Hotel wants £50 more for being english!!!!!!!!

Options
Parents booked a hotel in London for april.

paid last monday the full amount and recieved the receipt.

Friday they get a phone call saying they are required to pay a further £50 on top of what they have already because they are an english citizen!!

1. is there any info on this alien/english residency hotel charge?

and

2. what rights do my parents have if any?

they paid in full with receipt for proof.

its a gala hotel but booked through 'gala hotels' (sister company i think for bookings?!?!?)

any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VAT not originally charged as they believed your parents were from overseas?
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Billy_the_fish
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »

totally reasonable.

:rotfl:

i reckon my folks could handle a travel lodge for the night/weekend if they had too.

on a serious note though if anyone got any ideas then hit me witht hem please.

thx
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have the asked the hotel for clarification as to why english residents need to pay more?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    I've just scanned the site's T's & C's and cant see anything with regard to an extra charge of this nature. Is it possible your parents misunderstood perhaps?

If it were me, I'd be phoning the hotel myself and asking some questions to clarify.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Billy_the_fish
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    I've just scanned the site's T's & C's and cant see anything with regard to an extra charge of this nature. Is it possible your parents misunderstood perhaps?

If it were me, I'd be phoning the hotel myself and asking some questions to clarify.

no mis-understanding at all.

Majestic hotel - convent garden area

booked via 'gala hotels' booking agency

all confirmed and paid for

then 5 days later, you MUST pay £50 as your an english resident!! via aphone call.

was kind of cajouled into tryin to take the £50 option from the person calling but my mum refused and said she would be more than happy to cancel under the circumstances and take her custom elsewhere.

this posed a problem for them as they said they couldnt do the cancellation until monday but my parent go away on sunday for a week. but im lending my mum my mobile web dngle to take away with her to use so she can reply to them.

its really a ball ache and isnt called for so i said on the next email them state that you will claiming all/any costs incurred by them (incase they try and play internet tennis with my folks money)

but more than anything just to make them stand up and take notice that they have agreed terms of contract, fee has been paid but now they want more money for services they are providing.

maybe wrong but if get a quote on job then thats the price paid no matter what further costs occur once a contract and terms have been agreed, even before paymet but on this case even the fee has been paid.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    How much was the booking?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 64 but....

.....London and April ? Stay isn't around the 29th is it?

Though can't see the arguement that your parents are english would have any relevance though.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    Surely this kinda comes under racism/discrimination?

I doubt i'd be allowed to run a hotel and go "oh, you look a bit asian. Here's a £50 surcharge."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure