We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Will I ever get my DFW mojo back?
Molanole
Posts: 1,563 Forumite
Morning all.
Since pulling my diary a few months ago (I was getting worried that my boss would find it now that I've pointed him towards this site) I seem to have lost all motivation. I was ok for a while and kept things up but particuarly in the last month or so I've really started to slip back into my old ways. I foresee big expenditures coming up (e.g. Christmas) and think "ah, what the hell, another £30 quid won't hurt".
It's been horrendously busy at work and so I have had no time to pop on here at lunch, or first thing, or during that late afternoon slump to keep me motivated. And when I'm at work from 8am-9pm each day just to get stuff done it means I have no time for anything else - gosh I'm whinging, sorry! When I do get a bit of free time I end up splurging as I feel I deserve it! Meal planning is out of the window, as if I don't do it no one else will, as is making my own lunch (connected to the fact that I haven't had time to meal plan of course)
In short, I have ended up about £300 more in debt now that I should have been if I hadn't slipped and I'm cross with myself. :mad:
I'm determined that I won't completely slip back into my old ways though and I'm trying to get back on it again. I'm keeping tabs on the Christmas spending and cashing in whereever I can on my boots points, pigsback vouchers, surveys and such like. I've switched energy suppliers for a better deal (even though OH pays for the bills - I pay the rent) and today's task is to tackle the broadband switch now that I'm out of contract. It's also less than a week until pay day and I'm still in credit (just) in my current account. Something that was unheard of six months ago.
So, I need to find time to fully reintegrate myself here again as it really does keep me on the straight and narrow with all your support and occasional kicks up the backside. I've set myself an extremely high target for 2007 - £16K to be paid off my debts which is an additional £5.5K on top of my normal payments. Can I do it? I need to do it.
So, 2007 will be the year I regain my DFW mojo :cool:. If you've got this far through my long ramblings and you're still awake, thank you for reading!
Right... off to work
Since pulling my diary a few months ago (I was getting worried that my boss would find it now that I've pointed him towards this site) I seem to have lost all motivation. I was ok for a while and kept things up but particuarly in the last month or so I've really started to slip back into my old ways. I foresee big expenditures coming up (e.g. Christmas) and think "ah, what the hell, another £30 quid won't hurt".
It's been horrendously busy at work and so I have had no time to pop on here at lunch, or first thing, or during that late afternoon slump to keep me motivated. And when I'm at work from 8am-9pm each day just to get stuff done it means I have no time for anything else - gosh I'm whinging, sorry! When I do get a bit of free time I end up splurging as I feel I deserve it! Meal planning is out of the window, as if I don't do it no one else will, as is making my own lunch (connected to the fact that I haven't had time to meal plan of course)
In short, I have ended up about £300 more in debt now that I should have been if I hadn't slipped and I'm cross with myself. :mad:
I'm determined that I won't completely slip back into my old ways though and I'm trying to get back on it again. I'm keeping tabs on the Christmas spending and cashing in whereever I can on my boots points, pigsback vouchers, surveys and such like. I've switched energy suppliers for a better deal (even though OH pays for the bills - I pay the rent) and today's task is to tackle the broadband switch now that I'm out of contract. It's also less than a week until pay day and I'm still in credit (just) in my current account. Something that was unheard of six months ago.
So, I need to find time to fully reintegrate myself here again as it really does keep me on the straight and narrow with all your support and occasional kicks up the backside. I've set myself an extremely high target for 2007 - £16K to be paid off my debts which is an additional £5.5K on top of my normal payments. Can I do it? I need to do it.
So, 2007 will be the year I regain my DFW mojo :cool:. If you've got this far through my long ramblings and you're still awake, thank you for reading!
Right... off to work
Debt Free Nerd No. 89, LBM: April 2006, Debt at highest (Sept 05): £40,939.96
NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
0
Comments
-
Be strong Molanole its a bad time of year for MSE all those nights out...pressies etc. When I feel myself falling off the wagon I go back to the spending diary but it sounds like you don't have time for such things at the moment. You can do
it you know its worth it
you just need a bit of encouragement!!! Every Penny's a prisoner :T0 -
if someone knows how to walk uphill without slipping occasionally I'd like them to explain it to me lol
here's a big :grouphug: to welcome you back!I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I KnowSupermarket Rebel No 19:T0 -
I agree with the others, just look at this as a little blip and i'm sure next year you'll become much more determined.
Good luck.0 -
OK you had a bit of a setback but you aren't defeated. And it sounds as though you haven't actually slipped off the DFW wagon, just that your grip is a bit precarious at the moment. So this post and the other preceding and following it is to help pull you back into the centre of the wagon surrounded by the rest of us to stop you falling again.
Will you get a break from work over Christmas? It certainly sounds as though you need it.0 -
Hey Molanole
Good to see you again. I agree with the others, you've had a little hiccup, you know you did and now you know you have to get back fully on track!
You have already made a massive dent in your debt which you should be extremely proud of :T You are in it for the long hall which is a tremendous achievement, small hiccups are more than allowed! Nobody runs a marathon without slowing down a little bit every now and then
Is there anyway you can carry on with your diary but try not to identify your work too much so that you boss doesn't suspect?
Hang in there, keep reading and posting if possible and you'll be back in the swing of things before you know it.Leason learnt :beer:0 -
Be strong Molanole. I agree with the others- you've had a blip and a tiny slip and now you're getting back on track again. This time of year is so hard for us DFWs and I think we're all going to feel a bit frustrated at some point or another between now and January. If you do start up your diary again I promise I'll look out for it to give you lots of encouragement. £16K is a huge challenge but if anyone can do it you can!Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
currently: £13,353.25DFW Nerd 178Proud to be dealing with my debts0 -
Molanole everyone has said all that i thought so i will just give you a big one of these instead
0 -
The biggest present you can give yourself this Christmas is to tell others you are proud to be dealing with your debts. Explain this means you canot afford to give them a present and if they feel they no longer wish to give you the gift they have wrapped for you as you didnt bother with them this year you understand 100% AND you apreciate their goodwill gesture with the best gift they can give which is helping you to deal with your debts and giving you a head start to your repayments in 2007!!
If you really feel you cannot go without giving something, give them the website address to MSE in an envelope and tell them not to be opened till Christmas day!
If they insist on giving you resents then sell them in January at the car boot sale or on E-bay and use the profit to pay off a little more debt, or treat yourself to an anual bus pass and sell the car!
0 -
Keep posting! i find that is the way to keep on track - i know the more you try and save the more money you seem to spend... it isnt it is just you notice what goes in out of your account.
Paying of debts for a long term is really hard work - it is soul destroying at times (as post on here testify) but imagine the feeling when the debts are gone, one by one.
With presents - i have told people that were on the fringe of my list it will be cards only. Family with kids - we only buy for the kids and set a limit. Others if you feel you have to get them a present said i will be doing 'token presents' (bought lots of saving cans for 2.50p in bhs where you can save 600 quid and am putting a quid or two in each... presnt for 3.50/4.50 - one can per couple which is ALOT less than i have spend on one singulalry before). There are lots of gifts on the christams thing/grabbit that are really simple to make or complete bargains which can help. I found that once i was strict i could really cut down my list - many people i have said 'please can we not do presents due to finances - most say 'OH i am SOO glad you said that as were skint too' love the mse address in an envelope idea! turely a present that will save them ££££££'s
Christmas is not worth getting in debt for - anyone who wouldnt understand that 'are they a true friend??'.
Keep going - it will be worth it in the end.Debt free May 2016 (without the support of MSE forum users that would never have been possible - thank you all)0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
