We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Beating Stress and Worry

13

Comments

  • (((Dawn)))

    It's soo stressful not only having the debt, but also keeping it from people and trying to hold your head high in front of family, friends, etc...

    I have to agree with the other posts though - to be able to chat openly about my debts and worries on here is amazingly theraputic! It makes me feel halfway "normal" again, just to know that I'm not on my own... and the odd glass of vino or 2 certainly helps as well :D
    Proud to be dealing with my debts:dance:
    Lightbulb moment 16th November 2006: Debts totalling £28,584.49:eek:
    Mutual Supporters Club Member! (Nov 2006) :grouphug:
    DFW Nerd 252 :cool:
  • dawn35
    dawn35 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Thanks once again everyone for being so caring and understanding.

    Its such a shame that we have to go through all this stress and worry, such a waste of life really. I agree that there are some very important lessons to be learnt from being heavily in debt, i.e dont do it again lol.

    I do know somehow out of somewhere i will get some strength to manage my way through this and knowing me the way i do ill probably start to get angry at all the people chasing me...probably not the best approach so i better learn how to channel anger lol

    If anyone fancies a chat in the evening or has msn , at a loose end etc, then please feel free to pm me and maybe we could kill a couple of hours and help each other out. I know for me, especially at the moment its important to be in the company of people who understand and are non judgemental.

    Thanks once again everyone. You all made my day a little more bearable.

    Dawn xxx
  • weymuffred
    weymuffred Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Well done for posting on here. I plucked up the courage to do it last week as I felt the same as you, still do, I think I did the right thing by coming on here as there are a heck of a lot of nice,kind, friendly people who are willing to listen and offer extremely excellent advice. pm if you want to contact me as I am always awake at night worrying about how I can get out of the mess I am in.
    Have you got a job yet? :think:

    NO? Then :shhh:
  • Dawn,
    I just want you to know that I understand exactly how you feel and at one point considered killing myself over my debt...(I'm ok now!)
    I'm over £50K in personal debt and I kept it secret for over 2 years from my husband. It was truly awful. I thought there was NO WAY I could ever tell him...
    I did, it was horrific, but he is standing by me. I am paying the debt off slowly but surely-I literally work 24 hours a day 7 days a week (I child mind and have children over night if you're wondering how. I also do Virgin parties and have 2 children under 4) so, the money is finally coming!
    It is the scariest, most stressful thing in the world but the point I'm trying to make is that you REALLY need to talk to someone! Tell your brother, tell your son, tell whoever it takes to get some support.
    You will be ok. It doesn't seem like it now, but you will.
    Please feel free to PM me if you just want a chat,
    Bunny
    ps
    CCCS are helping me.
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • dawn35
    dawn35 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Thanks guys

    I read your post weymuffred, i think your very brave for remaining on here quite frankly.If id had got that treatment id have probably dont something really stupid cause im low enough as it is, in saying that i meakly stuck up for you lol!.

    Bunny thanks as well, i hope you all mean it about pm's cause iwill be doing it lol!

    Love you signature btw, been reading self help books by any chance !!!!!;)

    Dawn xxxxx
  • dawn35 wrote:
    .Any tips. apart from drinking myself into oblivion????

    The best thing you could have done was ask for help, and you did; MASSIVE congratulations to you for taking such a hard step.

    I realise that this is not exactly the practical advice you were seeking and others will advise accordingly; I just thought it important to say well done. I have had depression for many years and asking for help was the single best thing I did, even if it was the hardest thing in the world to do.

    You will get through this.
    :p I'm the only gay in this forum :p
    *Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads*
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,306 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    Can I just ask how you got into all this debt so quickly?
    Think you said that this time lasy year you had no debt?
    Thinking of you & sending you huggles
    Take care
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • dawn35
    dawn35 Posts: 73 Forumite
    I was a compulsive gambler/

    Ive been in recovery for 4 months and doing very well, however the gambling got me quickly chewed me up and spat me out.

    That for me is my biggest shame. Even though im under the doctor and a physcatrist for Bipolar disorder its like ive just woken up from and dream and stepped into a nightmare.

    It breaks my heart.

    Dawn xxx
  • Aww Dawn. You will get through this.
    I know this will sound "easier said than done" but another thing I do, when I get so sick and tired of worrying, is I make a deal with myself.

    Everytime I think of a negative, I HAVE to match it with a positive.

    If things get so bad that the negatives outweigh the positives, then it's time to switch off....go out for a run (if you can!), a walk, do some cleaning or just sit down and think about people who are worse off.

    Keep coming on here as much as you can, read about other people, see what other little tips you can pick up (I've been on here since Feb 2006 and still learning odd bits & bobs here and there!)....absorb yourself in other people's stories.

    As Brandon Flowers sings "When you can't hold on...when you can't hold on......hold on..."
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • As Brandon Flowers sings "When you can't hold on...when you can't hold on......hold on..."

    Agreed...and not just because that guy is so damn yummy!
    :p I'm the only gay in this forum :p
    *Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads*
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.