We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Phones which show text messages as a conversation

KG
KG Posts: 333 Forumite
I need to buy a new phone. I am not bothered by any of the fancy things that many phones can do (including web browsing), the single most important functionality I would like from my new phone is that it can show text messages in a 'conversation' so I don't have to keep flipping between my inbox and sent messages to follow what's been said.

Am I right in thinking only phones using Google Android do this at present? Does anyone know of any others that do this? And can anyone recommend a good, cheap phone that will do this?

I quite like the idea of having an FM radio integrated too, but it's not essential

I'm just looking for a phone-only deal. I am happy with the rolling monthly contract I am on which suits my particular circumstances (I have researched this) as I don't want to be tied into a longer contract. I don't use my phone for the internet, just to make calls and, mostly, send texts.

Ta

KPG
«1

Comments

  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Sure many phones do now, but you're right about Android doing it. iOS does too.

    Orange (unlock it for nowt if needs be) San Francisco would be a good bet for you as it does support FM radio.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Perhaps a Nokia 5800, my Satio does show texts in conversation mode if required, do note though, it is limited by the amount of sent messages you wish to retain, which utilises memory and can eventually slow the handset down.
  • I have a sony ericsson Vivaz and it shows the conversations via text on it.

    It also has a radio funtion which can receive FM radio

    I have mine on contract though so couldn't tall you how much they'd be to buy
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0:j
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    My iphone does that.
  • KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    My iphone does that.

    Yep - ta but looking for something cheaper
  • KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    I have found an Alcatel OT-980 for about £80 from carphonewarehouse that does this. Not looking to pay more than that really.

    I was hoping the samsung tocco lite did this, as it's on special at the mo, but no such luck...

    KPG
  • glenn_m
    glenn_m Posts: 17 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Definitely have a look at the Sony Ericsson Elm. It's not Android, just a v nice feature phone with a great conversation view for SMS.
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    OH has HTC touch2 (I think) and it shows messages in convo form.
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • fto
    fto Posts: 588 Forumite
    The nokia c3 does this
    Phones4u sell them for 59.99.
  • My Blackberry Curve does
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.