edited 29 March 2011 at 10:35AM in Old Style MoneySaving
966 replies 80.5K views

Replies

• edited 6 April 2011 at 2:35PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2011 at 2:35PM
    Hippeechiq and NickJW, more great recipes, thank you :beer: I've added them all to the index

All the recipes offered are the kind of things I wanted, I knew I'd get good help here, thanks everyone :T I also found a couple more I'd forgotten about in the index :o

Muffin man, what a horrible thing to go through, the price rises don't help at the moment do they; years ago my finances were so bad I was afraid to use my card at all in case it was refused ... again! :eek: its a horrible experience

Hippeechiq, positive vibes continuing for as long as you need them hug.gif
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Muffin man, don't feel too bad. I work on a checkout and you'd be amazed how often it happens!!!! There's no shame in it at all xxx

As for the Diet cola, myself and DH are completely hooked too, to the point of spending over £10 a week on the damned stuff (Although I do switch brands to buy whatever is on offer). To help us cut back I've bought a few bottles of Ald1 diet lemonade at 28p and bottles of the Don Simon fresh orange at 50p and we're having that at night instead. It's lovely and refreshing and sooooo much cheaper :-)

£4.30 spent for me today on eggs, sugar, milk, lemonade and porridge (the kids are going through mountains of it this week!) at Ald1. Got other bits and bobs at A**a but it didn't cost me anything as I took a list of stuff to get for MIL and she paid for the lot - whoop whoop!
    Feeding 2 adults and 5 piglets aged 7 months, 7, 8, 10 & 13. Thank heaven for Aldi!:rotfl:

January 2013 grocery challenge £169.44/£360
  • cutiepieabfcutiepieabf Forumite
    344 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    nipped in to mr Ts for some flour and walked out with some great whoopsies
    2boxes of 10 eggs for 40p each not even out of bb date till next tues
    7 cans of deoderant for 79p (for all 7 cans :D)
    satsumas for 49p

giggled as i walked past a lady on the self service who had at least 10 boxes of the eggs who was busy scanning her vouchers but hey im proud to be saving money i dont mind going thru a manned checkout.

so a grand spend of £3.46 and i was down to my last egg anyhows lol

lol. great stuff!! but did you get any flour?? lol. :rotfl:
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • muffin_man_7muffin_man_7 Forumite
    742 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    £4.50 on cr*p (sweets and fizzy drink. Plus magazine which I'm not including in my grocery spend). £32.03 spent on luxury items for daughters cookery which she intends to give away to her friends. I've told her she is to bring it home for her dad whose going to be made redundant in a couple of weeks.
    £107.95 spent at Asda online. Mainly food for the 1st week of the food plan on love food hate waste website.
    Frivolous grocery spends are Branded tissues, diet cola (can no longer afford the habit) and sparkling water. Will have to get used to tap water. How do you cut back?

Itoo love my coke allstarted as a craving with 3rd baby long time ago 12 litres a week i'm now down to 1lire on a good day 2 on a bad day i find having a bottle helps as you can have a little just when you need to whereas with a can you end up drinking all of it also have a bottle of water or juice and when you want a drink swap between them that way your body adjusts gradually also i've noticed i never feel hungry if i have alot of coke so cutting down has helped with that and best of all i have lost just over a stone lots more to go but its as good a reason as any

maybe work out how much you spend on a week half it then when you get used to less half it again that has worked for me hth
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • debtfreewannabe321debtfreewannabe321 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bought some yummy looking strawberries for £1.50 (2 punnets) from the market today...will update signature in a min

Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather :)
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% :j:heartsmil #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% :).
    Aim High!
    :heart2: Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future :heart2:
  • muffin_man_7muffin_man_7 Forumite
    742 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    rosieben wrote: »
    Hippeechiq and NickJW, more great recipes, thank you :beer: I've added them all to the index

All the recipes offered are the kind of things I wanted, I knew I'd get good help here, thanks everyone :T I also found a couple more I'd forgotten about in the index :o

Muffin man, what a horrible thing to go through, the price rises don't help at the moment do they; years ago my finances were so bad I was afraid to use my card at all in case it was refused ... again! :eek: its a horrible experience

Hippeechiq, positive vibes continuing for as long as you need them hug.gif

thanks rosie and congrats on your new grandson my grandson is 6months old now and youngest granddaughter is 9 months they grow so fast enjoy
    re the shop i think i will go back to cash only for a while and split it into two baskets need and stock that way if i don't have enough it will be easier to adjust i hope

Have ever had cheesy bean bake its quick and filling and you have an option to add meat if you want i don't as i'm a veggie but have added veggie sos or veggie chunks yum yum your making me hungry lol
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Just popped to Mr T's for 3 packs of frozen fruit for £5, fromage frais, meringue nests and grapes - £7.90 worse off!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • Booed up again. Next month - another new start! Already wishing April away!!!
  • edited 6 April 2011 at 3:46PM
    moonpixiewitchmoonpixiewitch Forumite
    274 posts
    edited 6 April 2011 at 3:46PM
    We have decided to switch to a vegan diet . Started by cutting out dairy (as I strongly suspect it causing some of my health issues) , having no problem not eating meat , hubby is struggling with not eating eggs - so he is continuing with eating some eggs for a bit . Hopefully this should save us some money and help us lose weight !
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
  • cutiepieabfcutiepieabf Forumite
    344 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    hey all,

boiled my first ham yesterday!! i usually roast it, but i thought i would try boiling it and it turned out lovely! quite easy to cut, and we had ham slices topped with fried pineapple with hm wedges and peas. i used the boiled water to make ham and and pea soup, but also added some brocolli and carrots out of the freezer. decanted into 4 helpings for lunches. Tonight is pasta with ham, peas and cheese sauce.
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)