Disabled parents and school

Options

Comments

• jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    The irony with that statement is that not all kids on DLA get HRM, and not all parents would use it to buy a vehicle. Most kids do not get transport to school either.

They usually get paid transport when the local school has been unable to cope with their care needs and so they are sent elsewhere - this is when the council steps in with transport as it has been agreed by the LA. If I CHOOSE to sent my son to the local special school as he cannot cope in mainstream, I'll not get transport. If the local school cannot cope with him and say he has to go, then I will get transport. Most kids who go to schools for children with Autism do not get HRM either.

My son's care componant pays for, er, care. That is what it is for. He gets MRC despite him needing 1:1 care all of the time and that money goes on carers if we need to go somewhere and my husband cannot come with me. He cannot go out for the day with friends and family, there always has to be someone there for him.

The way I see it, the OP is getting HRM, that should be used for HER as she is now trapped in the house all day despite getting a benefit that means she can get out of the house.. If SHE needs to get the kids to school then the HRM should pay for that.

As someone has pointed out. Get a childminder to take them in as if you are on that little money, you'll get childcare paid anyway with Tax Credits.

My OH is my carer and my Mum helps when she can there is nobody to take me out during the day time I do everything with my partner from shopping to swimming all of the things that other people do those are my mobility needs and we need a car to do those things at any time except night. Those are the mobility needs that a car is essential for but no that car will not sit idol during the day time he will use it for work and be home much earlier as a result giving me more time each day with my carer and meaning he can help with dinner too. My MRC currently has to go toward my mobility but when that changes my social worker suggests we use it to pay for a cleaner to help with the jobs I can't do effectivly from not being able to tell if I have cleaned something properly or not and to do all the things I've missed from not even knowing they were dirty etc. Also I have a stomach condition which can't be treated that leaves me weak and drowsy after I eat food so she thinks taking some of this burden will be a great benefit to me.

As for Tax it may be different if you only have the disc but with a motability vehicle it is fine and they have confirmed this. There was a test case which set president for it I believe and it is something they erasure people of often.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Now I know why some people get annoyed by people claiming DLA.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Savanna
    Savanna Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    "As for Tax it may be different if you only have the disc but with a motability vehicle it is fine and they have confirmed this. There was a test case which set president for it I believe and it is something they erasure people of often."

Did the DVLA tell you this Jetta, as I have checked with them recently about this and was told it was definitely not allowed!
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2011 at 12:33PM
    Options
    But Jetta, what you are failing to understand is that you have a CHOICE on what to use that money for.

The CHOICE you are making is to get a car - when the CHOICE you should be making a PRIORITY is getting your child to school safely.

I know you do not see it this way - but you do already have a car to get you around. You need work work out what you what more - a nice car you 'do not have to pay for' or to get your child to school safely each day.

I am sorry but I know where my priority would lie - transport is not laid on for every parent who has a disability. Because of my son's disability I know many children who have disabled parents and I know lots of children who have disabilities (not just ASD) and I know just one child who gets transport to school. And that parent has no disability, the LEA choise his school so the LEA have to get him there.

You are coming across as extremely selfish and get on your high horse the minute someone dare say 'maybe you are not entitled to free school travel, this is what your money is for'. You also are adamant that you can use that car for your husband to get to work when others WITH EXPERIENCE OF MOTABILITY tell you that the rules state otherwise. Maybe you feel that you might not get caught and are going to do it anyway. That is up to you but there is always someone curtain twitching ready to grass others up. Good luck with that one.

However, why on earth, when you CHOSE to have a child when you had a disability, would you expect the LA to leep on paying money out for YOUR child - especiually when people are losing their jobs, cutback for disabled people and the elderly are being made, why on earth do you think you are special enough to be given a 'free' car and free transport for your child as well.

The sad thing is, everyone - except you - can see how greedy you are being, but you cannot.
  • blue_monkey_2
    edited 2 March 2011 at 12:34PM
    Options
    My OH is my carer and my Mum helps when she can there is nobody to take me out during the day time I do everything with my partner from shopping to swimming all of the things that other people do those are my mobility needs and we need a car to do those things at any time except night. Those are the mobility needs that a car is essential for but no that car will not sit idol during the day time he will use it for work and be home much earlier as a result giving me more time each day with my carer and meaning he can help with dinner too. My MRC currently has to go toward my mobility but when that changes my social worker suggests we use it to pay for a cleaner to help with the jobs I can't do effectivly from not being able to tell if I have cleaned something properly or not and to do all the things I've missed from not even knowing they were dirty etc. Also I have a stomach condition which can't be treated that leaves me weak and drowsy after I eat food so she thinks taking some of this burden will be a great benefit to me.

As for Tax it may be different if you only have the disc but with a motability vehicle it is fine and they have confirmed this. There was a test case which set president for it I believe and it is something they erasure people of often.

You see this. Maybe it's time to sit back and realise how lucky you are. I cannot get out during the day or evening if I do not have anyone to help me with my son. If I need to pay for a carer then I will - he gets nothing for mobility. We are in the same situation as you - only you get out more than us - so maybe we are entitled to one too? Here is the difference though, no-one offers us help, we have my sister who helps very occassionally if we want a night at the movies (4 or 5 times since he was born 7 years ago to see HP, that is it) We do not get nights out, cannot go shopping, I cannot take my kids swimming, or to the cinema without 1:1 and don;t even think about days out together which usually end in a disaster - and all we are entitled to is MRC.

Do I care? No, because I am grateful I get something that helps pay for someone when I need someone. But it is not something we can afford to do very often.

However, here you are with full rate expecting to get more, and more, and more. No doubt you get Tax Credits too the max too. Be grateful for what you have and that you are here to experience these things with your daughter. You say your daughter is your carer too, well my daughter is also to my ASD son. She cannot go out because of him, she has no friends because of him, we cannot have people round because of him. Life is what it is and we make the most of every day we have together. I certainly would not be handing out my begging bowl every 5 minutes.

Like the woman I know who went to Family Fund and got the money for an overseas holiday when she has been on holiday 3-4 times since that one last summer. I'd rather the money to go to people who NEED it, not to people who think they should HAVE it, just because they can.

The whole thing just makes me squirm, just how greedy some people can be and how they think using a disability to get what they can is a great thing - and I am sorry but you are one of these people. You are only a victim because you make yourself one. A complainer. I bet you are a joy to be around.

One minute you cannot get anywhere during the day - next minute your mum is there to help you 'when she can'. Either way, your daughter currently gets to school safely (your disability is not new as you state your DD has been your eyes all her life' - and has for the last 2 years - so maybe it's best to carry on those arrangements instead of grasping to see what you can get and let those that need it have it instead.
  • jetta_wales
    Options
    DLA is intended for the dissabled persons needs not their childrens thus to suggest that using my DLA fmeany needs is wrong is quite perplexing lol.

I did not say that every dissabled child has free transport.

Motability themselves I'm sure have more knowledge than people here as to what is and is not allowed. Feel free to call them yourself if you wish I can give you the number too.

I had helpful replies quite a while ago in the thread, yes others do have this support. If you wish me housebound that says more about you than me and I don't care about such a blinkered view.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • jetta_wales
    Options
    "I can't get the help that we need so you shouldn't either!"

Think that's a pretty good summary of this to be honest.

Great attitude to have.
  • blue_monkey_2
    edited 2 March 2011 at 12:59PM
    Options
    "I can't get the help that we need so you shouldn't either!"

Think that's a pretty good summary of this to be honest.

Great attitude to have.

No, this is what you THINK it is we are saying.

I CHOSE to have children, one of them has a disability. I am grateful to get what I get now, I don't care if they take it away tomorrow. We could probably claim more but we have enough so why should we. My husband is in a low paid job as well. I could probably go to work and palm the kids off on a childminder and get WTC/free Childcare too but I chose not to - something I decided before having kids.

The point is that you are not even in the slightest bit grateful which is why you are on here asking 'I want my child taken to school' as well as getting the car to get me around. But hold on, the car is not there to get you around so you do not actually need one. Your partner already has one.

Whats more - he is paid carers allowance too. Does that not cover the £200 a month car insurance to give you the extra care you need him to be there for. Doh!! This IS what is for right, so he can be home earlier. The Carers rate does cover the car insurance you mentioned then?

You have got what you are entitled to, use that for what it is intended - if you cannot cope on whatv you have then stop spending. That money is to get YOUR child to school as you cannot (you know, that child you chose to have, knowing you had limitations and would one day have to get her there) - not to get your partner to work. The partner who already has a means of getting to work in the car that he has.

And this has nothing to do with 'I cannot have it so neither should you' you daft cow. I know you can't see but maybe you need to go back and have another read of what it is everyone is saying as you seem to manage OK on other thread.

Ooh, I have to say people like you make my skin crawl. HRM, HRC, CA, TC, WTC, whatever else. And still you want more. No wonder the country is in the state it is with a generation of people with your attitude!! How you cannot manage on that money is anyones guess, really it is. Maybe you need to make some lifestyle changes when you change that attitude of yours, too.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    DLA is intended for the dissabled persons needs not their childrens thus to suggest that using my DLA fmeany needs is wrong is quite perplexing lol.

It is the need of a disabled non working mother to get her children safely to school; it is not her need to provide cheap transport for her partner.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options

I had helpful replies quite a while ago in the thread, yes others do have this support. If you wish me housebound that says more about you than me and I don't care about such a blinkered view.

You are no more or less housebound whether your family has a Motability car or the one that you already pay for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure