not looking disabled?!

Options
OOOhhh, im really upset, :(
I was again challenged by some passers by after i parked in a disabled bay, clearly displaying my badge, but because im young (ish) mid 30s, and have a young baby, (i assume this is the reason people scowl and pass comment) people seam to get upset.

so, i intend to put a little note to display next to my badge, just need help with wording.
anyone else do this to hopefully stop a public arguement?
3 wonderfull kids :female::female::male:, 1 fab hubby :heart: , 2 beautifull cats and 1 very large dog = my family!
:grouphug:

Comments

• joey75
    joey75 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it hun my hubby is 32 and has a BB due to his spine collapsing and damaging his spinal cord at present he can just about walk but it wont be long before he is wheelchair bound people are just need to mind their own bussiness you dont have to explain nothing
  • MrLeeLee
    MrLeeLee Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    If you can type on this forum surely you don't have a problem typing a little note about why you have a blue badge

How very helpful!

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it personally. I know it must be quite upsetting, but just think how !!!!! their lives must be if that's all they have to worry about!

Just politely tell them to f*** off and mind their own business!
  • ColinFishwick
    ColinFishwick Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    Some people are idiots/naive into thinking that only older people have disabilities

Of course you can have a disability at any age
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Just ignore them. Sour grapes, because they can't get a spot.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's nobodys business why someone has a valid blue badge and parks in a disabled bay, other than the issuer and the holder, so there's no reason for an explanatory note on the dashboard.
    If anyone says anything - ignore 'em. People hate being ignored and rapidly discover they can't have a discussion with someone who doesn't respond to them.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2011 at 2:14PM
    Options
    MrLeeLee wrote: »

Totally agree!! :rotfl::rotfl:

But seriously I had the same issue until my legs got so bad that it is now visible :( Don't let them get to you, and don't feel the need to explain / leave a note it's really is none of their business and if you do feel like responding maybe try to think of something sarcastic along the lines of so your a doctor / psychic then??? ;)

Or just smile sarcastically at their ignorance and ask What do you know?
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • Adaline
    Adaline Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    OP - I'm sorry you've experienced this, it is upsetting, I know, I've had the same thing. Because I try to stay positive and not give into the pain, I smile at people when I see them. Somehow this, on top of being younger, seems to say that I can't be 'properly' disabled. If you're disabled, perhaps you're meant to have a facial expression of suffering all the time, rather than trying to hide it. I got very cross with one elderly man who insisted I wasn't disabled, until I turned to him and said that he had no idea idea how much pain I'm in - that did shut him up. I'm afraid I also blame our current 'government' who are targeting disabled people as cheating the system, when we know it's only a small percentage who are claiming fraudulently, but this message is getting across to the public who seem to think they can be secret policemen in these things.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrLeeLee wrote: »
    How very helpful!

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it personally. I know it must be quite upsetting, but just think how !!!!! their lives must be if that's all they have to worry about!

I'd love to know how that can be done politely, do you just add a smile & a please to the end. :rotfl:

OP, if you feel you need to justify yourself, I would say "I would gladly swap the BB for good health".
  • formaldehyde_perfume
    Options
    I agree that you should try and shrug it off, I know it's hard but it's not worth getting stressed over.

If you want to put something on your dashboard I would say something like ' just because I'm young and have a baby doesn't mean I'm fit and pain free. My disability is hidden, so please stop judging me'
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Why justify their ignorance with any sort of response? Just get on with your life an ignore these sad f**ks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure