EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

The best mince pie pastry ever?

1505152535456»

Replies

• goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've made these, really impressed despite over cooking them slightly. Let down a little by Tesco mincemeat but that's all I could get at the time. 

January I'm going to make my own mincemeat ready for next Christmas 
    May I recommend Delia's recipe? I made it for the first time in Dec 2020 and it's an absolute cracker. Everyone that I've fed it to has loved it and I still have one kilner jar full in my larder which I'll be using to make my mince pies on Christmas Eve while listening to the Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings on the radio. I made mine in my slow cooker which was quite economical as well. I don't recall exactly which setting I used or how long I cooked it for but could dig out my notebook if you need the info. 

Scallops
    . A host of legends surround this, one of the loveliest of seafoods, except when overcooked. My favourite true story concerns the young lady scallop preparation worker, interviewed by the 'New Yorker' Magazine. When asked for her honest opinion of the shellfish she said "They don't have much personality".
    From Patrick Anthony's International MENU Dictionary.
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've made these, really impressed despite over cooking them slightly. Let down a little by Tesco mincemeat but that's all I could get at the time. 

January I'm going to make my own mincemeat ready for next Christmas 
    May I recommend Delia's recipe? I made it for the first time in Dec 2020 and it's an absolute cracker. Everyone that I've fed it to has loved it and I still have one kilner jar full in my larder which I'll be using to make my mince pies on Christmas Eve while listening to the Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings on the radio. I made mine in my slow cooker which was quite economical as well. I don't recall exactly which setting I used or how long I cooked it for but could dig out my notebook if you need the info. 
    Thank you, I've not made a Delia recipe for years, but think I may have made this many many years ago. 
    Also made Nigella's fat free one which was also rather tasty 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £1451.33/£2023
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I did Delias too, but added a few extra bits, tangerine juice and zest [because I had them] , more cognac, obviously, it tasted lovely and fresh before it was cooked not so much after, so i added more zest and juice..And  lot more nuts.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...