We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Real Life MMD: Should I send the wallpaper back?

Options

Comments

• quarkuk
    quarkuk Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2011 at 9:55AM
    Options
    easy one this, decorate your room, send 5 rolls back for full refund, sell the rest on e-bay for as much as you can must be the ferengie in me.glad to help:j
  • There is little to think about here. Yes, it was their fault they sent you too many rolls of wallpaper, but it is easily rectifiable. You must make every effort to contact the company that sent the delivery to point out their mistake. If you aren't able to do that because you don't have their contact details, then you must contact the company you placed the order with. Only if that doesn't work would it be acceptable to keep the extra rolls of wallpaper. Who needs 40 extra rolls anyway?!
  • quiltingmay
    Options
    to steal or not to stal that is the question? What kind of person are you that thinks stealing can be ok? There is no dilema, you contact them and ask them to collect THEIR property. It is not yours and someone could lose their job over a mistake.... Have you never made a mistake!?!
  • an1179
    an1179 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    E-mail them and let them know their mistake.
  • chog24
    chog24 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Turn it around: if you'd ordered 45 rolls and they sent 5 with invoices saying that your order was complete, would you contact them to find out where the rest of the wallpaper was?

Of course you would! There's no difference here; of course you need to alert them to the mistake and send the stuff back.
  • baroley
    Options
    Just send them back. It's simply the right thing to do. Karma, good or bad.
    Grocery challenge month runs from 25th to 24th
    January £100. £96.20
    February £100. £1.64
  • DaveK
    DaveK Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to me with LoveFilm shop. I ordered a playstation game, 4 days later I got an email saying it was out of stock and as I needed it for a present I cancelled.
    2 days latter a received the game, then I received another and another!!!! In total they sent me 3 games when I'd paid for none!

They sent me a note apologising for sending me 2 games in error and to send them back, I sent all 3 back even though they obviously didn't know what they were doing.
  • Sheepster
    Options
    Send it back - no question. At their expense though of course.

Putting aside all the moral question of theft - what on earth are you going to do with rolls of wallpaper anyway! CD's or DVDs can be sold - but wallpaper? You get some right rubbish on ebay, but...................
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've had similar things happen to me over the years.

I always point out the mistake. 80% of the time the retailer lets you keep it as a goodwill gesture (ie, they can't be bothered to pick it up) Most that has been left with me due to retailer error was £175 of goods.

Another fun one was a friends wedding, which we helped cater. We bought shedloads of drink on BOGOF and returned the items that weren't used. Tesco had stopped doing the BOGOF, so the refund was for double the return. We pointed it out straight away to CS and she looked at it and said "Oh well, consider it a wedding present to your friend from Tesco..." Tesco ended up paying my friend to have the alcohol at the wedding!!!!!!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Judith_Proctor
    Options
    Contact the company and ask them to arrange collection.

Because you may have got someone else's order and they're waiting for it.

Because someone might lose a job over that much paper going missing.

Because we're in a recession and it sometimes takes very little to push a business over the edge.

Because someday it might be you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport