We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

This Brought A Nostalgic Tear To My Eye :)

245

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,518 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Still got one !! Gets an outing once a year to the school.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Those magazine programs ALWAYS needed some re-writing! But, hey, it was real fun sorting them so that they would work. I always thought they put errors in on purpose. Was I wrong?
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    So should I have taken the Amstrad to the tip last year or hung onto it? And what about the Amiga? How quickly we forget!
  • patanne wrote: »
    Those magazine programs ALWAYS needed some re-writing! But, hey, it was real fun sorting them so that they would work. I always thought they put errors in on purpose. Was I wrong?

    No you're quite right . ahh my first attempts at programming ... goto 1030 ... what the ??? .... erm, oh I get it:j
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    We never got a computer but we felt spoilt when we had Pong in COLOUR!!! And it had football and squash variants as well as tennis. Ohh the memories, someone pass me the Parma Violets :)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,518 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Learnt a bit of BASIC on one of this type of machine http://www.hpmuseum.net/images/9820A-35.jpg, I feel old now :o

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • ellay864 wrote: »
    We never got a computer but we felt spoilt when we had Pong in COLOUR!!! And it had football and squash variants as well as tennis. Ohh the memories, someone pass me the Parma Violets :)

    - still available all over - or bulk purchase
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Yeah, ZX81:cool: .. spend hours typing a prog in from a magazine ... then the ram pack falls out aggghhh
    Finished up with a yard of insulating tape wrapped round the whole thing ... the ram pack stayed put but the prog was c**p:(

    I was lucky - the next door neighbour worked for British Aerospace as an electronics engineer so he built me one that was far better.

    Only thing that this article did though was depress me by reminding me how long I've been doing flamin computers. Mind you, it was way more fun in the early pioneering days of home computing..
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yeah, ZX81:cool: .. spend hours typing a prog in from a magazine ... then the ram pack falls out aggghhh
    Finished up with a yard of insulating tape wrapped round the whole thing ... the ram pack stayed put but the prog was c**p:(
    I always thought that was a misconception, it wasn't the rampack which was the problem that many people blamed it on, it was the 3.5mm jack plug power lead that broke the connection as the metal spring connector became weakened over time, about the time when people purchased their rampacks. I never had a problem with the rampack I had which was in a fairly large case so should of been more of a problem. The jack plug frequently caused the ZX81 to restart when the keyboard was pressed too hard or the ZX81 was moved causing the power lead to move and the connection to be broken.

    I cut my 3.5mm jack off and soldered it to the circuit board which stopped all problems with it restarting.:T
    patanne wrote: »
    Those magazine programs ALWAYS needed some re-writing! But, hey, it was real fun sorting them so that they would work. I always thought they put errors in on purpose. Was I wrong?
    It was to make sure people purchased the next issue of the magazine so they could get the corrections to make the Basic programs work!

    The machine code programs were the worst, all those numbers that needed to be entered correctly and the ideas that had to be created to get it done such as rulers etc to mark the lines.
    patanne wrote: »
    So should I have taken the Amstrad to the tip last year or hung onto it? And what about the Amiga? How quickly we forget!
    I still have my Amiga 500 :D and it's guru meditations now that was a computer! I also have an Enterprise 128....built with obsolescence built out, but built by a financially unstable company so they went bust!:rotfl:
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Only thing that this article did though was depress me by reminding me how long I've been doing flamin computers. Mind you, it was way more fun in the early pioneering days of home computing..
    Certainly does for me too.

    It was a lot more fun with how they were and getting the best out of them. I remember making an assembly language program to record audio through the MIC input and then playing it back on my Speccy....."Excellent" 1 bit sound "loud"speaker on and off which was all the 48KB Spectrum could handle. Demonstrating it to my neighbour and the look of not too impressed on his face because he was a bit of an audio buff.......the Memories........
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    For those that want to relive it, there are a few emulators out there:

    http://www.zx81.nl/
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.