Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE
The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE
28 and only just worked out how to run a house!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
85 replies 30.9K views
Having recently discovered this site I was amazed atthe money saving opportunities with online shopping, mobile and utility bills etc. and was fully embracing the whole 'money saving thing'.
Ha, I thought, I'm ever so clever -I'm 28, I don't have any debts, don't have an overdraft, own my own house, lived away from home since going to uni, etc. and now can make even more savings on my spendings......
And yet..... how is it I spend a fortune on food shopping when there's only me, I end up throwing everything out as it goes off, I'm always at the supermarket, i've cupboards full of flash cleaning products that never get used, and there's NEVER anything in the house to eat except 3 000readymeals and biscuits....???????????
I've discovered this board and now I know - I didn't know how to run a house!!!Have been feeling very very stupid in the last few weeks. Okay I've got a degree, been to uni and got a teaching career, but oh my god I'm sooo stupid!
My mum, fabulous as she is, has never taught me about running a house. It's just not done now, neither have my friends' mums. Was at school in the 80s and 90s when we were learning about having careers, taking over the world and going to M&S to get your microwave lasagne for tea.
So thought I would amuse you all by listing the most blindingly obvious things I have learnt in the past couple of weeks which are helping me to both save money and time and have a much nicerlife!!
1) I can make my own 'ready meals' like lasagne and spag bol and freeze them so I spend less and know what's in them!
2) I can freeze things other than ready meals and bread, so don't have to throw things out.
3) I don't need 28 different cleaning products - stardrops does everything, and it actually achieves the shine I've always been searching for.
4) You don't have to put the recommended amount of washing powder & conditioner that it says on the box
5) You can make the same soup as the Covent Garden Soup company and it doesn't take 3 weeks to make!
6) You can make whole meals using bits in the cupboard and don't need any more bl**dy ready meals!
7) Finally working out what to do with herbs, spices etc.
8) Freezer boxes - Ahh that's why they're called freezer boxes - they're nt for storing the chocolate biscuits in.
9) Freezing bread in bags of a few slices stops me having to defrost a whole loaf
10)Using up left over apples to make apple compote, ditto slightly soft potatoes - get off my bum and do something with them rather than binning everything i spent a fortune on last week..
The list goes on, and yes I know these things are blindingly obvious to you lot, but they weren't to me. Sorry for waffling but its been a revelation, and I'm still learning....
Memo to self; I do not need more shoes....::rotfl: