how much does it cost to own a static caravan?

Options

Comments

• Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    Would it be a better idea to buy a decent trailer tent - the sort that goes up in 30 seconds and you can then go when/where you want? Ive been looking at the Combi Camp ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSV3nBfDd4

http://www.combi-camp.co.uk/

Had a couple of combicamps over the years and they are a great way of getting away cheaply especially if you buy a used unit with extras thown in.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Static caravans are a great idea if you think about it carefully and plan your finances correctly. Many people buy one and then sell within a couple of years which loses them thousands. Think of them in the long term (5yrs plus) and you will get the most financial benefit out of them. I am on my second van and spend approx 100 nights a year and am on a site which does not allow renting, which suits me fine. Many of my neighbours live there year round, except the 7 week closed period.

You can pick a nice second hand van for 15,000 - 20,000. Buy nearly new and benefit from someone else's expensive mistake LOL

Things to consider:
    Do you want to go to the same place all the time.
    Do you (possibly) want to not take foreign holiday or trips elsewhere
    Can you afford the running costs & travelling costs
    Do you want to recoup some costs by renting (not all sites allow renting)

Things to consider on site/area:
    All there lots of kids/dogs this will be a +- depending on your own demographic
    Does the site have entertainment or very quiet +- depending on your style
    Is the site secure with gates/ctv
    How long is the site closed in the winter
    Are you allowed to rent
    Does the site have a max age for van before removal (this is less common than it used to be IME)

My costs approx:
    Ground rent £1,800 pa
    Insurance £280
    Gas (Bottled -we have gas central heating and occupy during Autumn, Winter and early Spring)
    Water (Metered)
    Electricity (Sites by law cannot mark-up tarifs but may charge a maintenance cost)
    Total Gas Water Elec £300
    Winterization £60 Site staff drain down and reconnect for me
    Council Tax £100 Reduced as a second home

Hope that helps
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    Haven are a joke! You can't sell off site so you will lose when you leave. They might make promises about renting out your van but will always fill theirs first. If you get an agent they also might not be able to even cover site fees. If you rent out yourself it will be work. You need someone to clean and do laundry if you aren't living nearby. Also as someone mentioned you need to check out the rules with "old" vans not allowed on sites. You need to drain and antifreeze in winter & remove stuff to help avoid damp.

For the amount of cash you'd hand over to rip-offs like Haven you'd be better spending that money on several holidays in the same or different places with none of the hassle.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    Options
    Fran wrote: »
    Haven are a joke! You can't sell off site so you will lose when you leave. They might make promises about renting out your van but will always fill theirs first. If you get an agent they also might not be able to even cover site fees. If you rent out yourself it will be work. You need someone to clean and do laundry if you aren't living nearby. Also as someone mentioned you need to check out the rules with "old" vans not allowed on sites. You need to drain and antifreeze in winter & remove stuff to help avoid damp.

For the amount of cash you'd hand over to rip-offs like Haven you'd be better spending that money on several holidays in the same or different places with none of the hassle.

I sold a van off site from Haven three years ago without a problem and know at least 20 other people who have done the same. I was charged £50 for the van to be disconnected and pulled to the site entrance on the agreed collection day. Everything went smoothly and I received no hidden charges.

I agree with the comments on renting. Haven type sites involve a high turn over of renters who will not respect your property. I've witnessed some sights that would curl my hair if I had any. Repairs and cleaning are expensive. I would never rent a van on Haven that I wished to stay in myself. Haven will always rent out their fleet first and the sites are bloated with private owners touting their vans for rent which pushes the prices down.

The sales team turn over is bewilderingly high and they all talk absolute bobbins (always check figures, do your homework and read the t&c's)

Having said all that, if you want a loud, cheerful site with loads of entertainment and facilities Haven do it at a lower price than most IME
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • jim22
    jim22 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2011 at 11:02PM
    Options
    Hello everyone. My parents had a static caravan from the early 70s until their passing very recently on Trecco Bay, Porthcawl South Wales. I have to say that I had some of the best childhood/and adult experiences in my life. I met my wife on that camp. The last one my parents bought 35 feet by 12 in 1997 cost 28k. You can now pay 45k for central heated/double glazed with a garden. Ground rent 4k plus which does not include gas/elec, insurance. There is also an annual gas test which I believe is £50. It is not a poor mans thing which it was in the 70's/80s. At the moment they are selling new vans for 15k which have a 12 year stay. But the devil in the detail would need to be inspected. In the old days when caravans could stay virtually in perpetuity we used to paint the metalwork underneath. Nobody bothers anymore because of the tenure on site. You can rent out on this site with premuims in August per week of £500. The camp will provide cleaners at a cost for a rental turnaround if you dont live close enough.
  • adviceforall
    Options
    Our caravan is on a Haven site and you ARE allowed to sell your caravan off site, they might not make it easy but you are allowed to do it, whether its a private buyer or a dealer. Haven even produce information on how you can sell your caravan, including off site.
    We let our own caravan and it takes very little time, we dont bother with Haven letting it as its been fairly easy to fill the weeks ourselves with some advertising. We have been letting since 2001, if it was as terrible as people make out on here we wouldn't still be there. We generally fill from March to November with very little gaps between lets.
    There is no "age" rule as such nowadays as long as you caravan is kept in a good condition, so you are not forced to change or take it off site any more.
    It may not be for everyone, as for having to have your holiday in the same place each time, what some people do is they exchange their caravan with someone else on a different Haven park, so you can get to experience different places without it costing you any more money than if you had stayed in your own caravan.
  • markandkate
    Options
    If you buy a static caravan you will find that the site owner can dictate how much the re sale value is and who you can sell it to. You can lose as much as half of the value immediately.

You should not need to pay council tax if you are paying it elsewhere, if you do not have another address then you will be liable for it.

As discussed site fees are between £1500 and £2000 per year depending on the site facilities. some site fees include utilities and some not .

My in laws were retired and lived all summer on a lovely site and just came home for the odd weekend and so they really got good value from it but if you are working you would probably be better off renting cottages etc
  • Titch88
    Titch88 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Ours (My parents bought it) is in Blue Anchor Bay, run by Hoburne holiday parks. It's goregous! Such a nice break away and I love going down there.

Ours cost about 25k to buy new and the yearly fee I actually don't know the exact but according to the website, depending which location your home is at, it is a maximum of 3.5k.

I think it was a great investment as it will be used for years and years into the future! It's ideal if you have a spontanious get up and get away attitude as my parents hardly ever plan in advance when to go, they just pack up and leave for the weekend with my sister.

I'm living away from home now but even so, I can decide to go whenever and just ask for the key. I'd say do your research well and find somewhere you know and love.
    We had friends who owned one who we went to visit and loved the place so much which is why my parents made the purchase.
    Also nice for a break if you can't afford a long holiday abroad, at least you still have somewhere to go and relax :)
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    Titch88 wrote: »
    Ours (My parents bought it) is in Blue Anchor Bay, run by Hoburne holiday parks. It's goregous! Such a nice break away and I love going down there.

Ours cost about 25k to buy new and the yearly fee I actually don't know the exact but according to the website, depending which location your home is at, it is a maximum of 3.5k.

I think it was a great investment as it will be used for years and years into the future! It's ideal if you have a spontanious get up and get away attitude as my parents hardly ever plan in advance when to go, they just pack up and leave for the weekend with my sister.

I'm living away from home now but even so, I can decide to go whenever and just ask for the key. I'd say do your research well and find somewhere you know and love.
    We had friends who owned one who we went to visit and loved the place so much which is why my parents made the purchase.
    Also nice for a break if you can't afford a long holiday abroad, at least you still have somewhere to go and relax :)

I don't doubt its a great thing to have (especially if your parents buy it!) but there is mno way its a great, good or even moderately Ok as an investment!

Maintenance fees of £300 a month year round and steep depreciation take care of that

Nice to have use of one but I certainly wouldn't want it coming out of my wallet
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't doubt its a great thing to have (especially if your parents buy it!) but there is mno way its a great, good or even moderately Ok as an investment!

Maintenance fees of £300 a month year round and steep depreciation take care of that

Nice to have use of one but I certainly wouldn't want it coming out of my wallet
    With respect we had a week away in Greece last year and it cost £2.4k without spending money inc. Poster was really talking from their parents point of view IMO. We have a rental and we are looking to get a good return this year
    Maintenance fees of £300 (is this your yearly fees or above and beyond it ??) Dont buy a static rental or otherwise unless you intend to use it or work hard to get a return from it. Its not cheap but very relaxing.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport