We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

This Brought A Nostalgic Tear To My Eye :)

GunJack
GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12703674


ahhh, the memories......

I daresay for many of us on this board, here's where it all began :)
......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
«1345

Comments

  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Never had/seen one. My first PC was an Amstrad 1512 with 20MB HD and colour monitor, worth £1000, in 1987. I didn't "buy" it, the company I was working for closed down and there were no wages that month and the boss said "take something".
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2011 at 11:18PM
    Now show me a commodore pet circa 1977 @ approx £600 - that would bring a tear to my eye - I could even write programs for it or as it was then programmes for it! But, how sad is this, I also remember the Honeywell computer in the Dover Street building of M/c University that used punch cards and took up a whole floor & needed air conditioning. We can all play do you remember - but give me my PC any day. I just miss Cranston Manor off my exs co PC (21 years ago) and you had to type in instructions like push & pull & lift. Oh the memories.
  • Never had one myself, but I do remember it.

    My first foray was a Spectrum 48K that I got for Christmas. That and a couple of C60 tapes with a bunch of copied games, which only around half actually worked.
    Dave. :wave:
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    patanne wrote: »
    Now show me a commodore pet circa 1977 @ approx £600 - that would bring a tear to my eye - I could even write programs for it or as it was then programmes for it!

    we weren't rich enough for a Pet, appleII, or the other "posh" one that was around at the time (name escapes me now), so for me and many others, this was cutting edge :D
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • patanne wrote: »
    Now show me a commodore pet circa 1977 @ approx £600 - that would bring a tear to my eye - I could even write programs for it or as it was then programmes for it!

    OK - October 1997 - see the date centre top.

    ohmez7.jpg
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    First computer I got to play with was a Burroughs 3500. Beat that :rotfl:
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    yeah, but a ZX81 was sexy ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Yeah, ZX81:cool: .. spend hours typing a prog in from a magazine ... then the ram pack falls out aggghhh
    Finished up with a yard of insulating tape wrapped round the whole thing ... the ram pack stayed put but the prog was c**p:(
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    I had a commodore pet instead of a stair carpet (always was non-conformist) the next one was a spectrum. But they were a lot cheaper (God bless Sinclair). Plus the then OH got a big promotion via the commodore (long story) so cost wasn't so much an issue. Who started me on the memory trail
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    patanne wrote: »
    Who started me on the memory trail


    ...errr....sorry ;):):D
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.