Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

March 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 147

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2011 at 12:01AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 167.7K views

Replies

• slbhillslbhill Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ab7 wrote: »
    Ok I tried, I really did but depressingly it came to £400 when I totalled up the spreadsheets :o Tis not the weekly shop I struggle with but the top ups during the week!

I have the same issue -The GC has helped me reduce what I buy when I do go in but the big difference for me is being really careful with my weekly list so that I only rarely have to buy anything between weekly shops. Is there anything you can do to cut down on the number of visits?

Apologies if I am teaching my grandma to suck eggs here :o, but I have a list of everything I buy (not individual items, but headings - bread, rolls, milk, cheese, sandwich meat, snacks...) which I keep on the kitchen noticeboard. As I notice we're low on anything (usually when I open the last packet) I put it on the list. Then the day before I go shopping I do a menu plan for the week starting from stuff I already have & adding anything extra to the list. So for example I had cream and bacon to use up, so I added parmesan to my list so we could have carbonara. Then I skim through the list and check my stock levels. This means I'm a lot less likely to run out of something mid-week and have to enter the zone of temptation :rotfl: Of course it doesn't always work (my OH has only just got the hang of putting something on the list if he's low, and the amount of bread & milk we use is a bit variable. The freezer helps there though!).

But anyway I'm sure you've spent a lot less than if you hadn't been trying the challenge & got a lot more aware of what you spend and when :T, hope you're happier with your results next month !
  • fingersxedfingersxed Forumite
    268 posts
    £523.93!!!!! :mad: Hangs head in utter shame. I thought i was doin so well but having just checked my handbag for recipts I found one from tesco that i had not put on spreadsheet!! it was for +£80!!

Oh well must try harder. Put me down for £450 in April please. I have upped my budget cause I have yet to come within budget, the kids are off a fair chunk of April, and food seems to have gone up more than i thought.
  • beemuzedbeemuzed Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh help - well over this month, and no idea why - meed to go back to saving every receipt I think!

£390!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • :eek: I've completely lost track of my spending this month :o I *think* I am under budget as I got some of the Mr T DTD vouchers.......but not 100% sure :o There is no point in declaring as I really have no clue!!! Am back for April though and am going to go for £250 again. I will keep a better track this time as well :o
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Declaring for March at £69.85, only just squeaked in under target! Lucky that, specially as I had to do my last weekly shop in a Co-op so that one was a bit more expensive than my shops in other supermarkets.
  • Missus_AkaMissus_Aka Forumite
    285 posts
    declaring £94.32 for march
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    987 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky I didn't declare sooner, as I went to A1di on Thursday and spent another £14.66, so declaring at £126.97 for March.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• edited 4 April 2011 at 3:42PM
    goodlife_wannabesgoodlife_wannabes Forumite
    51 posts
    edited 4 April 2011 at 3:42PM
    Hi Please put me down as £171.10 of March and £200 for April
    MAR GC /£346
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your dinner 2017
  • mfwin2019mfwin2019 Forumite
    115 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    £25 over but because of Mr T DTD the cupboards are bulging - £210/£185