Do you HAVE to provide proof of appts to employer?

Options
Hi, last week i informed my boss that i had to leave work early the next day for a dentist appt, he said it was ok but could i provide him with proof/appointment card. I have no problem with this but he mentioned that he is going to ask everyone to show proof of appointments from now on. I was interested to know if employees have to do this if they need to leave work early?
Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably depends on whether they want to be paid.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Sounds they susspect someone of abusing the system.

Easier to make the same rule for everyone rather than pick on those they susspect.

Perhaps for a bit of fun everyone could put in an apointment card from the STD clinic at the begining of April.
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    sorry, i forgot to say that if we have time off then we dont get paid so when we ask to leave early we obviously accept that we wont get paid for those hours.
  • buel
    Options
    ps- loved the std idea!!?
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    The employer could just refuse the time of completley if employees start refusing to show proof that the time of to break the contract is required for an appointment.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    My old employer gave us 15 hours a year for appointments, but any appointment we booked we had to show appointment cards and letters. Only fair really when before employees were abusing the system before proof was required.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does your employer have to let you have time off for appointments? No.

If your employer allows time off with an appointment card, it is a good idea to co-operate or be forced to book annual leave instead? Yes.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • buel
    Options
    Thank you all, i agree totally, as i said earlier- i have no problem with it!
    Ok, here's something more complicated- what if the appointment is to take a wife/husband/partner to hospital due to injury/illness? Does one then have to provide the appointment card which may well contain a clue as to what the partner's illness is?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    buel wrote: »
    Ok, here's something more complicated- what if the appointment is to take a wife/husband/partner to hospital due to injury/illness? Does one then have to provide the appointment card which may well contain a clue as to what the partner's illness is?

It's not more complicated - the answer is exactly the same. It's up to the employer as to what he wants to see and whether he allows the time. Some may take the view they will allow you personal time off but not time off for the needs of others.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Options
    buel wrote: »

Just show the partners appt card.

Not being funny, but if you agree with your employer, why are you here asking if you have to provide evidence?

What if everyone here said "No you don't HAVE to"...would you go back to your employer saying you aren't going to show the proof?

If the appt is genuine, then you have nothing to worry about, and it's no hardship providing evidence in the form of a letter or card. Unfortunately some people like to play the system for whatever reason, and make it difficult for everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure