We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

This Brought A Nostalgic Tear To My Eye :)

124

Comments

  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    My first PC was an Amiga 500 that my dad bought secondhand for me when I was 11. :D
    2019 Wins
    1/25

    £2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • Ximian
    Ximian Posts: 711 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    How about this for nostalgia? Any tears yet?

    71pikz.jpg
  • I've got a scar on my inner forearm from a ZX80 heat sink...
    I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.
    But, if the white runs out, I'll drink the red.

  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Can't actually remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I had the Spectrum with the rubber keys.
    God I feel old now.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

    Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    First computer i got to use was a Research Machines 350z.

    First computer i owned was a Commodore Vic 20, then a Commodore 64, then a Commodore 128D, then an Amiga 500, then an Amiga 1200.

    Went to PC's after that, and gaming consoles.
  • swvillafan
    swvillafan Posts: 436 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    rmg1 wrote: »
    Can't actually remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I had the Spectrum with the rubber keys.
    God I feel old now.

    It was the 48K. I still have one in the loft with a multiface and competition pro joystick (used for Daley Thompsons Decathlon!).

    Also had a speccy +3, had hundreds of games for it, those were the days! :)
    Useful is beautiful
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    rmg1 wrote: »
    Can't actually remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I had the Spectrum with the rubber keys.

    I think it was called the Spectrum.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    swvillafan wrote: »
    It was the 48K. I still have one in the loft with a multiface and competition pro joystick (used for Daley Thompsons Decathlon!).

    Also had a speccy +3, had hundreds of games for it, those were the days! :)

    You had a multiface, that's a bit posh!

    And there was nothing wrong with that game, except I broke several joysticks paying it to death.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

    Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    The Spectrum with the rubber keys was the 48k, my (dad's) first computer. Remember poking games? Teaching your child to cheat at such a young age (on games that were probably pirated) is such a valuable lesson!
    Strangely I remember that we 'upgraded' from that to a 48k with plastic keys in a big black case. Then it was onto the Atari ST (a couple of them), before we got stuck into a 486 DX2 66mhz PC with 4mb RAM and a 250mb hard drive. No sound card, no CD-ROM, we later added these 2. All you BBC, Amstrad, C64, Amiga lovers can go die of course!
  • marksmith99
    marksmith99 Posts: 149 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2011 at 4:12PM
    Didn't the rubber keyed Spectrum come as 16k (for £125 as I remember) or 48k (£175).

    I had the 16k with a ram pack bought later to take it up to 48k, Used to get all the same ram pack wobble issues as the ZX81.

    I seem to remember spending a lot of my time in an obsessive quest to copy more and more games - C90's full of them - with much less time actually playing most of them.

    Edit: Wikipedia tells me those were indeed the models and prices at launch in 1982 (feeling even older now).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.