Shopping Smarter?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
53 replies 9.2K views

Replies

• Thanks for that. I couldn't get the newsletter to open online and when I was in on Friday it was the veg and no clue to the next offer! Very handy as the wee one eats apples as if they are going out of fashion (as does the rabbit!), OH is a pineapple fiend and MiL likes her oranges! :T
  • Once a week I cook lamb liver or kidneys.

Livers are really cheap and filling, full of protein and low in fat. Here's my recipe, don't worry about the quantities as its a very forgiving dish.

Fry onions until really soft. Turn the heat right up and add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and then put aside.

Fry streaky bacon until really crisp and set aside with the onions.

Fry the liver really quickly and add the onions and bacon and some boiling water to make a gravy. Add some more balsamic vinegar if it still needs a kick and serve with mashed potatoes and veg. Goes fantastically well with dijon mustard and the balsamic vinegar really makes it a different dish.

I also make a stroganoff with just kidneys which I think is a Delia recipe.

Slowly fry oinion and when soft add loads mushrooms and slowly fry. The mushrooms release a lot of liquid. Turn up the heat and add lambs kidneys (stalked and thinly sliced). Season and add grated nutmeg, a small carton of soured cream and serve with plain rice and veg if needed.

I have three children and they do like these dishes. Obviously not as popular as McDonalds but not as unpopular as Mackerel!!! Still working on that one.
  • junojuno Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you "like" the co-operative food on facebook, there is a link for a £5 off £30 spend. You can just go to the link without facebook but I can't remember it - I think the site was something to do with sky or clouds or something. You can also become a member and get a share of the profits.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    bromleymum wrote: »
    I have three children and they do like these dishes. Obviously not as popular as McDonalds but not as unpopular as Mackerel!!! Still working on that one.

our house is the complete oposite liver didn't go down well at all (with any of us) but all my kids loved mackerel and even better it was free cause hubby goes fishing :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • ArilAril Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Double check the freezer section at the supermarket for meat...I often find that the healthier mince is cheaper than the fresh one and as the likelihood is that I'll freeze the fresh one anyway....
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • I like to do mackerel on toast topped with tomato slices and grated cheese, sometimes use pitta breads as well as a base.
    Freebies Received: Supersavvyme bag, Olay moisturiser, Barbara Daly/Tesco Mascara, Seeds of Change Choccie, Yorkshire Tea Kenyan teabags, Tesco mobile sim cards x 2.

Won: Yorkshire Tea goodie box
  • juno wrote: »
    If you "like" the co-operative food on facebook, there is a link for a £5 off £30 spend. You can just go to the link without facebook but I can't remember it - I think the site was something to do with sky or clouds or something. You can also become a member and get a share of the profits.

Its called vouchurecloud :D
  • catpaws99 wrote: »
    Mr T has value baby wipes 18p a packet, you could try using these for nursery.

These are just as good or even better than the big branded ones.
  • Aril wrote: »
    Double check the freezer section at the supermarket for meat...I often find that the healthier mince is cheaper than the fresh one and as the likelihood is that I'll freeze the fresh one anyway....
    Aril

I have bought frozen mince a couple of times over the years and always found the smell to be very strong, as if it has a lot of offal added. Anyone know of a good quality, fresh smelling, frozen mince that is also inexpensive - not asking much I know. :rotfl:
    Haters are gonna hate - you're not obliged to participate
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shopping Smarter these days you've got to have eyes like a hawk and brain like a computer to work out what's really a deal in the supermarkets.

Asda Smart Price baked beans - 29p per tin

Asda Own Brand baked beans - pack of four £1 (25p per tin)

I'm assuming that Own Brand is supposed to be better standard/quality? than Smart Price yet right now they're cheaper.

And if, in addition to your hawk eyes and computer brain, you happen to be a disbelieving cynic - you might just get through a shop without falling for a deal that isn't. <sigh>
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals