How much heating oil have you been getting through?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
24 replies 8.4K views
youmademerealiseyoumademerealise Forumite
17 Posts
We had a new Firebird combi 26kw installed on December 1st. 93% efficient.

Seems like we have burned through 900 litres of oil in just 2 months (1000 minus what's left in the tank), probably having the heating on an average of 10-12 hours a day, and not at a roasting temperature, about 18 C. Pretty standard 3 bed semi.

Realistic for this cold winter, or is another explanation more likely?

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Sounds high to me. We have a piece of junk very old boiler which is to be ripped out at the end of this year and replaced - so not the most efficient.

We use about 600 - 700 litres of oil a year. This is for a two bedroomed bungalow with good insulation. We heat the water and the radiators with this, but we are very conservative. Usually we are out at work most of the time so the heating is only on for a few hours every day and the water is only heated in the morning (about enough for two showers and a few loads of pots in the morning and the evening).

Usually we order oil once a year and manage to go about 11 months before we order. Used a bit more this year though and ordered a month early (after month 10) due to the weather being very cold.
  • Sounds high to me. We have a piece of junk very old boiler which is to be ripped out at the end of this year and replaced - so not the most efficient.

We use about 600 - 700 litres of oil a year. This is for a two bedroomed bungalow with good insulation. We heat the water and the radiators with this, but we are very conservative. Usually we are out at work most of the time so the heating is only on for a few hours every day and the water is only heated in the morning (about enough for two showers and a few loads of pots in the morning and the evening).

Usually we order oil once a year and manage to go about 11 months before we order. Used a bit more this year though and ordered a month early (after month 10) due to the weather being very cold.

Cheers, it sounds like your usage would naturally be lower though. Anyone else?
  • tori.ktori.k Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a massive amount of oil to go thru in 2 months have you checked that you haven't got a leak somewhere, you should roughly be getting around 9.3kw of energy per LTR of oil, unless your heating something the size of a supermarket i can't see how you have managed to go thru that much oil in 58 days
  • Hi - I have a Worcester Danesmore 55kw condensing boiler, VERY rural location (top of Cheviot Hills!) 5 bed fairly big timber framed/stone house - 4 years old, d/glazed, very well insulated. We heat only three bedrooms and have a small log burner lit most days in the living room.
    Heating on for av of 2 hours per day unless its below freezing outside in which case its on constant at 16 degrees (otherwise pipes freeze!!!- boiler is in unheated garage) water on for 1 hour a day.

We had 1110 litres first week in Dec bear in mind from then till xmas we regularly hit -20 at night (and -13 daytime not unusual) we've used just under 500 litres.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my heating on for 5/6 hours a day and we have used about 800ltrs since 1st October

Thats a 5 bedroom, middle of a field, middling insulation, detached house

We do have stoves so as not to use the oil so much. When we first moved here, that first winter when we didnt have a clue, we would get through 900 litrs in six weeks by having it on all day - even though the thermostat was set lowish so the house was never what you could call toasty
  • Yep, I'm more convinced now that we have simply burned through it

Don't know whether this is better than the thought it may have been stolen or not!

It's more than I was expecting to use, but hey-ho
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm more convinced now that we have simply burned through it

Don't know whether this is better than the thought it may have been stolen or not!

It's more than I was expecting to use, but hey-ho

If it had been stolen you wouldn't have any left. Oil thieves come prepared for a tank load and usually strike just after delivery

You need to work out the settings on your system - make sure you don't have them set too high. No point in having the water so hot you use twice as much cold with it to make it bareable to use. And do you need the heating on for so many hours? I have mine come on and off on the timer throughout the day. Stays off just long enough that the house doesn't get cold.
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    If it had been stolen you wouldn't have any left. Oil thieves come prepared for a tank load and usually strike just after delivery

You need to work out the settings on your system - make sure you don't have them set too high. No point in having the water so hot you use twice as much cold with it to make it bareable to use. And do you need the heating on for so many hours? I have mine come on and off on the timer throughout the day. Stays off just long enough that the house doesn't get cold.

True I guess, although maybe they didn't have a big enough tank. ;)

Yeah, there will be a strict regime in future, two hours in morning, three in early evening, then just the coal fire!

May even turn off the water but for when we are having baths - it keeps a small tank hot all the time....boiling a kettle I guess is more efficient
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are keeping a tank of water hot all day that's where you are looking at the biggest wasted usage. But I thought on a combi you didn't have a tank and that the water was heated as required? Or are oil boiler different from gas?

Try as I have done and look at how your family live and work out when the house needs those bursts of heat. I have elderly disabled parents and they have to be warm as they aren't so mobile. My timer is worked around them. Hour in the morning so the house is warmer when they get up. Hour around 90 mins later when they have been sat a while. Hour at lunchtime and so on last time the boiler comes on is for 30 mins before their bed time so once again a nice warm bedroom and bathroom

We make a lot of use of the stoves. They have theirs lit every day in the afternoons. I have mine lit most of the day as I don't have the rads on in my rooms. If it weren't that I have to keep all the rooms they use warm I wouldn't use the oil at all.
  • Yep, the boiler just has a very small tank within the housing that it keeps warm, only enough for a bowl of washing up. Not even that much really
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides