NOW CLOSED - Northern Rock 4% AER, 180 day fixed rate notice account (max term 5 yrs)

Options
SnowMan
SnowMan Posts: 3,365 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 6 April 2011 at 11:31PM in Savings & investments
This Northern Rock 5 year fixed rate notice bond (issue 2) allows penalty free withdrawals with 180 days notice. See the Northern Rock website.

As a consequence, although it is not competitive as a 5 year bond, it can be run as (say) a market leading 6 month bond by opening an account and then immediately giving notice.

In fact it can be run for any term from 6 months to 5 years by giving notice, and so at 4% AER it is directly comparable and offers a better rate (with better options) than other fixed rate bonds up to about 2 years term.

It appears that you can give the 180 days notice but then choose not to make the withdrawal when the 180 days is up which is a useful option if interest rates remain low.

Note you need to choose the annual interest option (and not monthly) to get the 4% AER.

It is a reincarnation of a previous Northern rock 5 year bond (issue 1) offering 4.3% which is now closed. However see this thread for some of the options on how to use the terms of this account to your advantage.

I’ve created a new thread as I think this account may be overlooked by those say looking for a (non-ISA) 1 year bond.
I came, I saw, I melted

Comments

• SnowMan
    edited 30 March 2011 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Just to add the previous version of this account wasn't about for long (albeit it offered a 0.3% higher interest rate).

So need to be fairly quick in opening and funding it if interested (additional deposits won't be allowed after the account closes, although they allowed about a week(ish) to get money in after closure on issue 1)
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • samizdat
    samizdat Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    SnowMan wrote: »
    This Northern Rock 5 year fixed rate notice bond (issue 2) allows penalty free withdrawals with 180 days notice.

[snip]

As a consequence, although it is not competitive as a 5 year bond, it can be run as (say) a market leading 6 month bond by opening an account and then immediately giving notice.

In fact it can be run for any term from 6 months to 5 years by giving notice, and so at 4% AER it is directly comparable and offers a better rate (with better options) than other fixed rate bonds up to about 2 years term.

It appears that you can give the 180 days notice but then choose not to make the withdrawal when the 180 days is up which is a useful option if interest rates remain low.
    Thanks very much - have been looking for another account of this type.
  • tillycat123
    tillycat123 Posts: 971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks have just applied. They will be getting all my Lloyds vantage money!
  • SnowMan
    Options
    Just bumping this up as not showing in the top savings account article, so this account could be easily missed.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SnowMan
    Options
    It's now in the weekly email (and in the top savings account article) so you will need to be quick to open and fund before it closes.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • ashily24dee
    Options
    All this kind of things going to happen in world.. Their is no way to stop this??
  • charlieboycat
    Options
    The T&C link on the N-Rock website appears to generate their general savings accounts T&C, not the T&C for this bond. Anyone got another link that works please? Thanks.
  • Johnny_Doe
    Johnny_Doe Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Applied now need to transfer vantage dosh into it lol
  • SnowMan
    edited 6 April 2011 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Charlieboycat, I think that is all there is in terms of information on the account.

The main terms and conditions specific to this account are shown on the main account page

Clicking on summary box and rates on the rights then brings up the pdf summary of the account.

The information from those pages then gels with the general terms and conditions you mention. These contain useful information such as how the 180 days notice works in practical terms (e.g. it explains in section 4 how there is a short window after the 180 days is up to actually withdraw the money).
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • charlieboycat
    Options
    SnowMan wrote: »
    Charlieboycat, I think that is all there is in terms of information on the account.

The main terms and conditions specific to this account are shown on the main account page

Clicking on summary box and rates on the rights then brings up the pdf summary of the account.

The information from those pages then gels with the general terms and conditions you mention. These contain useful information such as how the 180 days notice works in practical terms (e.g. it explains in section 4 how there is a short window after the 180 days is up to actually withdraw the money).
    Thanks SnowMan. Think I'll get Mrs CBC to apply online this afternon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure