how much does it cost to own a static caravan?

Options

Comments

• sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    With respect we had a week away in Greece last year and it cost £2.4k without spending money inc. Poster was really talking from their parents point of view IMO. We have a rental and we are looking to get a good return this year
    Maintenance fees of £300 (is this your yearly fees or above and beyond it ??) Dont buy a static rental or otherwise unless you intend to use it or work hard to get a return from it. Its not cheap but very relaxing.

Not the point I was making really

The post i replied to was mentioning a great investment but fees of upto nearly £300 per month (not year) plus financing a £25k depreciating asset do not make this a a great investment , especially on a money saving site

The poster sees it as a great invtestment (as I would in fairness) because he gets to go whenever but isn't paying for it ;)

And £2.4k before spends on a week in Greece is hardly money saving is it? You do have to compare like for like

I have no problem with static caravans and have enjoyed many a holiday in one, but they will never (or very very rarely) be a "great investment" in money terms
  • Badwanger
    Options
    Sorry, I can't post links so search the site for "Best Caravan Parks" or look at my previous postings.

If you would like any further info, I am happy to help.

B.
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    Options
    my parents have one in wales- site fees are around £3k, gas is bought on site and vans are limited in age (cant remember if its 10 or 15 years old)

speak to the site, you will be surprised how accomodating they will be if they think they can get £3k a year out of you by being nice and answering some questions
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • adviceforall
    Options
    Sunshinetours: what exactly do you get for £300 per month maintenance? We have a static caravan and don't have a monthly maintenance fee at Haven ?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2011 at 5:52PM
    Options
    I looked at a random, reasonably priced, unit. 8 months' occupancy. 10-12 year license from new depending on the model bought. It worked out that depreciation and site fees was £6k/year. Some sites I've seen fees of £6k/year, so that'd be closer to £10k/year to have them sitting there.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For that outlay and being a bit canny on booking you could have 2 Caribbean holidays plus a month in Goa and a few to the Canaries and no hassle !
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    Sunshinetours: what exactly do you get for £300 per month maintenance? We have a static caravan and don't have a monthly maintenance fee at Haven ?

No idea - not my caravan if you follow the thread above. £3500 a year sound horribly expensive to me and as Pasturenews points out, as I said it can never be described as a great investment when you factor in depreciation.

No annual or monthly site fees is pretty rare I would say as well?

Many people also finance their purchase aswell for an additional cost
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not the point I was making really

The post i replied to was mentioning a great investment but fees of upto nearly £300 per month (not year) plus financing a £25k depreciating asset do not make this a a great investment , especially on a money saving site

The poster sees it as a great invtestment (as I would in fairness) because he gets to go whenever but isn't paying for it ;)

And £2.4k before spends on a week in Greece is hardly money saving is it? You do have to compare like for like

I have no problem with static caravans and have enjoyed many a holiday in one, but they will never (or very very rarely) be a "great investment" in money terms

Still dont really understand the £300 a month maintenence (is this your yearly fees broken down monthly)if so about right . If not ?? This is a money saving site where we value the cost of living and the price of a pound . 2.4 k for a week in Greece means nothing unless you know what i got for my money and how many people it paid for. Same its only not a bad investment if you can get a return from your outlay against the price you paid and yearly fees you have to pay. I had a holiday home investment until recently on another holiday park that i got a return of about 25/30% per year(for 10+ years) clear after all fees It was a happy family park with nice neighbours etc. It got bought out by the "North Wales !!!!!" They started moving the goal posts .Doubling rents changing leases etc I sold my static back to where i bought it from 13 years earlier walked away as did other neighbours. That site is now 5* luxury costing excess of 6k PA in fees and do not allow sub-let.Very empty most weekends and a bolt hole for the rich and famous and their familys (thats not money saving) Some people who own on our present site stay there most of the time for 44+ weeks and with fees and bills of around £3k pa for about 300 nights Thats a tenner a night.Not a bad investment in lifestyle IMO
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • slyracoon
    slyracoon Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    Do you really want to holiday in the same place every year?
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Do you really want to stay at home every weekend/easter/summer/half term/bank holiday/ christmas /retirement > P.S < My 2.4k Grecian holiday was paid for from my holiday let account.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport