edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
53 replies 9.2K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    quintwins wrote: »
    yeah i sometimes do this if were going on picnics, and it really is an simple as putting them in the slow cooker or low for 4-5 hrs with some salt and pepper (or anything else you want) then lifting them out (works better when there hot i find) and i just take a fork and a knife and pull the meat off, it really does just fall off, if it's for sandwichs i leave it to cool and put it in fridge, if i make casarole strain the liquid and put it and the chicken back in usually with some carrots/onion/celery/peppers whatever really and leave it for another 2 hrs or so, it's yummy :) and i really moist meat

and i tend to use value or lidl chicken when on offer

Thankyou. can they go in on their own ?
    And is that on low , medium or high ??
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i do mine on low first thing, then i usually remove the bones about 3ish, they can stick so if your doing them on your own a wee spray or basting of oil will help but yeah you don't need water or anything
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Hales82 wrote: »
    Whilst there we stocked up a bit and it got me thinking that perhaps it might be cheaper for me to do a meat shop once a month when the offers were on? We could spend £40-£50 and that would do us in meat for the whole month (a chicken does between 2-3 meals).
    That's exactly what I've done this month, as a trial, and it's worked very well indeed.

I buy my meat from £idl, so I have to buy it as and when it's on offer (as opposed to all in one go) but by doing so I've got a lot more meat for my money, and will definitely be doing the same next month.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • bluebagbluebag Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    I used to shop online but I'm finding I have to shop around a bit more these days as things have got a little tighter. I use the super six veg each week if possible and mysupermarket is good for finding the main special offers at each supermarket.

I try to have one meat free meal a week now, most diets are well supplied with protein so a little less won't matter.

I have no doubt that all the unrest in the middle east is going to raise the price of oil and that will transfer to prices in due course so things are probably going to get tighter still, so more tightening and inventiveness needed.
  • exlibrisexlibris Forumite
    696 Posts
    ✭✭
    Rebob wrote: »
    What about using liver for one of your meals? I use pigs liver and pan fry with onions, add gravy to stop it going dry and serve with mashed potatoes, peas and carrots for a cheap tasty meal.

I used to cook this slowly in the oven with a stock cube made up with water when we ate red meat. It makes gorgeous gravy.

I don't have a slow cooker but I expect it would work well in one.
  • We have 3 adults and 1 child in our house as MiL is here too. Definitely check for meat offers as the 3 for 1's can vary a lot. Mr T packs are quite small whereas Asda ones are bigger. We went to Lidl last weekend and stocked up on pork chops (4 for £1.49) and mince (500g for £1.49) :j. Ended up with 6 of each so 12 packs for £17.88. Much better than 3 for £10. :j Not so good this week as it was pork belly steaks :( but looking out for next week.

Both Lidl and Aldi do 5 in 1 dishwasher tabs for 3.99. You can cut them in half and they work fine. Lidl's cleaning products are very good and very reasonably priced.

If you have a Farmfoods near you they do milk 2 x 2l for £1.60 and 2 Hovis best of Both Bread for £1.25. Tesco did have their value penne pasta at 20p a 500g pack last weekend so we stocked up on that too as well as the rice which was down to about 60p for a kilo :D.

Look out for Aldi's super 6 veg/fruit offer too. Veg last week at 39p a pack eg 1kg carrots, salad potatoes etc Next week I think it's fruit. They also have free range eggs 85p for 6. We've saved a packet by online scouting before shopping and not taking the wee one or OH into shops! ;) Oh and always eat before you go!
  • Ooops that was 3 for £10's!
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of our posters serve soup, fresh bread and a hot pudding once a week to cut the butcher-bill down a bit. I think it's a fab idea.
  • TireeTiree Forumite
    44 Posts
    Have you thought about a menu plan for a month rather than a week? I started doing this last Summer and have noticed quite a saving on my grocery bill. When I get paid I buy the meat and non-perishables that we'll need for the menu over the month and then each week I only need to buy perishables when I go to Mr T and the local Farm shop. We don't have a big kitchen but I can just about squeeze a months worth of stuff into it and at least I know we have enough food to see us through the month.
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    burge23 wrote: »
    We have 3 adults and 1 child in our house as MiL is here too. Definitely check for meat offers as the 3 for 1's can vary a lot. Mr T packs are quite small whereas Asda ones are bigger. We went to Lidl last weekend and stocked up on pork chops (4 for £1.49) and mince (500g for £1.49) :j. Ended up with 6 of each so 12 packs for £17.88. Much better than 3 for £10. :j Not so good this week as it was pork belly steaks :( but looking out for next week.

Both Lidl and Aldi do 5 in 1 dishwasher tabs for 3.99. You can cut them in half and they work fine. Lidl's cleaning products are very good and very reasonably priced.

If you have a Farmfoods near you they do milk 2 x 2l for £1.60 and 2 Hovis best of Both Bread for £1.25. Tesco did have their value penne pasta at 20p a 500g pack last weekend so we stocked up on that too as well as the rice which was down to about 60p for a kilo :D.

Look out for Aldi's super 6 veg/fruit offer too. Veg last week at 39p a pack eg 1kg carrots, salad potatoes etc Next week I think it's fruit. They also have free range eggs 85p for 6. We've saved a packet by online scouting before shopping and not taking the wee one or OH into shops! ;) Oh and always eat before you go!

Yes, apples, oranges, pineapples, kiwi and can't remember what else...
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs