Hotel wants £50 more for being english!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Billy_the_fish
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Who rang to demand the extra £50, the hotel themselves or the booking agent?

Presumably she is in posession of a confirmation of the reservation as well as the receipt?

it was the booking agent who called back.

im sure my mum said she called the hotel 1st but they said they had not recieved a booking so sounds like the agency (which is Gala hotel own booking agency) have taken the booking form there end but then not finallised it with the hotel due to there own error, OR the hotel have refused the booking due to the agency error.

i dont know, but what i do know is my mum has paid in good faith.
    things certainly do not sound right from there end at least.
  • Billy_the_fish
    Options
    hmmm, just googled this.

seems like mixed info but doesnt look good maybe. might have to chase this up more than i thought for them.

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39264
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are your parents actually English though?

What about Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish guests?
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apparently in Russia tourists pay double what Russians pay to go into musemums etc.

In Soviet Russia, museum goes in you.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    vyle wrote: »
    In Soviet Russia, museum goes in you.
    No, it is only the surrealist art exhibitions which do that.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • TheSaint_2
    TheSaint_2 Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work in the hotel industry, and i am afraid to say this practice is normal. Usually there is a surcharge levvied against business travellers, and depending on the hotel - foreigners. Some hotels will not accept certain nationalities at all.
    But most just have different rates - one for British, one for foreigners and one for business travellers (the latter being by far the most expensive). The same principle applies if you book online in advance or just turn up on the night.
    When I was first introduced to this rule I thought it sounded awfully racist too!
  • Billy_the_fish
    Options
    squack wrote: »
    Hello Billy I have a hotel booked near Westminster London for two nights 12th and 13th April, I maybe unable to go so if your parents maybe interested PM me!

just looked and thats a tuesday/wednesday so maybe no good to you

i think we might have a winner possibly here.

its the 12th/13th they are stopping. i said the weekend of the 13th as i thought it was a weekend but seems they staying in london the 12th and 13th.

ill PM you if i dont see a reply to this post from you in the next few days to see if maybe the offer still available but will wait to see what gala does first in terms of cancelling or honouring the agreement for what my folks have paid for.

huge thanks for the offer whether its possible or not, nice thought :)
  • Billy_the_fish
    Options
    TheSaint wrote: »
    I used to work in the hotel industry, and i am afraid to say this practice is normal. Usually there is a surcharge levvied against business travellers, and depending on the hotel - foreigners. Some hotels will not accept certain nationalities at all.
    But most just have different rates - one for British, one for foreigners and one for business travellers (the latter being by far the most expensive). The same principle applies if you book online in advance or just turn up on the night.
    When I was first introduced to this rule I thought it sounded awfully racist too!

i fully appreciate that certain rates apply the world over, whilst out in disney florida there are sets of charges for tourists and nationals etc

i.e. am guessing it cheaper for a yank to visit disney parks than it is a tourist.

All good when said and done, but fact of the matter here is that they offered a price with no rules rguarding nationalitiy, they take the payment from my folks, even post/email a receipt for payment.

Then the phone call asking for more money after terms and conditions have been agreed and payed for.

easy to say the power is with us but as its an online payment from a seemingly foreign company then i aint so confident with that.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, get them to put their request for more money in writing... with an explanation in writing just why more money should be paid.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When in South Africa to a get a booking in the Kruger Park at busy times you had to book from London, they wanted the tourists not the local riff raff :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure