Young Drivers' Car Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    koru wrote: »
    Just got what seems like a very good quote from Admiral. Cover for £430 in the name of my 20 yr old son, who has had a full licence for 2 years, with three additional drivers: me, my wife and my 17 yr old daughter, who is still learning. This is on a 4 yr old Mazda 2, owned and registered by my wife. No points or claims.

That's an extra £240 compared to cover for just me and my wife.

Interestingly, if I run the same quote excluding my daughter, the premium increases by £20! So, adding a learner driver reduces the premium by £20.
    My daughter just passed, so I had to sort out new cover. Admiral are still by far the cheapest (or Diamond or Bell, which are owned by the same company).

£604 (reduced to £580 with multicar discount as our other car is with them), even though she is still 17 and only just passed. Also covers my 21 yr old son (3 years qualified) as well as me and wife. No black box.

A couple of things worth noting:

The car was already covered by Admiral, so I initially asked for a quote to amend the policy to add my daughter. However, taking into account that this was for the remaining 7 months of the policy, the extra premium was £200 more expensive than if I was taking out the policy as a new customer. They could not match this directly, but they did agree to let me take out a new policy at the favourable price and not charge for cancelling the old policy.

Even though Admiral already cover the car, it was still cheaper to delay adding my daughter to the policy for a couple of weeks. £60 extra if we wanted cover to start the same day. So, we will use Veygo if she needs to drive in the next two weeks.
    koru
  • RaspberryFool
    Options
    Based upon discussions, we opted to go with Direct Line after our daughter passed her test and agreed to fit a Telematics device ('black box'). Looking at the reports it produces, it obviously has NO idea about risk. A number of times it has come up with a very low score, simply for reversing the car out of the drive and parking it opposite - in a street that has about 6 car movements a day! On another quiet road, it gives a low score for excessive braking. Given that the road is on a steep hill, is it any wonder? It frequently gives a much lower score for driving around the corner through three quiet roads than it does when driving into the nearest city - with all its traffic. Crazy!
    RF
    RaspberryFool
    Men are from Mars, Women are from ... Cadburys!
  • Debw
    Options
    Hi, any advice on cheapest car insurance for my 17year old son, who is still on a provisional license, which I have been in touch with someone in regards to this particular insurance but I am wanting a quote for a car looking at the cost once he passes his test, the problem that bumps the price up is he is a professional sportsman, the only quote I got on go compare yesterday was £9000+. Thanks
  • MiloDB
    Options
    I am looking at getting insurance for my daughter who has a provisional licence. Assuming that she passes her test before the insurance expires is it best to look at 2 separate policies rather than converting her insurance policy with a provisional licence to one that will insure her reasonably when she has a full licence

Any advice gratefully received
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MiloDB wrote: »
    I am looking at getting insurance for my daughter who has a provisional licence. Assuming that she passes her test before the insurance expires is it best to look at 2 separate policies rather than converting her insurance policy with a provisional licence to one that will insure her reasonably when she has a full licence

All depends on the cost, has she asked the current insurer how much it could be once she passes ?
    Do a dummy quote for a completely new quote, use a comparison site.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MiloDB wrote: »

In my experience, the company that is the best price for learner cover offers a poor price once they have qualified. So, probably cheaper to switch, even though you incur a penalty for terminating the first policy early.

You might find it cheaper to buy separate cover for the youngster. When they are learning, https://www.coveredondemand.com/learner/ is pretty cheap. Once they have passed, Veygo is probably cheaper than adding them to your policy, as long as they only drive once a week or so.
    koru
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is what I did for my son.

After spending time doing quote and twerking them and then following the aviva link my sons insurance for a provisional licence started at £3500 with a £350 excess on the compassion sites and on Aviva it was £2700 just for him to drive.
    Then doing re-quotes over the following months due to having to repair the car following someone vandelising it the price slowly dropped with Aviva.
    Someone said that the price will go up when he passes his test so i did a re quote yesterday with him and my friend on the insurance and the price dropped to £1744 so i then re quoted but with him as a provisional licence and the price stayed at £1744 with the excess at £350 including the young drivers £200 excess so today we took out insurance today with a friend as a second driver fully comp 2010 Hyundai Santa FE 2.2 engine.
    Yes it is a big car for a young driver but i cannot drive anymore due to an injury and he wanted to use the car instead of buying a car due to him rebuilding the Santa FE plus we have had it since new.
    This is my 23 year old son with a provisional licence.
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • MiloDB
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback - it's a minefield out there!
  • vpdoff
    Options
    Hi I'm desperate for advice. My 17 year old has just passed his test and is getting crazy quotes for car insurance. He had a moped accident a few months ago and even admiral who say that won't affect the quote gave a price of £1200. Can anyone recommend an insurer for a 17 year old with a claim for a moped accident please.
  • vpdoff
    Options
    I mean 12000 lol 1200 would be great. Lowest we had was £8000 on a £2000 Car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure