Planet49 Myquiz2win scam

Options
I went to pay my mobile phone bill today and discovered £14.95 of "interactive messaging" charges on my bill. Further investigation revealed that there were also pending charges for next month!

The culprit is Planet49 who it appears have been sending messages to my phone - only I haven't received these...........? So I couldn't text, STOP, as instructed by O2 today. Even when given the short code to text them, it did not work...? Finally, I had to phone them - they were unrepentant - and they have agreed to unsubscribe me from their "subscription service."

I do not enter quizzes or sign up for subscription services, so I am keen to know where they got my details. I have requested this information.

This appears to be theft of my data, not to mention blatant "ripping off".

Anyone else had a similar experience? :(

Comments

• choonkaloonks
    Options
    OMG! The exact same thing happened to me on 3 network- except I got charged £32 a month and when I called up to complain I got charged £8 in TWO MINUTES by the same company just before they cut me off from the service!!!
    This is such a scam and when I called the company (Planet 49) in Germany, they were useless and had no explanation as to how my number got signed up to them without my knowledge. I'm fed up! How many other people is this happening to?
    I'm sure that this is illegal!
  • deburca1947
    Options
    myquiz2win took £16.00 out of my phone account without my permission
  • tonybanjoman
    Options
    Me too. Mypc2 win or winmypc charged me 3 x £8 in one month and another £8 the next. They insist that I subscribed to their service which I did not and refuse to refund the money. Has anyone succesfully taken them to court?
  • iTetBiz
    Options
    Hi Martin

Yeap, I am a victim too. I was charged 4 times on 11/3/2012 at £2, total £8 and a further 3 times on 18/3/2011 at £2 each time total £6

I have lost a grand total of £14 - How can we get our money back and stop this company? :mad:

Thanks

T.

PS. Watch out for any Tweet with the link - don't click this link as you will automatically subscribe to their "services".

Also, watch out for similar messages via the email.
  • tizzytops
    Options
    im another victim with this scam £2 x 4 =£8 in one day up to yet ive sent a txt stop ive rang vodafone and they are saying i must have subscript to something ,for them to do this i havnt , i no i havnt vodafone told me to to send a email to info@MyQuiz2Win.co.uk telling them to cancel my subscription from my number so got to wait and see vodafone have gave me £10 back for this ,but it still not the point ,vodafone have said if they do take more money and ive sent a email telling them to cancel they are breaking the law even tho in my eyes they are anyway this is so not rite that people can do this x
  • Margery669799
    Options
    Me too - £22 taken off my bill last month and another £16 to come next month even though I have never registered for the quiz. The strange thing is that the company says that they send you text message questions to answer but I have not received any of these - yet still my mobile phone provider has added the charges to my bill and they tell me there is nothing they can do about it. What is even more worrying is that the official quiz2win website is displaying the logos of all the main mobile phone providers. I wonder if they are aware they are being linked to this and that it is a scam...Has anyone received any advice on what can be done to get our money back? I haven't seen anything on the forums.
  • rudeyjude
    Options
    I have just noticed that an additional £38.00 has been taken on my mobile phone direct debit, and upon investigation find that the charge is on my 13 year old's phone. £8.00 a week has been debited from his phone account since 20th April by 'myquiz2win Skills'! There is a further charge of £16.00 showing on the next bill as well. He received a text which said he would be charged £2.00 a day unless he text STOP to 60700, but he thought this was a scam so deleted it! Be warned all parents out there - this has cost me nearly £60.00, and as a result of my son doing as I had told him, which was never reply to any phone calls or texts that you don't think are legitimate! Its disgusting that these companies are allowed to debit money from your phone when the mobile phone companies must be aware that they are scamming people?!
  • ramraideruk_2
    Options
    I'm with Tesco (JV with O2). I've told them to not allow any premium messaging from my account and set my limit to 5 pounds above my line rental. That way I've less chance of being ripped off.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm with Tesco (JV with O2). I've told them to not allow any premium messaging from my account and set my limit to 5 pounds above my line rental. That way I've less chance of being ripped off.

This thread is from summer last year!!!:huh:
  • cingrosso
    Options
    Please check this ruling by their regulators, PhonePayPlus:

Code Compliance Panel
    Tribunal Decision
    Tribunal Sitting Number 130 / Case 4
    Case Reference: 28260
    Level 2 provider
    Optimus Mobile GmbH
    Type of service
    Competition - non-scratchcard
    Level 1 provider
    Dialogue Communications Limited
    Network operator
    All Mobile Network operators
    THIS CASE WAS BROUGHT AGAINST THE LEVEL 2 PROVIDER UNDER PARAGRAPH 4.5 OF THE CODE
    The EP Tribunal considered the seriousness and urgency of the case and reached an agreement on 22 June 2013 that the Emergency procedure should be used. The outcome was communicated to the Level 2 provider on 24 June 2013 and the Executive directed the Level 2 provider to suspend the Service immediately. The Level 1 provider was directed to withhold revenue on 24 June 2013. On 24 June 2013, both the Level 1 and 2 providers confirmed that the Service had been suspended.
    The Executive sent a breach letter to the Level 2 provider on 2 July 2013, an addendum to the breach letter was sent to the Level 2 provider on 9 July 2013. Within the breach letter (and the addendum to the breach letter) the Executive raised the following breaches of the Code:
    - Rule 2.3.1 – Fair and equitable treatment
    - Rule 2.3.2 – Misleading
    - Rule 2.5.5 – Avoidance of harm (fear, anxiety, distress or offence)
    Users were misled into entering the Service as a result of ransomware affiliate marketing that utilised malware to lock consumers’ internet browsers
    Sanctions Imposed
    The Tribunal noted that the circumstances of the case were unusual as it was the first time that ransomware had been detected to have been used services. It also noted that there were no complaints from consumers. Having regard to all the circumstances of the case, the Tribunal decided to impose the following sanctions:
    • a formal reprimand;
    • a warning that if the Level 2 provider fails to ensure that it has sufficient measures in place to prevent actual or potential consumer harm being caused by affiliate marketing in future it should expect to receive a significant penalty for any similar breach;
    • a fine of £25,000; and
    • a requirement that the Level 2 provider must refund all consumers who claim a refund, for the full amount spent by them on the Service, within 28 days of their claim, save where there is good cause to believe that such claims are not valid, and provide evidence to PhonepayPlus that such refunds have been made.

Despite the above (just a few of the points made by the tribunal) these guys are still at it.

I have been taken in by this scam without my knowledge, and despite the police recognizing it as identity theft, it seems that no one is interested in stopping these fraudsters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure