We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Phones4u - Contract problem

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some help/guidance because I sold a contract that I didn't want.

It started off with me entering the store on the 27th November 2010 and asking a member of staff if I could have some information about the windows phone, and about changing network on a contract.

We spoke about the phone (Which i'll add, he didnt know much about) and then he took me to a desk which was at the back of the shop. He asked me a few questions about my current contract, my job etc and told me that he wanted to see what i'd be entitled to. He then told me that he needed my bank details to confirm some information. I then handed over my debit card, which didnt have my account information. When he realised this he pressured me into calling my bank, and kept on expressing that he needs this if he wants to give me any more information about the networks. He got me the number of Natwest and put them on the line and asked me to ask them for the account number, which I wasn't successful in achieving because I didnt know the answers to my security questions. He then got the number of T-mobile and asked me to do the same thing. I declined twice, but he kept on telling me 'Don't worry, I'm just trying to help' etc. I rung t-mobile and retrieved the account number.

At this time, I was feeling very uneasy about the situation and asked for my debit card back. He refused to return, using the response 'Don't worry, Im gonna help you'. He then entered my details onto the computer, added incorrect information. He then mentioned that it would more than likely cost £250 to cancel the t-mobile contract to move to orange, and that phones4u were able to do that.

He left the desk, and soon came back with documentation and asked me to sign it. I then questioned it because I only asked for information and at this time was confused to what was going on. He then called another member of staff and spoke to him in their own language. They both stood over me and kept asking me to sign the papers and ignored my questions about the documents.

After several requests, being told they are trying to help me, I signed the documents. Few minutes later I was given a new blackberry phone, £250 and a free card with money already on it and the Orange phone chip. They asked me if I was happy, I said No. They then gave me back my debit card and left the desk.

I didnt want a 2nd contract because I knew I was already struggling to pay the first one, and I made this very clear to them. They've refused to talk about it, and also passed me back to the person who served me, because the manager wasn't present at the time. The manager said there's nothing he can do.

Thats more or less it. Can anyone advise any direction or help me at all?

PS: I haven't used any minutes/texts/internet. Also I haven't turned on the phone. And the box was open when I received the phone. And there was no CCTV to view the area of the shop I was in.

Thanks in advance.
«1

Comments

  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    . He then called another member of staff and spoke to him in their own language. They both stood over me and kept asking me to sign the papers and ignored my questions about the documents.

    Was it German ???

    Did they have armbands on with a funny sort of cross on them ???
    It's not just about the money
  • No, they were Asian, couldn't tell you where from though.
  • i dont usnderstand why at anytime you didnt just leave the shop? or create a scene so you could draw attention to yourself??

    you gave him your bank card and you even signed the contract?...
  • It was because at the time I felt uncomfortable and didnt know what to do. I was told that in order for them to find out what could be done in regards to changing network I had to give them the details to do a credit check. And it's the first time i've been put in that kind of position, I really didnt know what to do.
  • chadwicksmith
    chadwicksmith Posts: 73 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2011 at 2:54AM
    well for now DO NOT USE THE SIM OR PHONE, leave the sim untouched...

    also this may help

    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/ask-an-expert/article.html?in_article_id=519612&in_page_id=513

    send them a email and see if they could help...
  • Thanks for that chadwick, it seems as if Im not the only person whos experienced this. I've e-mail Phones4u and I'm awaiting a reply currently.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Have I got this right?

    You wrote :-
    "After several requests, being told they are trying to help me, I signed the documents. Few minutes later I was given a new blackberry phone, £250 and a free card with money already on it and the Orange phone chip."

    Did you leave the shop, in November, with £250 in cash from them as well as the handset etc? If not, have they cancelled your original contract?
  • Yes...And no, they hadn't cancelled the original contract.
  • Annie._2
    Annie._2 Posts: 516 Forumite
    The £250 which P4U gave you was for you to buy yourself out of your other running contract.

    P4U cannot cancel the contract, you are the account holder and need to make the request, otherwise your other contract will continue rolling over and you will be billed.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yes...And no, they hadn't cancelled the original contract.

    So, some 6 weeks ago, you walked into a Phones4U shop, somehow agreed a contract with them and the network, they gave you a phone and £250 and you then walked out with both? Now, 6 weeks later, without any proof about the circumstances other than your own word - which I don't doubt, by the way - you are hoping that it can all be magic-ed away.

    Do you not see how difficult it is going to be for anyone - such as a network, Phones4U Head Office or even a court - to take your complaint seriously with these facts after all this time? If you hadn't committed to some sort of contract that was legally binding, why do you think they gave you £250 cash???

    I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but you may stand a chance if you are classed as a "vulnerable person" in law, but other than that, I just don't know what help anyone else here can offer you.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.