A billion pounds or your dream?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
24 replies 2.6K views
Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
9.6K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll Started 14 November 2006: Is money your dream? A lighter poll this week, the options list a series of 'fun lifetime dreams' for you to pick. Many of them will also, of course, make you a lot of money but none of them close to a billion pounds. If you could only pick one would you…

Have a worldwide number one single?
Play football for your national team at the World Cup?
Win Miss World?
Become Prime Minister?
Win the Olympic 100 metres gold medal?
Write a best-selling novel?
Win the Oscar for Best Actor/Actress?
Get your own prime time Saturday night TV programme?
Be worth £1,000,000,000 (a billion) pounds?
Spend a night with your favourite Hollywood star?

Vote here or click reply to discuss
threadbanner.gif
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• Coveredinbees!!!!Coveredinbees!!!! Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of the above really. I don't think I would want to be that rich and I definatly wouldn't want to be famous. I will go with comfortably well off, healthy and probably not living in the UK.
    Is it summer yet?
  • CageyCagey Forumite
    295 Posts
    Being a national forum I would havwe thought it should have been play for your national team in the world cup but then most English think Britain is Engerland.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cagey you're quite right, will have it changed tomorrow! Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • For some reason best-selling novel is in second place with 20%?

Can't understand that one. Most authors have little or no celebrity or recognition, and don't earn that much either. A best-seller isn't going to make you for life.

A billion pounds is a silly number anyway....
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • TrowTrow Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    whambamboo - I can't understand why people would want 'celebrity or recognition'... each to their own I guess!
  • saver6saver6 Forumite
    340 Posts
    I was torn between the money and the oscar, as that's been a lifetime dream anyway. However I went with the money, but ONLY because that would mean I could afford to quit my job and persue the dream properly!
  • :confused: No - none of these really appeal. The money is far too great and who would want to have any kind of celebrity status with the media coverage that goes with it. I went for the best-selling novel on the assumption that at least there's some talent :rotfl: in that one !!;) - but little physical recognition in the street!
  • leftieMleftieM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Husband wants to know more about the 'Win Miss World' option. Does it refer to winning the competition or do you acquire Miss World herself?
    Stercus accidit
  • I'll never understand why people think winning large sums is too much for them. The possibilities would be endless with that sort of financial clout. For example saver6 could start his/her own film studio and star in all the films. The footy fans could start their own clubs, writers could publish their own books...

Even if you thought the money was too much for you, you could simply redistribute it to those you thought worthy or give your favourite charities a huge boost. Or you could grant the wishes of a few thousand people here at MSE and clear there debts!

Personally I could find ways to spend 10 times that amount!

...And if anyone has 10 billlion laying around I'll prove it! :D
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • There's usually a "none of the above" type option on these polls - why not this one?

If this was a paper vote I'd be spoiling my paper, in the same way as many people feel the need to these days in General Elections (all the candidates are rubbish!!), by scrawling "none of the above" all over it.

Some of us wish for simple things - not fame or money.

Even if I gave away every pound of the billion to charity, the choice of where it should go would tie me up in knots - no thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals