We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How do i mow my lawn..

Options
Hi all
This one is directed at the gardeners- I have a small lawn about 4 foot deep by 8 wide. I want to know how best to mow it..a lawn mower would inevitably be cumbersome and awkward in such a small place; unless they do a small one?!
I am also trying to keep the cost down, so was wondering would i get anywhere fast with a strimmer- to do the whole thing?? Or is that a ridiculous idea?

cheers all

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vindiesel wrote:
    .... I have a small lawn about 4 foot deep.....
    Machete if it's that deep :rotfl:
    Oh that's not what you meant, sorry. Right, I think it's either by hand with shears or you have to get a strimmer or lawn mower of some sort.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    stick a few paving slabs over it! :p

other than that a strimmer is probably your best bet, or one of those cheap flymo type lawnmowers. do you really mean 4foot by 8 foot, thats tiny isn't it? :confused:
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a strimmer on mine. Not as small as yours, but not really big enough for a mower :)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Vindiesel
    Options
    hmm..yes it really is a baby one! mianture almost..could almost be described as a Bonsai Lawn!! Thanks for input guys, especially the flymo page....still not sure if i can get away with the mower or if i need a strimmer.. could do with borrowing a strimmer to see how much effort it is really!

thanks again

V
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    I use a strimmer on mine, too small to bring out the mower!! xx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Vindiesel
    Options
    Machete if it's that deep :rotfl:
    Oh that's not what you meant, sorry. Right, I think it's either by hand with shears or you have to get a strimmer or lawn mower of some sort.

lmao

very good mate!:rotfl:
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Vindiesel

I'll move your thread to the 'Greenfingered' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Chester_Draws
    Options
    If its only 8'x4', have you considered buying a rabbit ?
    Bad Spellers of the world untie
  • Maximillion
    Options
    artificial grass.

no I'm not joking

in fact if it is that small just keep sending off for the free samples and you'd soon have enough to cover it.

seriously :o
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strimmer will do it. I used to do the roadside verges around my last place, in about a half hour with one. And that was a lot more blades of grass, slugs , cow and dog poo - than you're fortunate enough to have to do;)

Even a smallish electric one will only take you 5 mins. Or a quartet of garden gnomes on it ... and there'll be no grass to cut.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure