🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you HAVE to provide proof of appts to employer?

Options
13»

Comments

• buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    Viktory, thank you for a nice sensible answer, THAT'S what replies should be about, not posts questioning why the OP posted his/her question. Thank you.
    Same goes for Mrs Manda.
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Current job no we arent asked to show proof but im sure 1 of previous jobs we were asked for proof but i always made my appointments when i had a day off so didnt need to show proof
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    chalk one up here for switching days off to account for appointments - although when you're seriously in trouble (as i was last time round!) it helps to have an employer who understands that if you have 3-4 appointments in a week, there's jack you can do about it!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • dark_lady
    Options
    I always used to book appointments for my day off when i worked in retail but then my manager would change my day off with no notice( for instance she would tell me on a tuesday evening at 5.30pm that i would have to take wednesday as my day off instead of thursday so then i would have to cancel any appointments made for that day) My day off would sometimes change from week to week as well so it could also be impossible to book appointments in the first place. The amount of appointments i had to cancel was ridiculous. However when i first started work in this particular shop i did say i had an appointment with the dentist because of an abscess and they said as it was booked before i got the job that they would honour it.
    Then they decided to send me on a training course on the day of the appointment so pressure was put on me to cancel the dental appointment which i did. Then guess what, the training was cancelled on the morning we were due to go. i did manage to get it sorted in the end. A few years later though i saw a news report about a teenage boy who nearly died because of an untreated abscess in his mouth. At that time i just didnt realise it was life threatening. If i had i certainly wouldnt have cancelled that initial appointment.
    However it was a new job and we all know a new employer can get rid of you any time they like. I do sometimes wonder though that if i had stood my ground more with the initial appointment maybe i would have been treated better when it came to the future appointments.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As other posters have said, different employers have different procedures, but there is no legal requirement for an employee to provide any personal information to their employer.

However, as an employer I know which of the following two scenarios I would feel more inclined to be helpful towards:

a/ Employee says to me "I need 2 hours off tomorrow afternoon, but I'm not going to tell you why", or

b/ Employee says to me "I'm really sorry if this is inconvenient, but my husband is currently undergoing treatment for cancer, he has a chemotherapy session tomorrow afternoon and is unable to drive himself home afterwards. Whenever possible we've been arranging for another family member to drive him, but we've just not been able to sort anything out for tomorrow, would it be okay if I took a couple of hours off so I can do it"?

Like most relationships, the employer/employee relationship is generally assisted, not hindered, by good communication.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SueC wrote: »
    b/ Employee says to me "I'm really sorry if this is inconvenient, but my husband is currently undergoing treatment for cancer, he has a chemotherapy session tomorrow afternoon and is unable to drive himself home afterwards. Whenever possible we've been arranging for another family member to drive him, but we've just not been able to sort anything out for tomorrow, would it be okay if I took a couple of hours off so I can do it"?

Like most relationships, the employer/employee relationship is generally assisted, not hindered, by good communication.

I also suspect that a lot of employees would allow you to take off & still pay you in this case ....

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    when i worked at the clap clin we had a generic letter on headed paper to give to bosses....

it used to cause much hilarity when patients had given us fake names!!!!!!!

i'll never forget the day we had 4 James Bonds walk through the clinc doors together, caused havoc all the way through clinic....

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family