Best way to get hot water pressure?

Options
We currently live in a 3 bedroom house that has a conventional boiler with a cylinder that is quite old but is still working.

Now the hot water from all taps is relatively slow but the cold water has alot of pressure but we mainly want hot water pressure from the bath tap so we can fit a mixer shower head to the taps.

We want to basically fit either a shower head mixer onto the bath taps and use it like a shower or get a new combi boiler fitted or get an electric shower.

Other than getting the new boiler, what would be the best option? im leaning towards getting an electric shower but is getting the pressure increased an ideal option?

And also if we do decide to go towards the combi boiler route, will this guarantee hot water pressure?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If it is an older house it probably has a cold water tank in the loft. The higher that tank, the greater the HW pressure.

It is fairly simple(for a plumber) to fit an electrical pump to boost hot water flow - these pumps are typically used for power showers and turn on only when there is HW demand.

A combi will give the pressure, but combis have difficulty, particularly in winter, in providing sufficient hot water.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check out the Gledhill thermal stores. The mains pressure cold water passes through the hot water cylinder in a coil, to become hot water. You now have balanced hot and cold at mains pressure. Ideally, 22mm pipe into and out of the cylinder.
  • pallato_2
    Options
    Well the price would be a factor in this situation.

Im pretty sure by fitting a pump or having any other method to increase hot water pressure would cost the same or if not slightly more than just getting a decent electric shower fitted.

On the plus side the water would not have to be heated and the temperature of the water would not change whilst using the shower.
  • pallato_2
    Options
    And oh yea i have read about combis and some people complain about the lack of hot water pressure, seems like a bit of a risk to me anyway.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You may have mains only cold water which will overpower the hot. We managed to get an electric pump attached to our system with a separate cold water feed from the attic just to the shower pump.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Cardew
    Options
    pallato wrote: »
    Well the price would be a factor in this situation.

Im pretty sure by fitting a pump or having any other method to increase hot water pressure would cost the same or if not slightly more than just getting a decent electric shower fitted.

On the plus side the water would not have to be heated and the temperature of the water would not change whilst using the shower.

Well if you are sure of the costs - go ahead! Could you let us know what estimates you got to come to that conclusion.

It is not just a question of buying an electric shower. You have to get it wired up, if you want decent HW flow you will need to modify your Consumer Unit(fuse box) and fit a RCB capable of handling the power and up-rated cable to the bathroom. Isolation switch etc. An electrician and plumber would be mandatory.

Not sure if modern regulations allow an electric shower over a bath; even if they do it is not ideal. If not over bath, shower cabinet, tray, and tiles are not cheap.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Before making any decisions you really need to measure your cold mains flow rate and find the cold mains pressure.

Without this information you could waste a lot of money.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    There seems to be some confusion over hot water and cold water circuits. They are seperate in MOST cases, so one doesn't affect the other.

cardew tells you that the header tank height for the hot water top-up determines the hot water pressure.

You can't / shouldn't increase the cold water pressure into the tank with a pump, it could blow the tank. A pump is usually fitted in the hot water line FROM the tank and turns off automatically when water pressure rises. (The tap is turned off) The pressure on pump failure is then on the tap.

cardew. You can't fit an electric shower over a bath? A shower tray is just a very shallow bath.... what's the difference?
    Is this more weird thinking from the nutters in Health and Safety?
    (No, I don't want to hear about what good they DO, DO. Some things they do legislate on are are just unworkable.)
  • Cardew
    Options
    birkee wrote: »
    There seems to be some confusion over hot water and cold water circuits. They are seperate in MOST cases, so one doesn't affect the other.

cardew tells you that the header tank height for the hot water top-up determines the hot water pressure.

You can't / shouldn't increase the cold water pressure into the tank with a pump, it could blow the tank. A pump is usually fitted in the hot water line FROM the tank and turns off automatically when water pressure rises. (The tap is turned off) The pressure on pump failure is then on the tap.

cardew. You can't fit an electric shower over a bath? A shower tray is just a very shallow bath.... what's the difference?
    Is this more weird thinking from the nutters in Health and Safety?
    (No, I don't want to hear about what good they DO, DO. Some things they do legislate on are are just unworkable.)

We really are at cross purposes here!

It was a question about not having an electric shower over a bath not a statement - I am sure I read it somewhere(for new installations)

The height of the cold water tank does determine the flow rate from the Hot Water tank.

I wasn't suggesting a pump to the cold water supply( why did you think I was?) The OP has a problem with hot water pressure and this is what I stated:
    It is fairly simple(for a plumber) to fit an electrical pump to boost hot water flow - these pumps are typically used for power showers and turn on only when there is HW demand.

I have exactly such a pump.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    Yae, I think we are at cross purposes.

Quote Cardew:We really are at cross purposes here!

It was a question about not having an electric shower over a bath not a statement - I am sure I read it somewhere(for new installations)

I did respond to this with a question whether this could be true. Seems unbelievable.

Quote Cardew: The height of the cold water tank does determine the flow rate from the Hot Water tank.

There is no cold water tank, there is a 'header tank' filled with cold water to supply the hot water tank. Pedantic maybe.

Quote Cardew: I wasn't suggesting a pump to the cold water supply( why did you think I was?) The OP has a problem with hot water pressure and this is what I stated:

I didn't think you were. It was for clarification of people who might think a pump could go in anywhere. i.e. Feed TO the hot water tank to increase the pressure from the header tank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure