawberry. 100%
    :p
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I say "Weed" the leaf edges are more spiky than strawbs, and I think I have similar growing in the front garden. I'm not an expert as I don't like strawberries.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is a weed that has strawberry like leaves but you can differentiate it when you dig around by the roots. Can't remember what it's called now, just off to have a look
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    Doesnt look the same as my plants...the base looks different,id say weed.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it's not quite what i was thinking of but could it be wood avens?
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    I know nothing about plants but I like a good mystery. Search google images for strawberry plants and it looks like strawberry leaves are quite round, whereas the wood avens leaves are more oval/pointed. Your plant looks rounder to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure