PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to make socks last longer

Any ideas?

Most of my clothes seem to last for several years. Even charity shop shirts are good for a couple of years. But socks seem to wear out after only a few months.

I buy Primark ones for about £2.50 for five pairs, but more expensive ones from Marks' don't seem to last much longer.

I get 70% cotton 30% nylon, which is supposed to wear well, but all that means is that the weft of nylon remains after the cotton warp has worn off.

I keep my toenails trimmed and use pumice stone on my heels.

I darn the socks but effective darning usually takes up more wool than the sock is worth, and patching takes a lot of effort and time.

Any suggestions?
'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    have u tried wearing 2 pairs at once?
    Are the insoles of your shoes rough, causing your socks to wear out?
    Do you walk around in your socks at home?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Are you wearing socks that are a little too small, therefore stretching them too far ?

Try the next size, if they are not too bit (too bit can cause damage to your feet, as can too small).
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i'v been having the same problem with primark socks. even more annoying, or the rre occasions that we happen to use the tumble dryer, the bloody things shrink *shakes fist in anger* :D

am still looking for answers meself, have tried wearing two pairs, but that doesnt seem to make much of a difference and only creates more washing.

*wanders off back to the drawing board*
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    i'v been having the same problem with primark socks. even more annoying, or the rre occasions that we happen to use the tumble dryer, the bloody things shrink *shakes fist in anger* :D

am still looking for answers meself, have tried wearing two pairs, but that doesnt seem to make much of a difference and only creates more washing.

*wanders off back to the drawing board*

If you are shrinking them in the tumble dryer, it is too hot!! I tumble for about 10 mins, then take them out and hang in the airing cupboard to finish drying.
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • I've often found that cheap socks are a false economy. Primark aren't too bad, but most market stall socks seem to run like buggery and either shrink or the elastic goes and they wrinkle like old lady's stockings.

They're not the sort of things you can get from Charity shops and I refuse to pay the outlandish prices charged by high street shops and Jermyn Street outfitters.

I've found the best quality/price mix are Woolworth's socks, but they don't seem to do them much anymore. Officer's Club aren't too bad either.

I've thought about wearing two pairs at once, but that would double my laundry!

It's not my insoles, because I always wear shoes with full leather lining. I think it's probably just because I walk a lot (being frugal has its disadavantages in this respect!)
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My husband goes through socks in this way too, so I decided to buy the tesco value range I think they were 3 pairs for 99p and they have lasted better than any others
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    glad wrote:
    My husband goes through socks in this way too, so I decided to buy the tesco value range I think they were 3 pairs for 99p and they have lasted better than any others

I got some of those for my mum (she wanted the mens ones!!) and they are fab. I think its two pairs for 75p for the ones I got.
    Blah
  • vanoonoo wrote:
    I got some of those for my mum (she wanted the mens ones!!) and they are fab. I think its two pairs for 75p for the ones I got.

I wear men's socks too and they seem to last for ages. I don't know if this because they are tough and macho by nature (Q? Do socks have natures?) or because they are nice and roomy on my size 7 feet. Mine are M&S wool rich knee length ones and I can't remember the last time I bought any - 4/5 years ago maybe?

Another factor could be that I turn them inside out before putting them in the washing machine. An old lady recommended turning all woollens inside out when washing, so that the outside of the "pile" gets rubbed when you wear them and the inside of the "pile" gets rubbed when you wash them. Double the rubbing I guess!?! Anyway seems to work.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    I buy socks in bulk packs, all the same. That way if one gets holey, you don't have to throw the pair away.

One problem I had was the lining on my trainers wore thin and the hard shell gnawed away at my heels - holes in socks and huge lumps of hard skin on my heels. The only solution unfortunately was new trainers. You can buy pads to stick inside the heels of shoes so they don't rub your skin.

My son just grew out of a sock size so now I'm wearing his cast offs! It means I have to go out in public in Harry Potter socks but hey, it's better than throwing them in the bin ;)
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I also buy packs of socks all the same but different types forall the kids so they can see which belong to who. This is partly so you can get rid of one worn sock but also because we are always losing odd socks. Holey socks are reborn as shoe cleaners.

I suppose I don't mind buying a couple of £5 packs of socks now and again - mine last for ages but hubby's/sons' wear out much faster. I expect it's a combination of them being heavier on their feet, they walk further than I do and they walk around in socks - even outside (that harpy screaming 'Get your shoes on' is me).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure