Lovefilm Free Trial: Alert

Options

Comments

• codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    turtle wrote:
    Then when I saw my films where back and it stated I had none I cancelled saying my DVD was now broke.

Did you cancel by email or telephone?

Just wondered in view of "saying".
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I cancelled with LoveFilm no problem however a few tips. Obviously leave plenty of time before the end of your trial so this can work:

1) Clear your list of DVDs so there is nothing on it. That way they shouldn't send anything else as there is nothing to send.

2)Send back any DVDs you have, and wait until they are confrmed as received by LoveFilm.

3)Now cancel your subscription. Do this online after 10pm that way you dont have to phone LoveFilm.
  • I have cancelled with a LoveFilm trial three times before (I'm a student and move home a lot, have 4 different credit cards, and 3 different email addresses :rolleyes:). Never once have I had a problem, but I must admit, that you do need to follow, to the letter, the advice given above, i.e. empty list, send DVDs back the next day, wait until confirmed received, and then cancel. It's a lengthy process, but I'm just coming to the end of my 5 month's for the price of 1 (2 month trial I got this summer, then the 3 for the price of 1 offer which they managed to reel me in on for trying to cancel - which they'd better not do again cause I really need to study now!!!!) and should do the same (hopefully they're not reading this or might crack down!)...
    MSE: It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! :beer:
  • Vindiesel
    Options
    i have just posted a complaint about Lovefilm...Grrrr...they don't offer customer service..I keep expecting Jeremy Beadle to pop up, they are such a joke...bin em i say, the only way companies this bad take any notice is if we vote wioth our wallets and purses!
  • codger
    Options
    I don't want to embarrass anyone who's posted here, but it has to be said. . .

The constructive advice given by other MSErs here is in complete contrast to the umpteen other Lovefilm threads circulating on the Internet, where people are floundering and where actual help, as distinct from anger and indignation, is notable for its absence.

A big thank you then to all those who took the time and trouble to come to the rescue with detailed, time-tabled -- and timing the cancellation process is obviously critical where Lovefilm is concerned! -- information and advice.

MSErs Rule KO! :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
  • mrslawrence2003
    Options
    I have cancelled with a LoveFilm trial three times before (I'm a student and move home a lot, have 4 different credit cards, and 3 different email addresses :rolleyes:). Never once have I had a problem, but I must admit, that you do need to follow, to the letter, the advice given above, i.e. empty list, send DVDs back the next day, wait until confirmed received, and then cancel. It's a lengthy process, but I'm just coming to the end of my 5 month's for the price of 1 (2 month trial I got this summer, then the 3 for the price of 1 offer which they managed to reel me in on for trying to cancel - which they'd better not do again cause I really need to study now!!!!) and should do the same (hopefully they're not reading this or might crack down!)...

just to add my tuppence worth - i cancelled lovefilm a couple of weeks ago with no problem. i still had a disk at home when i cancelled, but sent it back the next day and then a couple of days later rcvd confirmatio nthat my account was closed.

however, i had joined screenselect with a free trial of 6dvds - i had not realised that automatically after 2 weeks i would start being charged by lovefilm, regardless of whether i'd had 6 dvds (i'd only had 2!!!!). that put me off right away and when i complained i got nowhere.

also, lovefilm failed to pay out through quidco, and i have queried it to be advised that they have recognised i joined, but will only pay half the amount!

evil bar stewards!!!!
    carve your name in red. the silver slipping and slicing. rose petals blossom and fall. soul steals away.

• cossie
    cossie Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    I recently took up this offer of lovefilms free trial to be told of the cons they do by a friend sadly i had signed upto these already so has i heard the news of them conning people i cancelled my account (on the same day i opened it )

I then received an email to confirm my cancellation and then about a couple of hours later i noticed another email off them stating that i have reactivated my account. (of which i havent )

I then went to my local cash point in town to notice that some of my money out of my bank account had been taken.

I phoned my bank straight away to find it was lovefilm .

I have since phoned lovefilm 3 times who have informed me that they have no money of mine

I have received NO dvds off lovefilm whatsoever has i said before i cancelled the same day has i registered with them and they still took the sum of 20 quid from bank account .
  • MissMuppet
    MissMuppet Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    I took a subscription out with Sainsbury's, that then got taken over by Lovefilm and the service didn't get worse, or better for that matter.

I went to cancel back in October and they offered me 3 months free rental. I will be calling them to cancel next week before my first payment is due out after the 3 months free...

I haven't personally had any problems with them, when they were having problems a couple of weeks ago they actually sent me an extra dvd to apologise for the delays. They have been quicker than Blockbuster in most cases too.

Plus I am still on the Sainsbury's tariff which is £7.97 a month instead of £9.99 so there are no complaints from me about them... yet! :D
  • codger
    Options
    Cossie:

Enough is enough! I don't want to monopolise this topic but your experience has been -- still is -- awful.

How many other twenty quids are currently in Lovefilm's possession to which they have no legal entitlement and which they claim not to have?

None? It's just you who've been unlucky?

Hmmm.

Rather than update this thread again, which means anyone affected by Lovefilms has to keep scrolling through, I'm posting a separate short information topic on this board.
  • turtle_3
    Options
    codger wrote:
    Did you cancel by email or telephone?

Just wondered in view of "saying".
    I cancelled online ( tesco's site ) at 8.15 pm , as I notice here people have said you can't cancel online before 10pm.As for the advice as the 3 steps to take to cancel I thought that they would be commen sense.

@ COSSIE I would write to them asking for your money back threatening legal action as you had followed the correct procedure for cancelling and also have a confirmation email that your account has been cancelled.If they don't give you a satisfactory answer after 14 days I would send them a letter before action giving them another 14 days then start a claim against them in the small claims court .But thats only because I wouldn't let anyone take any of my money that they are not entitled to .
    OR you can ask your bank to start a charge back seen as you again have the confirmation email of cancellation.

Buisnesses only do these tricks because the vast amount of people let them because they don't think its worth fighting for aprox £10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure