Odd telephone call from First Credit Limited

Options

Comments

• Thryi
    Thryi Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 2 January 2012 at 2:00AM
    Options
    Hi I posted back in August 2010 about 1st Credit - thanks to the letter that I sent that I got from this website they dropped the case...but...a few days ago I got a new letter from them about an account with HFC which I have never had...

Scarily enough the comment in the letter was (and I quote):

"We are writing to inform you that we have been monitoring your credit activity with one of the credit referencing agencies.

We have recieved recent notification which suggests that your financial position has changed and we would like to review your account with 1st Credit"

The scary thing about that statement is that I have just taken on a credit card and am in the process of trying to buy a house - we got turned down for a loan the other day and when I checked I noticed that they have registered a Credit Agreement with 1st Credit on my debt report as being in BANK DEFAULT status... I have NEVER taken out a credit agreement with them so this is fraudulent...I would have thought anyway!

Luckily for me I am quite strong willed and have already emailed them (from a newly created email account that has a 'this account is not monitored please conact direct via post' message on it) the normal letter also pointing out their false claims of a credit agreement - because of this there is the potential that I may not be able to buy my house :mad:

p.s. I signed the petition above!!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    There's lots of useful info in this factsheet

Harassment

Ultimately you could take court action against them. I've found this old post of mine that links to someone who did that (against Lowell). He was awarded £1500 compensation, and your case is more serious than his in that they have already affected your credit report.
  • gazzawazzer
    Options
    Legolam wrote: »
    I joined this forum to get help with this company who was plaguing me with threatening letters just because I had the same name as somebody with a debt. I have no debts but these clowns demand that you prove your innocence to them. I won't be bullied and eventually they went away.

Well now they're back with another bogus claim but this time they've got my phone number from the BT directory. Now they call every day but I won't play ball with them. I don't work for them and don't see why I should be forced to do their dirty work for them. :p

But I worry about the elderly and vulnerable people who will be frightened into helping these rogues run their business. As I said before on this thread, intimidation seems to be key to their business strategy. I have written to the OFT but also set up an e-petition asking the Ministry of Justice to sort these clowns out. It's petition number 22973

I invite you to have a look and sign it. As a newbie I'm not allowed to post a direct link to the e-petitions website but maybe one of you regulars will.

Thanks. :beer:
    hi,
    i have just recieved a letter from 1st direct regarding a personal matter saying your address has been supplied as a possible address for our subject and asking them to contact them ,it is obvious they want you to do their dirty work for them.I have never been in debt and have a good credit rating (i am sure i have recieved a letter from them before and ignored it)but you are right in saying it can be unnerving for the vunerable.
  • Paddeyy
    Options
    i received a letter today from 1st credit saying that have bought a debt i owed halifax off royal bank of scotland. they also tell me that any money i get paid into my bank account will be taken to pay off the debt. can they do this without speaking to me in person, or without me contacting them. otherwise i will have to get my money paid in someone elses account. surely they cant just take my money
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    paddeyy wrote: »
    surely they cant just take my money

No they can't.

Is this your debt?

What exactly are they saying? Can you copy it to this thread?
  • the_Fox_2
    Options
    paddeyy wrote: »
    i received a letter today from 1st credit saying that have bought a debt i owed halifax off royal bank of scotland. they also tell me that any money i get paid into my bank account will be taken to pay off the debt. can they do this without speaking to me in person, or without me contacting them. otherwise i will have to get my money paid in someone elses account. surely they cant just take my money
    Look closely at the alleged letter of assignment from Halifax. I think that is a fake or forged letter.

I am wondering which authority to take it to.

I think the Police for forgery or Issuing a false Instrument.

Or the Newspapers.
  • Costello123
    Options
    Same thing here - loads of phone calls over last couple of months, completely ignored them, sent them a text to tell them not to contact me again as the number was registered with the TPS for no sales calls.....got a text today saying to contact them with regard to Halifax credit card debt........never had a Halifax credit card or a Halifax account so this is completely and utterly BOGUS.....have put all of the numbers they have contacted me on as reject calls on my mobile now and will just continue to delete the text messages....I know this debt (if it actually exists at all) is not mine and strangely have received no letters or written correspondence about anything to do with Halifax......go away you horrible little scummy firm and leave innocent people alone....
  • loops36
    Options
    Hi

After reading these posts i registered to add mine.

I have received calls from 1st Credit also about debt. They tried ringing my parents house but they dont answer the phone unless its a number they recognise so 1st credit havent had any joy from thet so they have somehow managed to get my work phone number. when i spoke to the very rude (yes even now they are rude and ignorant) woman she asked me to confirm my details when i said no she told me "fine, i will put this down that you wont confirm who you are, i could be speaking to anyone" to which i replied "yes me too, now please ring me on my mobile". I am still waiting on this call. Is anyone else still having problems with these idiots??
  • TheRealNips
    Options
    Hi,

I received two letters from 1st credit at the same time today. Two identical letters in every way. The contact number is 01737 235240, so they must have stopped charging people a lot for contacting them.

I read through all the posts here and wont be replying as people keep saying. I've been living in China for the past 8 years and have only just got back, so not sure what debt they are talking about. At the beginning of this month I was put onto the voting register and I think that's where they got my details from.

So far no phone calls, but what is worrying me is can they harm my parents credit ratings or anything? I'm currently living at my parents house, hence the worrying!

I don't think I had any debt when I left the UK in 2005, but its got me worrying now... I had a Halifax account I didn't close, but when I got back I opened a new account with Halifax and all was fine.

What should I do?

Many Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family