British Airways-Discount-NOT

Options
ldonald101
ldonald101 Posts: 43 Forumite
edited 24 March 2011 at 3:50PM in UK armed forces MoneySaving
Why doesn't our national flag carrier offer discounts to UK military personel? They have student fares and offer discounts to US Military personel...Unbelievable. I have written to them and they confirm that there are no offers...Thanks BA....I think I will go with Virgin.:mad:

Comments

• Ankh
    Ankh Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to be carefull with the virgin discount. I called to use it and the lady told me it was more expensive than the current web price :eek:. There wasnt a sale or offer on the web either. Hows that work???
  • or8it
    or8it Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    10 years ago they used to give great discount and used to have their own MOD desk with separate booking. I used them a few times back then. It is a shame how things have changed.
  • ldonald101
    Options
    Further to this, I have contacted forces travel. They advertise in the military discount brouchure and are imfamous for being more expensive. Guess what? They are actually more expensive!! How many genuine discounts are out there for military only? It would appear we are lumped in with students (who often get better discounts) and other non military organisations. There are many organisations (like BA) who will not entertain UK military discounts (they entertain student discounts and US military). I have written to Willie Walsh CE of BA, it will be interesting to see his reply if any. I will post here if he does reply. (With his permission)
    Interested to know of any genuine military only discounts out there. I will make sure my guys/girls (in Afghan) are aware. Thanks to everyone for their genuine support, and I look forward to reading with interest.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What other retailers give an MOD discount?

• ldonald101
    Options
    This is the big question..Whilst a few pretend that we are valued they offer us the same (few), less (a lot) or none at all (the rest). Compare this with other walks of life who are afforded unique discounts. Another example is: We pay for our rail cards in the same way as everyone else (used to be free). I have checked when booking that it is often the same or indeed cheaper with a student, disabled, elderly or family rail card therefore, the unique military discount they promote based on our military rail card is a bit of a con really.
    It will be interesting to see if there are any UNIQUE military discounts out there.
  • or8it
    or8it Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options

Cotswold Outdoor give 10% discount on id card. Best one though is Ship & Castle in Pompey, 40% off when id card produced!
  • ldonald101
    Options
    or8it wrote: »
    Cotswold Outdoor give 10% discount on id card. Best one though is Ship & Castle in Pompey, 40% off when id card produced!
    Checked out, both available to students. Cotswold in fact will offer them 15%. Not unique but thanks for the info.
  • ldonald101
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Andy, Thank you. The content of this is what I am on about. Whilst some advertise "QUOTE mod" it gives you no more than any other organisation, sometimes less.
  • intranicity
    intranicity Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean about forces discounts being more expensive than if you just brought it as a civilian, seems most of them are no cheaper.

This is an interesting scheme though, genuine too, not always a discount, but a minimum of being appreciative of the Military.

http://www.heroeswelcome.co.uk/

The best offer I have though is only for War Pensioners/AFCS in receipt of a monthly war pension/GIP, you can get a free Oyster card for london Transport, great if you go to London

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14424.aspx
    Opinions are like bottoms - We all have one, just some stink more than others

Service Attributable Pension - War Pension - War Pensioners Unemployability Supplement - War Pensioners Invalidity Allowance - War Pensioners Comforts Allowance - War Pensioners Mobility Allowance - War Pensioners Child Allowance - Housing Benefit - Council Tax Benefit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure