🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you HAVE to provide proof of appts to employer?

Options

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    buel wrote: »
    Ok, here's something more complicated- what if the appointment is to take a wife/husband/partner to hospital due to injury/illness? Does one then have to provide the appointment card which may well contain a clue as to what the partner's illness is?

Hi ....

Actually if my wife was ill & needed to attend hospital on a regular basis, then I would inform my boss - better that they understand why I need time off ...

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    Gordon Hose, it's people like you/posts like that that give forums a bad name.
    You ask what i would do if everyone on here said 'No you dont HAVE to...' ....would i then refuse to show my employer the proof? Dont be ridiculous, i would simply take on board the people's opinions+then make my own decision. Wouldn't you? Luckilly i have a dentist's appointment+card so i dont mind.
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you all, i agree totally, as i said earlier- i have no problem with it!
    Ok, here's something more complicated- what if the appointment is to take a wife/husband/partner to hospital due to injury/illness? Does one then have to provide the appointment card which may well contain a clue as to what the partner's illness is?

Most employers would expect you to book annual leave if you wish to attend a routine hospital appointment for a partner/spouse in which case they will not require an appointment card.

If it is a frequent need for an ongoing illness then a discussion in order to come to an arrangement which meets the needs of the employer and the employee will most certainly involve disclosure of the illness. Eg attending Chemotherapy with your spouse.

The alternative is to ask for time off, risk being refused and then go down a disciplinary for not attending work as per your contract.

Ultimately the employer holds the cards when holidays and unpaid time are requested, unless it is covered by Emergency Dependant, which would not cover an ongoing need for care.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 14 February 2011 at 1:14PM
    Options
    Gordon Hose, it's people like you/posts like that that give forums a bad name.
    You ask what i would do if everyone on here said 'No you dont HAVE to...' ....would i then refuse to show my employer the proof? Dont be ridiculous, i would simply take on board the people's opinions+then make my own decision. Wouldn't you? Luckilly i have a dentist's appointment+card so i dont mind.

LOL! Yeah, of course you know me so well. Have a word!!! :rotfl:

I even said "not being funny"...

If I didn't have a problem with it, I would just present my proof with no fuss. Not come onto the internet and ask random people what they think about a question I already know the answer to.

Just. Wow. It's over-sensitive pillocks like yourself that give forums bad names. If you don't want to hear the bare truth, don't use the interent. Seriously. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, last week i informed my boss that i had to leave work early the next day for a dentist appt, he said it was ok but could i provide him with proof/appointment card. I have no problem with this but he mentioned that he is going to ask everyone to show proof of appointments from now on. I was interested to know if employees have to do this if they need to leave work early?

What happens then if you don't have an appointment card? Something you wouldn't normally get if ringing for an appointment with the doctor/dentist.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    What happens then if you don't have an appointment card? Something you wouldn't normally get if ringing for an appointment with the doctor/dentist.

Don't ask difficult questions, the OP will have to start another thread to find out.

Then another thread to ask what to have for dinner.
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    Liney, that is exactly the sort of sensible answer i was after. Thank you so much.

Gh- the reason i asked the question is that there is exactly that scenario unfolding at my place of work+im interested to see how it will play out.
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Where I work people are allowed to leave work for appointments, they get paid for it and don't have to make the time back up.

As you can imagine everybody's dentist appointments are always booked for 3pm. This means they don't need to bother coming back in to work after their appointment.

It seems your employer is just trying to prevent problems arising which is probably sensible.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    I work for an LA - we have flexi time and are expected to book doctor and dentist appointments outside of core hours (which are before 10am and after 4pm). We are not expected to show evidence of this - just as welll really as I make my appointments over the phone and therefore are not given an appointment card. However, blood tests and hospital appointments are different. As you rarely, if ever, get to select the time of your appointment we can attend at whatever time. We are expected to provide evidence of these appointments though.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    westv wrote: »

You can always tell your employer you made the appointment over the phone and will give her an appointment card the next day - the receptionist at your doctor/dentist will be happy to give you an appointment card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport