🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Old cheque can I still bank it?

Options
Just found a cheque dated May 2010 can I still bank it?
MFW 2016 No 68 £1300/£8500 No new toiletries Cook sth different

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very unlikely. I asked something similar in RBS recently and was told up to about 6 months is ok but after that it needs cancelled and re-issued.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2011 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Validity period is largely at the discretion of the bank. The fixed legal limit is 6 years (as it is the same as any other form of debt in terms of 'acknowledgement').

Usually, 'discretion' is 6 months from date on cheque.

How much is it for?
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • skaps
    skaps Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    Options
    £10 thanks will try tomorrow
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Technically, the answer is no.

However, if I was in your position, I would still try to pay it in ... just not at the counter, but at an immediate deposit machine if your bank has these. (The reason for this is that if you pay it in at the counter, it's easy for the cashier to say 'No' and hand it back to you. If you pay it in at the machine, you'll have left the branch by the time they check it, and it's far more hassle for them to write a letter to you, extract the cheque from the pile in the machine, and send it back to you, especially for a low value cheque).
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also tried something similar recently, they can present it for cashing but the originators bank may refuse to pay out and therefore charge you for presenting an old cheque, I had an RBS cheque and paying into HBOS, they told be the charge is £25 which wasn't really worth doing as it was for £6.

Depending on who the cheque was from they may be willign to re-issue this for you, I've done this a couple of times with people who i've given cheques to on prize winning cheques with an association i'm involved in.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • skaps
    edited 12 April 2011 at 9:08AM
    Options
    I don't want to be charged £25 for a £10 cheque - think I may leave it
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    smitchy73 wrote: »
    I had an RBS cheque and paying into HBOS, they told be the charge is £25 which wasn't really worth doing as it was for £6.

I don't understand your post ... HBOS told you that there'd be a charge of £25 if Natwest refused to pay the cheque??

There's certainly no charge for this on personal accounts. Most business accounts, however, charge a small amount for unpaid cheques inwards.
  • skaps
    Options
    The cheque is with Barclays and the account it is going into is either a natwest or santander account.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Generally no, unless it states on the cheque, for example some share dividend cheques are often valid for 12 months but it does state that on the cheque.

Under normal circumstances it is 6 months and you would now have to ask the original drawer of the cheque to write you a new one and request the old one back for them to cancel.

Hope that helps.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about cheques issued by HMRC? Would they be payable beyond 6 months, either through policy or through their bank not noticing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport