British Airways-Discount-NOT

Options
13»

Comments

• ldonald101
    ldonald101 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    ldonald101 wrote: »
    Further to this, I have contacted forces travel. They advertise in the military discount brouchure and are imfamous for being more expensive. Guess what? They are actually more expensive!! How many genuine discounts are out there for military only? It would appear we are lumped in with students (who often get better discounts) and other non military organisations. There are many organisations (like BA) who will not entertain UK military discounts (they entertain student discounts and US military). I have written to Willie Walsh CE of BA, it will be interesting to see his reply if any. I will post here if he does reply. (With his permission)
    Interested to know of any genuine military only discounts out there. I will make sure my guys/girls (in Afghan) are aware. Thanks to everyone for their genuine support, and I look forward to reading with interest.
    Still no answer from BA..DESPITE A PROMPT. Perhaps they are too ashamed to engage.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ldonald101 wrote: »
    Still no answer from BA..DESPITE A PROMPT. Perhaps they are too ashamed to engage.

Whilst it would be nice if they did, why do you think BA (as a private company) should give us a discount?
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Whilst it would be nice if they did, why do you think BA (as a private company) should give us a discount?

Why give a discount to a foreign Armed Forces, but not their own countries?
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 533 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm currently taking advantage of the military discounts available in the USA. Whilst some deals state that you must be serving in the US Armed Forces, most will still extend the offer to members of HM Forces.

In comparison, I'm shocked at how few discounts I'd found in the 15 years prior to my overseas posting. And that includes those companies that say they offer discounts, but whose actual prices are double or triple what's freely available to everyone.

A few years ago now, I decided I really should go and have a look at Windsor Castle. I thought, surely you'd get a military discount there, but alas, even the Queen said 'No'! Thanks to the lady on the till though, she was equally shocked that there was no military discount and let me in at the student rate.

And that's all before some unseen stranger pays for your meal, if you happen to pop out for food whilst wearing uniform!
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    Why give a discount to a foreign Armed Forces, but not their own countries?

Do you have a link as goggle can't find it. It does return this thread very high up in the pecking order though.
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Do you have a link as goggle can't find it. It does return this thread very high up in the pecking order though.

I was only basing my comment on the OP's.
  • oscardog
    oscardog Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to book Virgin flights with the Forces discount and they worked out at more expensive.

The reason - they discount the full fare rate which of course no-one ever buys. This is the rate that offers full flexibility on a ticket so you can change flights etc at no cost. Of course everyone buys the cheap, non-transferable ticket but you cannot get this one discounted!!

I banged my head against the wall with their call centre but they would not budge. They stated that it is a good deal because as the military we might have to change our flights at short notice.

Knobbers.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    oscardog wrote: »
    I tried to book Virgin flights with the Forces discount and they worked out at more expensive.

The reason - they discount the full fare rate which of course no-one ever buys. This is the rate that offers full flexibility on a ticket so you can change flights etc at no cost. Of course everyone buys the cheap, non-transferable ticket but you cannot get this one discounted!!

I banged my head against the wall with their call centre but they would not budge. They stated that it is a good deal because as the military we might have to change our flights at short notice.

Knobbers.

That is the reason for the military fares though, in the same way that compassionate fares have flexibility. If you don't need the discount for operational reasons, I don't see why you would feel entitled?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BA do do a forces discount (reduced rate), however its through Hogg Robinson (all that EBIS crap), apparently its realised savings of £4 million since the launch (this months Soldier), so because they have a corporate contract they probably feel no need to offer it to individual soldiers :/
  • ldonald101
    Options
    UPDATE-Automated resp to my email to BA stating that it had been forwarded to the appropriate department, this was well over a week ago...no formal response as yet...Will they ever write back? answers on a postcard etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure