February 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 38

New Post Advanced Search

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 January 2011 at 10:44PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 186.8K views

Replies

• toddles*toddles* Forumite
    362 posts
    just been to HB to get my monthly supply of Nicky toliet roll and my 49p dishwashing tablets. quite a few bargains in there. Just drinking a little treat- Strawberry ribena huge bottle, 79p. lovely.

Spent £24.50 and that was including presents, card and wrap for my friends birthday.
    Happy days
  • I'm coming in at £240 for Feb and hope i CAN DO IT THIS TIME. i WAS GREAT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS, BUT DIDN'T BOTHER DOING A MEAL PLAN THIS MONTH AND NOTICED A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. (OOPS CAPS LOCK!!!)
    So this month I am due to do my 'big shop' tomorrow and will be finalising my meal plan tonight. I have given the family fair warning to give me suggestions, and haven't had a lot of help, so, they can like it or lump it!!!!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • I went to Tesc0 this morning & spent £26.97. I bought quite a bit of rather nice fruit & a few treats but decided I was worth it as I'm pregnant ;) I don't need to go shopping again until this time next week.
  • RhealeaRhealea Forumite
    53 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just a quick post from me as I'm really chuffed by using up food that would normally have gone in the bin! DH did an extra Jacket Potatoe last night by accident so I brought this with me for lunch today topped with left over sausage casserole (not enough to freeze) and a left over spoonful of beans! Tasted lovely and didn't cost me anything to buy lunch at work! Also bananas were very over ripe last night so chopped them up and set a jelly over them and going to turn it into a trifle tonight - the kids won't eat "bad" bananas but will if they're disguised in Jelly!!!
    Grocery Challenge - Jan £426.06 / £435.00
    Feb £376.37 / £435.00
    March £0.00 / £435.00
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Peeps :wave:

my siggy has been updated after a spend of just under £20 spread out over the last couple of days. That leaves me just short of £50 to spend until the 18th which is payday and my March challenge begins :eek:

Thinking about it as i`m doing the GC 4 weekly i shall end up with about a month spare and i`ll be very out of synch with everyone else :p

I shall have to think of a name for my spare month and add it in at the right time so that we are all in a similar timeframe :D

This week i`ve baked some twinks and also the delicious marmalade cake that someone posted, i`m not 100% sure that i remember who it was but Jolaaled your name springs to mind so thanks very much for posting the recipe :A

Halfway through adding the ingredients i discovered that the jar of marmalade that i had was actually a jar of plum jam :D so i used that instead and it was lovely.

I`m off to re-write my meal planner as i`ve swapped so many days around i`m losing track. Its working well which is the main thing :D

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • I have had a busy morning. Still no work because 3 boys off sick. I was at open monring for local 6th form with eldest DS. Since then I have been baking and making chicken stock and spicy lentil soup. I have cheese to grate and breadcrumbs to make. I was planning a NSD but fancy a cheeky wee Shiraz with dinner. If the whim is still with me later, I will give in to temptation. The wine from our local shop is very reasonable.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • edited 2 February 2011 at 4:07PM
    OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 February 2011 at 4:07PM
    Mothership wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO! They came in two bags, one @ 31p and the other 38p. Oh! I know what to do with them all right, we are gonnie eat em!!! :D
    When I posted asking for help I was looking for inspiration, and storage advice, (us city chicks don't know much about these things.) I planted an apple tree a few years back. Its a good size now and is starting to bear fruit, so I was hoping to learn how to store apples properly so I wont waste them :)

Tart tatin is a family favourite (I got a proper dish for it a few xmases ago.) And we have a baby who LOVES apple puree, a family who loves apple sauce, crumble.
    I was also hoping someone had a wee chutney recipe. :D

Mothership there are quite a few recipes using apples in the recipe section at the front of this thread (in the cakes/desserts bit and also in there is a spiced apple chutney you might like to try ?) Just go to the very front of this thread and after all the list of balances/names you come to the recipes.
    Re apple puree, my DS loved that too, any fruit that was looking close to ready he got pureed up lol!
    You might also see if you could find an apple sauce recipe somewhere!
    I think normal apples are usable in most recipes where Bramley are asked for, but you might just add less sugar ?
    Regarding storing, as I said, somewhere cool and dark is best, and I think someone else mentioned brown paper ?
    HTH
    PS I was born and brought up near Glasgow and lived in the southside for a while, so know all about city chicks ;) (you can take the lass ootta Glesga but you cannae take Glesga oot the lass ?) x

ETA I wasn't suggesting you should not buy them if you have use for them, it was just the original 'HELP' that made me think perhaps you thought you had overdone it!
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Well I think I'm doing quite well ;) but I did go food shopping last night - in search of bargains and there was bot all :mad: I also went food shopping today. Have yet to add it all up so will post later this evening BUT I am only spending in cash and I am only buying food at the min (rather than chucking in every "good bargain" I see )
    So think I'm getting through my Feb budget already :eek: but it is my first time ;) also haven't managed any NSD yet :eek:
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• edited 2 February 2011 at 4:38PM
    scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    edited 2 February 2011 at 4:38PM
    slbhill wrote: »

Maybe I could freeze some to keep them away from prying fingers. Does anyone freeze cakes or biscuits successfully? Any tips??

slbhill - I've never frozen cakes before but I freeze Twinks Hobnobs cause when I make them I get about 50 from the recipe which I then bag up into bags of 10 and they have always frozen well, just take them out the morning that you want them and they are still just as yummy as on the first day.;)
    Mothership wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO! They came in two bags, one @ 31p and the other 38p. Oh! I know what to do with them all right, we are gonnie eat em!!! :D
    When I posted asking for help I was looking for inspiration, and storage advice, (us city chicks don't know much about these things.) I planted an apple tree a few years back. Its a good size now and is starting to bear fruit, so I was hoping to learn how to store apples properly so I wont waste them :)

Tart tatin is a family favourite (I got a proper dish for it a few xmases ago.) And we have a baby who LOVES apple puree, a family who loves apple sauce, crumble.
    I was also hoping someone had a wee chutney recipe. :D

Mothership - well done on the haul of Apples, I too would have bought that amount at that price - too much of a bargain to let go.;) I made some Cucumber and Apple chutney in the Autumn, put some in a friend's Xmas Hamper and she has already had another Jar since then as she says it's really yummy - will look for the recipe for you and post later. We have an Apple tree in the Garden and if we have a glut I sometimes cook into puree and freeze in tubs which I can then use through the coming months in puds etc.

I've updated my total with spends from yesterday, a NSD today, spent this morning up at the Allotment to keep me away from temptation. I've planted up some Garlic, never grown it before but as I've got the whole plot ready for this year I want to grow things I've not grown before and want to make sure I use all the available space too.

Tonight is a meat-free night so making Calzones and will serve it with some Salad.

Will pop back later with the Chutney recipe.:D

Just checked my little book, Chutney recipe was from the Allotment website, here's the link:-http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/7/vals-recipe-for-cucumber-and-apple-chutney/
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• edited 2 February 2011 at 4:36PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 February 2011 at 4:36PM
    slbhill wrote: »
    ... Maybe I could freeze some to keep them away from prying fingers. Does anyone freeze cakes or biscuits successfully? Any tips??

yes you can freeze cakes; I used to make several at a time and freeze some for later; sometimes used to freeze it in slices if I remembered :D

I read on here about freezing cookie dough in a roll but you could open freeze and then pack in bags or containers, you could take out just as many as you wanted?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener