Unclaimed prize register

Options

Comments

• catz747
    catz747 Posts: 20,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aaaah I see, so you're all googling in & signing up to add to this thread, well shame on you for not already being registered with MSE :naughty:

:p
  • Inthegarden_2
    Options
    I can't believe that I fell for this.. Did a wordsearch competition in The Sun and sent off my details. Was told to ring a number to claim my prize. Seeing it was going to cost me £6.50 decided to ignore it. I then receive a letter from the Unclaimed Prizes Dept at Ross on Wye asking me to ring a number as I have a GUARANTEED PRIZE. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I duly rang and after a £9.50 phone call, I am awarded a digital camera. Thinking that this wasn't too sad, I sent off my allocation code and a first class loose stamp. And waited.... Then I have just received a letter saying that I had not responded to their offer and I need to RING AGAIN to get my allocation code.. and another first class stamp. THE ALARM BELLS ARE NOW RINGING.. I have been had.. Beware of this .. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE GIFT. :mad:
  • Lodin
    Options
    Having already binned their first letter, today I received a second one saying it is my last chance, darn it guess I'll have to miss out on the great prizes.

I thought I would do a quick search though and found these comments so had to write that I to had the magic number 603498, I also visited their website and believe the first two winners look overjoyed at having won their prizes. Is it really true that such an obvious scam is still drawing people in and making the company profits in the age where consumer protection is so abundant.

My advice would be to create a bogus hotmail account just for writing to people like this, if everyone did it at the same time it would block their mail system.
  • happyfili
    happyfili Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Lodin wrote: »
    Having already binned their first letter, today I received a second one saying it is my last chance, darn it guess I'll have to miss out on the great prizes.

I thought I would do a quick search though and found these comments so had to write that I to had the magic number 603498

I could have written exactly the same thing...and guess what my code is too...correct! 603498 :rotfl:

The envelope is very misleading, it looks very official. Not sure whether to send it back or destroy it.
  • mumof_three
    Options
    hi i just wanted to save you all alot of hassle on this matter ... i did ring them and got my claim number allocated and guess what it was a digital camera no surprise there i then found thier company details and rang them to ask for the details of the camera to this they where not happy at all so i said it was my right to know the pseck of the camera befor i invested anymore money into recieving it to which they said when i send in the claim form i would get the details so i said no i want to know what i am going to get before i spend out another couple of pounds on postage he said he didnt have the details to hand so i told him to go get them as this was my right eventually and very unhappilly with this he came back to me with them the camera you will recieve is the tdc snap made by the camera company not worth more than about £10 and basically aload of junk so please all of you save the time and money and put the paper in the recycling bin !!!! it may have cost me £10 with the call and calling them but if it means you guys save the same if not more then it was truley worth it xxx
  • ad915
    ad915 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    raycboy wrote: »
    I have also received one of these letters with the allocation code of 603498, i am going to post off for my "prize" and i will let you all know what the outcome is. No doubt it will be the digi camera but it has got to be worth the price of a couple of stamps,cheers:)

I got the same code today too... what a load of !!!!!!!! they can't even make up code numbers....
  • sid77
    sid77 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - same code today.
  • tobor
    Options
    I am so surprised that this company is still being allowed to carry on with this scam. Although there are a list of prizes, cleverly between the cash prizes a digital camera is listed. This will be of the cheap and nasty type . If you make the call to the premium rate line it will cost you £9.00 to register the same claim number that everyone gets this being 603498 this is the claim code for the digital camera. You will then be asked for the postage to send it £6.00 also some insurance cost , and all this will greatly out value the cost of the camera. So you see they are not exactly breaking the law, as you will receive a prize. What bothers me is that no one from the office of fair trading has ever bothered to get off their butts and checked to see if any of the other cash prizes have been won ( I would guess not) and that would be breaking the law. To top it all if you apply by post in order to receive the information listed above the cheeky !!!!!!s ask you to send two first class stamps, should you then wise up and spot the scam they are theirs to keep ( they must have a post office) Just remember if you win a prize in any genuine competition there are no admin fees , and all cost are met by the organiser , The reason you and a lot of others have got this letter is that someone out there thinks we all have idiot tattooed across our forehead.
    Hope this helps
  • Mag1
    Mag1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 April 2010 at 11:49PM
    Options
    Hi, I've received a letter from M & D, dated 18th March 2010, regarding an unclaimed prize. I then received another reminder, dated 22nd April, reminding me that I hadn't responded to their earlier correspondence.

Does this mean that despite the High Court order above, nothing has changed with McIntyre and Dodd, and this scam of theirs? (Oh dear!...).

To-date (this evening to be precise - 23:45), - all correspondence from M & D promptly 'posted' to my shredder..... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Gedk
    Gedk Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hey folks,

Just a quick update for you. I have recieved a reply to my letter (on page 3 of this thread).

To summarise, it was a very rude response that rambled about how rare it was for them to receive such a critical letter. They also assured me that they have a high number of very satisfied customers and that I would be removed from their mailing list with immediate effect (this is evidently not the case as I've had another two maillings from them since then).

Who knows what will happen to them? Unfortunately I have a feeling they have been around in various guises for a very long time so have gotten adept at using sly techniques that fall narrowly within the letter of the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure